Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 08-06-2008

Default Hi all... newbie questions regarding DB-01.

I'm terribly new at this... it's been so long ago since Tamiya's grasshopper days even though it's been re-released.... so i hope you new fellas can help this old guy out.

I'm an ex-pat currently working in Shanghai, China.... the hobby shops here are terrible... they have VERY little knowledge of what they sell and because there are so few shops around (like 4-5 shops in the whole city!) they become snobbish. To make things worse, RCs' are considered childs-play hence the interest is low... scenes are much better down south closer to HK as everyone knows HK is toy land.... anyway, enough of the back ground.

When I decided to try my hand out in RC again, i'd try the new stuff...did a little asking around and i started with a M1025 Hummer (yeah, even THAT is new to me), it was OK...so hop it up with Futaba MC230CR ESC, full bearings and a 23T super stock BZ motor for more torque...it was good fun despite the fact that there isn't any tracks found in SH at all...so local construction sites would be fine.

Then NO thanks to Oople... i was hooked on all the tricked out stuff.... i thought i start slow with the Baldre, the ugly twin to Durga (it's the only DB01 i can find here other than the 501X)... so here are my questions;

when i bought the Baldre, i wanted a power-up from the stock Mabuchi 540...the shop said i could use a Yokomo 15T D-1M....I'm running a MC330CR ESC hence i thought it was ok to handle the power....until i saw the Durga review. Please forgive my moron question AFTER installing the motor... IS the D-1M motor suitable for DB01's non slipper set-up? Or a Drift motor is not suitable at all? What are my options? (and my options are limited..) Or simpy running a hop-up kit slipper would be fine?

Thank you in advance for any feedback or advise....

Eric.
Old 09-06-2008
Mad Member

I doubt that a drift motor is significantly different to the knd of motor we race with. Since it is a 15 turn your MC330 ESC should be able to handle it.

I don't think a 15-turn is going to cause instant problems for the direct-drive setup. Not enough power really. I ran a competition 19T motor (which is probably as fast or faster than the Yokomo 15T) in the car a few times and there was no ill effect beyond a slight slackening of the rear diff - which seems to happen anyway with the kit parts, I still need to adjust it from time to time with the slipper fitted. The only times that the direct drive really suffers is if you land a big jump with the throttle full on. IN fact I much prefer the feel of the direct drive but run the slipper as a precaution.
Old 09-06-2008

Thank you for the feed back... for awhile there i thought no one is going to border...

i had the same feeling that the D-1M motor isn't as or even close to a powerful motor like a Mamba X or Vantage (yeah... did some research over the last few days)... anyhow, i'm ordering a slipper just incase i decide to go brushless...

Thanks again!
Old 16-06-2008

The MC330CR is overrated by Futaba. My friend thermalled his in a 5-minute touring car race with a 23-turn motor. Not sure what gear ratio he used, but he's a careful guy, so I'm thinking something sensible.

No big deal. Just make sure it cools down enough before you run it again. But if its taking the fun out of the hobby, consider upgrading the ESC to something more capable.
Old 20-06-2008

Thanks sim for the heads-up... am already looking into a new ESC... they have a new track here in SH but have to share it with GPs (have to watch out) so it's large and like you said... the 330CR might not hold it together.