Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 12-02-2016

Default GT12 info

Hi guys,

Fancy giving GT12 racing a go. Never done any sort of on road racing before so completely new territory to me. The milton keynes club is my local.

Just wanted to ask about a basic set-up. Obviously the new Atom is the chassis to plump for but in terms of electric kit i'm assuming Core- RC kit will be adequate?

Is there a limit on battery capacity in this class?
Old 12-02-2016

Hi si
I am assuming this will be a standard reply from a lot of people, but following this forum a lot of people like you get told to visit there local club and see what they are running i.e cars / electrics/ tyres etc you will get to see the cars run and get some good advise off them , I've seen this advice given out on oople loads of times and it's seems a good advise to me.
Old 13-02-2016

Hi,

As above is quite important as there's a few things that can trip up people that have raced other classes and it is best to get it right first time. There's some good, helpful people at the Milton Keynes club so go there and have a chat with them. I'll try to explain some though.

As far as the Atom is concerned, initially build it as kit, the base setup is good, as are the supplied tyres. Make sure you get the Pro kit though.

Only 13.5 motors and 1S cells are allowed. Most clubs run to the BRCA lists. The Core equipment is on the list and is good to start with but you'l probably want to upgrade it at some point as you progress. Life's easier if you get a 1S compatible ESC so you don't need a booster.

BRCA approved cells motors and ESCs are at https://www.brca.org/sections/eb/.

You want the brushless motors 13.5, 1S stick LiPo and approved Blinky ESCs lists.

Tyres are foam. It is possible to run kit sizes but it is better to true them down. The new Atom tyres are available at trued down sizes so makes life easier again. Otherwise there's always someone willing to true a few for you until you have your own equipment.

Additive, almost all clubs run to the BRCA list here https://www.brca.org/33-approved-add...-2015-2016-pdf. Other additives can damage both tyres and carpet. It is best to learn additive use from someone else but it is not too hard when you get used to it.

That's a start off the top of my head.

Happy racing!
Old 13-02-2016

Trevor has given the best piece of advice. If we are your local club then come along to Milton Keynes one Sunday morning and get all the advice you need to avoid making any expensive mistakes.

GT12 is by far our biggest class and you will find experienced racers with every one of the current cars happy to help.

Alan