Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Faversham Off Road Car Club

Old 23-01-2010
Mad Member

i think two finals would be a little over the top and i also think a practise is needed just to give the cars a shake down things do go wrong and a practise is a good indecation if the problem is cured.
Old 23-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
i think two finals would be a little over the top and i also think a practise is needed just to give the cars a shake down things do go wrong and a practise is a good indecation if the problem is cured.
I think your right Stu, 2 finals is a bit much to squeeze in. But this brings us back to running an extra heat intead of practice. How about (if we are all on time and booked in fast enough) 1 extra heat at the start of the evening in our heat orders/positions that was maybe a set 5 minutes but no lap times that way there would be no pressure to perform but would give us a shakedown of the cars and a feel for the track just like at a national, and then on to the normal 3 heats? rather than a final as such?
Old 23-01-2010
Mad Member

the problem with a timed practise as such we would still need to consider the youngsters and after all it is club racing what i think would need to happen after the track is built practise opens and at a set time practise will be stopped the tr loop put down and racing starts early enough to race 3 rounds and 1 final.

stu
Old 23-01-2010

All good points boys so far but as you can see the commity are mostly keeping off this post to let you guys have your say.

As i said last night it's great to hear these suggestions but obviouslt we can not promise to change the way we run the club.

Myself personaly and this IS my own personal opinion we do need to change something but trust me it's not as easy as it sounds. My origional point was regards the booking in ie. the time this takes and thus far i have not heard any of you discussing this point because all your suggestions are based upon us making up lots of wasted time and where do we waste most time BOOKING IN!!!

So keep the comments coming guys but please think hard regards the booking in one please.

Kind regards Alan
Old 23-01-2010
Mad Member

yes alan you are correct we all need to book in i think the only way you would force people to book in straight away is to not alow practise to open until this is done. i hold my hands up and i can only apologise im one of the chased and the only reason for it is i get so carried away with my car setup changes etc. but on the other hand if every body knew that booking in was closed at a certain time and if you havent booked in by that point you dont race and be hard about it soon wouldn't be a problem and it will give yourself chance to work on your own car.

stu
Old 23-01-2010

Ok, my contribution. We have a club to be proud of!
Enviable numbers with quality drivers and some outstanding talent in the young blood.
We are mollicoddled at Faversham and perhaps we should be more appreciative of those who run the club and at the same time adopt race nights that follow the regional/national set up.
This would be booking in first, 3 qualifying rounds and subsequent finals.
2 minute intervals and relief marshalling are good disciplines.
Those who are unable to get there before 7.15-7.30 should make sure their car is ready the night before with battery charged!
Finals in ascending order, should enable the young ones to finish at a reasonable time. If they are talented, then tough, they will have to stay later! (my old age envy!!).
Why don't we give it a trial and see how it goes...

On a separate matter, what's happening with the outdoor track?
Old 23-01-2010

I think having a time limit may put some people off. Im pretty lucky as i can get there early (which gives me no excuse for booking in late! sorry alan!).
However for those who live further away, leave work later or get lifts in, it may be hard to get there on a time limit.
How about we simply move the bookng-in sheet to just inside the door? You pay as you enter and that way you have to pay before you get anything set up?
At the moment its very easy to walk in get everything going and completely forget to do it.
Old 23-01-2010
Mad Member

alternativly if you cant make it before booking in closes maybe a text or somthing to alan or whoever to have you booked in all you would need to do is pay at least the numbers would be correct for john to do the computer stuff.
Old 23-01-2010

Firstly I think Alan, Dave & John do a great job running the club. especially trying to keep us all in line..

I like the idea of a time limit on booking in, and also 3Q's and a final.

The auto timing between races also worked really well last week. With the numbers we are getting at the club, something will need to change, otherwise we will be there until midnight..

As long as i could drop Alan a txt to book in that all works fine for me. Cant get over as early now due to job.

We might also need to look at the pit area, as if you don't get there early you have nowhere to pit. With the high numbers every week this is going to get very tight..

Old but still enjoying myself.
Old 23-01-2010

i often let allan no if im running late but that isnt realy an ideal resovle as he would have to spend ages either reading txts or answering calls ,we have the same problem with booking in at kmrc as we the same way as forcc to not put preasure on people ,i think there should be a time set for last booking in so that racing can start at a set time .how about pre booking for the next meeting ,that way jodi could tick off names and take the money as allan could bookin the others?that could save quite a bit of time.also if the track was open for practise between say 6.45-7,15 and then closed that would give 15 mins for those that havnt booked in to do so before 7.30 .another idea would be to book every one staight in on the pc rater than paper then on to the pc that could save 10/15mins (i no that isnt as easy as it sounds),the other point some ome mentiond was the lack of pitting space when i started at forcc the were 3/4 around 2 tabels since then we have put another tabel at the end and went up to any whare between 5 and 7 around the same space last week there was 8 of use and not realy enough room to put your car down maybe if we keep geying these numbers could we use the back of the stage area for extra pitting or ask the hall owner if they can make some space buy moving some of the chairs or other stuff in a few of the corners to a less used part of the hall???? that was only ment to be a quick reply lol
trakpower
Old 23-01-2010

