Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 06-10-2014

Default MCI Decals - can anyone confirm quality?

Hi all

I have seen some new repro decals on eBay from Canada, the seller is MCI decals who I believe is connected with TBG, has anyone used their decals and if so how do they stack up with the other repro decals available?

I am yet to use any of the repro decals I have, only thing I know is Marwan need heating to bend not sure of other brands

Any tips or experiences please share
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Optima Mid Custom Special
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 06-10-2014

I uses MCI's decals a lot recently, and one thing I like is these take bends very easily. That's very convenient.

The printed colors are bright enough, but color seperation isn't always spot on. At a small distance, this doesn't show that much. Here are a few pics of a body using these decals:

He is a pleasant guy to deal with, and ships fast. Also done some custom sheets for me.
Old 06-10-2014

Better than marwans thats for sure. If you make a mistake you can peel and restick. Doesnt seem to lose its adhesive so quickly like marwans.
Old 06-10-2014

Here are my Marwan repro body and decals for comparison. Both look good enough to me. Color separation probably varies a little between prints. I understand they are made to order.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ultimapro01.jpg (119.9 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by tahustvedt; 06-10-2014 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Typos. Please excuse my norwegian english. :)
Old 06-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyon View Post
Better than marwans thats for sure. If you make a mistake you can peel and restick. Doesnt seem to lose its adhesive so quickly like marwans.
That is true, you can peel and restick. Just as long as you don't pull too hard, or you may deform the decal as it can stretch easily. But when handled with care, these are easier to apply, due to this behavior.

Last edited by OptimaFan; 06-10-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-10-2014

The MCI decals pictured look like they're of a thinner material than the Marwan decals I used. That's a plus, and might explain why they conform to compound shapes better.

I had to peel and restick some of mine. The yellow and green on the "bonnet" for example.
Old 06-10-2014

The Mci are indeed thinner.
Old 07-10-2014
Mad Member

MCI feel more like vinyl, not the best print, but the adhere well and take to forming very well. I've just fitted some of the Masami sponsor logos to my YZ10, OK for the money if your looking for a few almost impossible vintage logos!

lee

Old 17-10-2014

Nathaniel (from MCI) is actually the nephew of Jon (from TBG). Both are very friendly to deal with and I have ordered many products from both. Can't compare to Marwan's as I have never bought any of his, but the MCI decals are very good for the price. They do stick very well and removing/resticking is not a problem.
Old 17-10-2014

Thanks for all the interesting info guys

I wonder if MCI would be able to do the alternate decals from the Turbo Optima Mid Special prototype for us
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 18-10-2014

If you scan a sheet for them 300dpi or better and they use it you will get a couple free sheets, and a discount. Very similar to the TBG deal. I'm sure he is open to any rare sheets, and it's non destructive unlike the body deal.
Old 18-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS_TRD View Post
Thanks for all the interesting info guys

I wonder if MCI would be able to do the alternate decals from the Turbo Optima Mid Special prototype for us
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomachv View Post
If you scan a sheet for them 300dpi or better and they use it you will get a couple free sheets, and a discount. Very similar to the TBG deal. I'm sure he is open to any rare sheets, and it's non destructive unlike the body deal.

That would be a great idea, but in this case we don't have an original sheet to replicate, or did I miss something?

But Nathanael is indeed very nice to deal with, he also did a few sheets of the Turbo Mid decals with red stripes instead of blue, as well as the custom wing decals for my Optima Mid ZX-R hybrid:

Old 18-10-2014

Oops, I thought you had access to a sheet.
Old 19-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomachv View Post
Oops, I thought you had access to a sheet.
Unfortunately all I really have to go by is these pictures from a magazine article

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107272

And these pics from Kyosho

http://www.retromodelisme.com/scan_p...o-page-27.html

Sadly none are in color but we should be able to improvise, someone with an original TOMS manual may be able to get a better scan or work out what colors the thick stripes should be

To have these stickers made is a backburner project of mine, I have all the bits to build a second TOMS NIP here and only really want to build it if I can make it look different to the first one, i.e. have these decals
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S

Last edited by HKS_TRD; 19-10-2014 at 12:45 AM.
Old 19-10-2014

Regarding those special TOMS decals, maybe more of us can try contact Kyosho? I tried, but as usual, didn't even get a reply. Maybe my email gets blocked, or they are not bothered to mail me back.

Last edited by OptimaFan; 19-10-2014 at 06:20 AM.
Old 19-10-2014

In a nutshell..i would buy mci decals again..they are cheap,look good and essy to peel and restick. Plus they really stay on the body after washing unlike marwans. Mci shipping is also cheaper than marwan.
Old 19-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optima4Ever View Post
Regarding those special TOMS decals, maybe more of us can try contact Kyosho? I tried, but as usual, didn't even get a reply. Maybe my email gets blocked, or they are not bothered to mail me back.
Probably no one left that knows anything about them
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 19-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS_TRD View Post
Probably no one left that knows anything about them
If that is the case, then I would at least expect an answer explaining that. But I doubt that a company like Kyosho, that is proud of it's heritage, would not have any documentation of this version of one of their iconic rc cars.

I only got a reply that this question was forwarded to Kyosho Japan, as Kyosho America didn't know the answer, and since then silence for months. I sent a new message to Kyosho America, asking if they can follow up on it, and contact Japan again.
Old 19-10-2014

I don't think any kits were sold with those decals, they were only on the prototypes, you can see in the magazine scan the car has SWB belts on it.
The Custom Special was sold with different stickers to what appeared in Kyosho photod
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 20-10-2014

I know, but for instance the picture on that manual must have been taken in color likely, and later converted to black and white for use in the manual. And that japanese magazine, introducing the car, doesn't that lead anywhere?