Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Silverstone

Old 02-01-2016

Default Soon to be new member - some info please

Hi guys,

Getting back into racing after 20 years out the sport.

I've been emailing George from the club who has been giving me loads of useful info. Don't want to keep pestering the guy as i'm sure he has better things to do than replying to my constant stream of questions so i just have a couple more questions I hope some of you may be able to answer.

I've taken a gamble an ordered the new losi 22 3.0. I've had a couple of losi's back many years ago and got on well with them so fingers crossed this buggy works out ok.

Anyway...

Tyre inserts - what tyre inserts do I need? You run cut staggers on the front? If so whats a good starting point for trimming them down? Outside rows, every other row etc?

PTX - what transponder do i need to run with your timing equipment and where can I purchase one from?

Finally (for now) this will be the first time i've ever used Lipo's so when it comes to charging, do you guys just charge your packs the night before and give them a boost in the morning or are they just good to go after a charge the night before?

I may be dropping by tomorrow to the warm up meet, just to see what everyone's running etc.

Cheers guys,

Simon
Old 02-01-2016

Oh, also. I've ordered an 8.5 t motor. What pinions should i stock the tool box up with? I'm going to be very rusty so i'd like to keep the initial 'punch' to a minimum to begin with.
Old 02-01-2016

Hi Simon,
Welcome!
It is easier to answer all these questions if you can pop down to the club at some point.
I don't know of anyone running a losi at Silverstone but I'm sure you can get it working, there are lost of Schumacher, Team C and Yokomo cars.
I run Medium Schumacher rear inserts in Schumacher yellow mini spikes and either low profile yellow staggers or cut staggers on the front without any insert.
I would say don't trim anything off to start with and see how the balance feels first.

8.5T motor will be about right. For gearing look at the car manual and the recommended gear ratio that comes with the motor, or look up losi setup sheets online.

We do have a couple of spare transponders at the club that you could borrow initially, while you seek advice of which PT to go for. I think there are good MRT ones available now that are cheaper than mylaps.

If possible its better to charge lipos on the race day, they don't like being stored fully charged, you can probably get away with it overnight if you need to, but I prefer to charge just before the race if possible. They also must not ever be fully discharged, they are quite different to the old Nicads!

Feel free to come and find me tomorrow if you get there.
Cheers,
Nigel

Nigel Powell - Schumacher - Silverstone RCMCC