You could do a pre booking in on the web or people pay for a month of racing if u have a print out of people you could mark next to them who has paid and how long for maybe just a idea .. more ideas gives you more of a chance of finding a good one but it is always hard to get it all done i think just because we all turn up set up then think about paying
Old 23-01-2010
Mad Member

mark has a good point if everybody who races has an ability level and a percentage in the computer system like i previously maentioned and the booking in was put straight into the computer it would save a lot of time as alan wouldn't need to sit down next to john manualy entering the information the computer system would produce the heat listings to ability level rather than previouse weeks results which in my view can only be a good thing. after all we just wanna race.

stu
Old 23-01-2010

lol that would have saved me a lot of this typing malarky if d thaught of it lol
trakpower
Old 24-01-2010

I normally know if i will, or will not be racing the following week. If everybody (or the majority) was in this position then, as suggested earlier, the booking in could possibly be done the week before.

Because we race on a different track each week, practice is helpful to many racers to learn the track. however i feel the majority of the gain would be in the first couple of mins, maybe any practice round need only be 2 mins? (if we were to have one).

With 58+ drivers, personally i feel it would be dificult to offer finals. We have the kids, but also most of us have work the following day, and some get up early.....

We have pitted on the stage before, this could be a possibility for the future.

I think we could aim for a 7:30 start if pre-booked in with the computer ready to go... we will have to work out if this is realistic.

The formula that we currently run to would not seem to be doing us any harm. I understand your point stu, about the grading, but the way we run is that the individual members race for position the following week. if we insert casual drivers into the top heat individuals that have earned the position need to be displaced. I think if somebody is comming regularly like ed this could be looked at, and there are other problems putting fast drivers into the slowest heats. In general i think Alan does a great job in juggling the heats about to get a good evenings racing, but i feel there is a rock and a hard place here. Not easy.....

its late, and i'm rambling sorry, i guess there is much to discuss....

Ollie
Old 24-01-2010
Mad Member

Question

1: Who wants good close racing?

2: Who wants to race against the clock?
Old 24-01-2010

Was thinking about the issue of a driver being absent for a period. Although at the moment we do it based on the previous weeks performance, it could be possible to do it based on the last individual performance, therefore if a member comes 3rd and cannot come for a couple of weeks then he could be entered in at position 3 the next meeting he attends. Like a joint 3rd.

If individuals have a bad week and drop down a heat, i think that is fair enough........

Also if we were to introduce a table on the stage for the cars and transmitters we could potentially shave a bit of time between rounds. with so many heats charging will not be a problem.

stu: i'll have a stab....

1: I think that is what the system is trying to deliver. As far a regular members go it is not too bad a system to run. Guest drivers and drivers who cannot commit to weekly racing are the problem, but in general these are in the minority. My personal opinion is that 13.5t motors actually compromises 'good close racing' throughout the club, 17.5 or 21.5 would be better but we are down a particular alley.....

2: Nobody, that is why you try to do well and qualify for the appropriate heat...... to race against individuals of a similar standard...... for 'good close racing' !
Old 24-01-2010

With regards to pre-booking in, i know we will always get individuals who turn up on the night, if we were to close 'on the night' booking at 7:10 say, that may be enough time to get racing on the start line by 7:30. Everybody who gets in a little later would have to be pre-booked in.
Old 24-01-2010
Mad Member

if we had a qualifying format and finals with grading it wouldn't matter about next weeks listings or people not being able to turn up every week you would always race againts people with simular ability and if you have a bad eve you would still be racing againts people with simular ability that night in the final.

it seems to me we only race for next weeks starting postion why is this
Old 24-01-2010

7.30 is a pretty viable time to start actual racing i would say but, what time is acceptable to finish racing? Bearing in mind the younger ones that race.

Reason for asking is, with the numbers turning up at the moment running 3 qualifying rounds and then finals with the 2min turn round would mean last race finishes at 11.10pm!! Thats a bit late in my opinion! Thats only allowing for 8 heats of 7 and 7 finals of 8, (56 people). There was more than that last week without Ollie and myself so a couple more would mean yet another heat and last race around 11.35pm, much too late.
Old 24-01-2010

As for what Alan said at the start about time lost booking people in. I like the idea of doing it when you arrive. If we can sort something out there it must be a good thing, not just for Alan but also to get the racing going earlier