Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 21-09-2013

Default STOLEN CARS - PLEASE READ!

Hi people,

Just recently been getting back into 1/10th scale RC cars after almost 15-20 years off! Have had my garage broken into and a couple of cars stolen, both of which I had just finished kitting out and getting set up exactly how I wanted them. I would be very grateful if people could keep an eye out for anything that matches the description being sold (by someone dodgy!) any time soon, probably in the Leeds or West Yorkshire area. If so, please email jamesrhindle@yahoo.co.uk.

The first car was a Durango DEX410, which I had kitted out with all (literally all - I even went as far as ordering the front alloy Tresrey gearbox hoop from America because it was discontinued over here!) the Tresrey red alloy stuff. It had titanium 'buckles, all the other Tresrey stuff (big bore coated shocks, alloy shock caps, NiTi pivot pins, the lot!) and was fitted with Tekin RS Pro speedo, first gen redline 5.5t motor, Core RC radio gear and battery. The shell was clear, unpainted. It cost me a fortune to set this up, and I'm seething!

But not as mad about that as I am about the other. It was my old Cat 2000 ec with 2 shells, one painted (badly!) with a phoenix on a grey/black background and one clear, it also had all the carbon bits and all the purple alloy bits too, plus titanium 'buckles. There were no electrics in this, plus the lower chassis was the black fibreglass as I had removed the carbon one temporarily to send off as a template to have a carbon tub chassis made. This was the last thing I had to do to pimp up both of these cars, and some scrote nicked them! This one is very sentimental for me, first car I ever owned and I have put weeks or months of time and effort into it over the years.

I would be very grateful indeed if anyone hears anything, or sees anything, if they could contact me straight away and try to get some contact details for the seller. Again, my email is jamesrhindle@yahoo.co.uk.

Many thanks and sorry to ramble on, I'm just gutted about this!

James
Old 21-09-2013
Mad Member

Any pictures of these cars?
Old 21-09-2013

Hi

I had the same thing happen to my Durango, I got them back just last week.

Check out the local play grounds.
Old 21-09-2013
Mad Member

Default pictures

get some pics on here if you have them, reeeewaly helps.

keep checking all the normal ebay, gumtree, loot ads etc. and yes go to the local playground, BMX tracks etc and you may spot them.
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 22-09-2013

Yeah, I wish I had some pics of the Durango but I don't take many and hadn't got any of it I'm not much of a photographer!

On the Cat - again don't have many apart from some when it had its carbon tub on, which I was sending to fibrelyte to see if they could make a new one (it suffered under my driving and cracked at front gearbox mount!). It now has the standard black fibreglass chassis on because to tub is with fibrelyte, otherwise its exactly as the pic just without electronics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00027.JPG (374.5 KB, 85 views)
Old 22-09-2013

Oops - that's one from before I fit the carbon tub lol!
Old 22-09-2013
Mad Member

Guttrd for you mate, is it worth an insurance claim? You'll have proof of all money you spent on durango at least.
Old 25-09-2013

Stating the obvious really,but have you let the local model shops know?
Morley Models,
MB Models,
Flying Models,Cross gates [even though they don`t do many cars anymore,Martin would keep an eye out]
Modelsport,
Chambers in Ponty?,
Anyone know any other model shops they might turn up at?
I will keep my eyes open seen as i`m local.

Very best of luck.
Old 26-09-2013

Hi people,

Just a bit of an update, but first thank you all for your kind words, help and advice. I did call some of the model shops, and also the clubs, cash converter shops etc etc, and all were very helpful and understanding. Nice to know there are some good people out there - thanks again!

As for the update, some tools were stolen along with the cars (DIY stuff), plus mountain bikes, road bikes, etc - lots of stuff basically! I saw one of the bikes on gumtree and managed to retrieve it which was a great relief, and nice to see some justice for the perp (at the hands of the police ofc!...). I had given up hope on the other stuff, but randomly popped in a search for the tools, one last time. Result!! Went to see them and there in the very same garage was all my car kit (dissipated across the garage and used, and a little abused, but still nothing a bit of TLC won't take care of!).

