Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8 Nitro Off Road / Rallycross

Old 07-02-2012

Default Getting into Rallycross

I've just posted a thread on the general forum about which class to to jump back into but deep down a really d fancy giving Rallycross a proper go.

I've raced a lot of classes over the years but haven't so much as looked at RC racing in about 7 years.

I live in the Northants/Oxfordshire area, how well supported is Rallycross. Is this class still going strong generally. Have there been many changes in the class in the past 7 years or so?

And lastly, what's a good solid set-up? What chassis/engines are winning races?

Sorry for all the questions. It's been such a long time I feel completely out of the loop now.

Cheers folks!
Old 07-02-2012

You have some good tracks for 1/8th rally cross not too far from you- coventry, Herts, Slough.

Chassis wise I would sugggest a car that your local hobby shop keeps spares off. Get a good engine thorugh like an OS as they make life easy for a begineer.
Old 07-02-2012

just going to stick my opinion in here. firstly not to poopoo the engine advice given earlier but o.s would NOT be a choice for a beginner in my opinion. you need to learn a bit about engine care/tuning etc before you go spending over 300 qudi on an engine. Alpha, werks, argus all make really good engines for not alot of money (sub £200) I run the new novarossi plus 4 btt engine which is a 300 quid engine but i started off with alphas and never had an issue with them. Chassis wise i have driven associated and losi in 1/8th rallycross and i found the losi so much easier to drive. My first meeting with the losi buggy (8ight 2.0 eu) i went out and won the b final by nearly 30 seconds. Alot of it is just down to prefernce IMO and what you like and what you can afford. Personnaly I would go down to your nearest club and have a chat with the drivers there, see what they run find out whats good and bad about each buggy/engine and people will always be willing to help beginners. The agama is doing very well at the minute with alot of people changing over to it. I think either a losi or agama and werks/alpha engines would be a good start but what i can say is get the best servos and radio you can afford because if you have got hundreds of pounds worth of kit hurtleing round a track you dont want it runing away from you due to cheap radio gear.
anyway hope that helps. anymore info needed the feel free to pm me.

james
Speed Passion
Airtronics
JC Racing

Paint by The Chef
Graphic skins by RC DC
Old 08-02-2012
Mad Member

I'd agree with the above and put a plus one in for the Agama, great car ! I've got an Alpha engine but I'd recommend the Argus ones too.

You need to get to your local club or clubs where you're are most likely to use it. See what people are running, ask what's popular. If you break something and a lot of people are running the same car you've got a chance of carrying on as someone will probably have a spare... If not it could end your day early

Also work out your budget, see what you can afford. Plenty of good used chassis around. Have a look at the for sale section on here or try Max Bashing, more 8th nitro stuff on there.

My paintwork thread