The other stuff that was taken is still missing, but I have given up on finding that now, and none as sentimental as my trusty Cat 2000! Such a relief, and that stuff never gets put in the garage again!

Once more, thank you all and hope to see you racing soon!

Keep safe.
Old 26-09-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyhindle View Post
Hi people,

Just a bit of an update, but first thank you all for your kind words, help and advice. I did call some of the model shops, and also the clubs, cash converter shops etc etc, and all were very helpful and understanding. Nice to know there are some good people out there - thanks again!

As for the update, some tools were stolen along with the cars (DIY stuff), plus mountain bikes, road bikes, etc - lots of stuff basically! I saw one of the bikes on gumtree and managed to retrieve it which was a great relief, and nice to see some justice for the perp (at the hands of the police ofc!...). I had given up hope on the other stuff, but randomly popped in a search for the tools, one last time. Result!! Went to see them and there in the very same garage was all my car kit (dissipated across the garage and used, and a little abused, but still nothing a bit of TLC won't take care of!).

The other stuff that was taken is still missing, but I have given up on finding that now, and none as sentimental as my trusty Cat 2000! Such a relief, and that stuff never gets put in the garage again!

Once more, thank you all and hope to see you racing soon!

Keep safe.
Old 26-09-2013

That's awesome! How did you approach him knowing he had stolen your stuff? You leave and call the police afterwards?

Awesome result! :-)
Old 26-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Fantastic news! Hope to see you racing again in Cully or Batley soon.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 26-09-2013

West Yorkshire Police are looking for help. They found a man in a garage and a dictaphone.
Transcript: '<name> let's play a game. Inside you is a LiPo, and the wires exiting your pants lead to an LRP charger on the wrong setting. Taped to your sealed hands are hobby knifes. Lets see just how important it is for you to get your hands on my stuff. Yours, Jimsaw

If you need an alibi, let us know.
Old 26-09-2013
Mad Member

Default LOVE IT!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benh View Post
West Yorkshire Police are looking for help. They found a man in a garage and a dictaphone.
Transcript: '<name> let's play a game. Inside you is a LiPo, and the wires exiting your pants lead to an LRP charger on the wrong setting. Taped to your sealed hands are hobby knifes. Lets see just how important it is for you to get your hands on my stuff. Yours, Jimsaw

If you need an alibi, let us know.
AWSOME.

Glad you got most of the gear back. miracle I say!
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 29-09-2013

Hahahaha - love it, if I had the chance to go back and rerun the whole experience "Saw" style, that's what I'd have done! Hmmm...

It is indeed a miracle - couldn't believe it. I spotted the tools on gumtree but had seen, and recovered, one of the pushbikes that had been taken the same way, with the police helping. With the bike, they went to view it and retrieve it on behalf of me, as the guy selling was known to them. With the cars, I only saw the tools up for sale, but knew they had gone from the same garage as my cars and so was hopeful (different garage to the bike however - yep - two garages broken into within a few days of each other, one a home garage, one a storage garage a few miles away!). Went to view them with the police, and when the garage opened, surprise surprise, not only were my tools there, but all the car kit too. Had been tinkered with a bit and obviously driven around (badly given the state of the bumper and wishbones) but was almost all there, just strewn out across the garage. May have lost a few allen drivers, soldering iron and some spares but otherwise sweet relief.

I have now set up the most elaborate portcullis trap surrounding all my valuable property, and have changed my career to one of sitting, waiting and watching it all, with lipo, charger and scalpels all prepped and ready!

Thanks for all the well wishing and kind words of support and advice folks, horrible experience but guess I've used up a little bit of my luck quota.

Take care and enjoy racing - will look forward to hitting the track again soon