Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 30-12-2015

Default Returning to the sport - help me build my buggy please

Hi guys,

I have been out of the sport for a long time. So much has changed since I last raced so I could really do with some help with a build.

I'll be doing indoor club and hopefully the occasional brca regional - 2WD. I've got my heart set on an B5M as i've always been an associated driver. Is the b5m lite the one to go for?

Beyond the kit i'm lost. I want a decent set-up but i'm not going to be gunning for world championships so looking at mid- high kit in respect of esc/motors etc.

I'm also a stick driver so again was looking at the Futaba t4 tranny.

So, A good brushless, lipo fuelled set-up. Not absolute cream of the crop but not budget either.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Old 30-12-2015

Welcome back back in the 80's I used to run a RC10 and when I came back about four years ago bought an Associated B4; we're now running Schumacher KF2's, with regards to a brushless speed controller you can buy the current LRP Flow Works which is the top of the range for about £110. Regarding motors starting out I'd be looking at 8.5 turn to 10.5 turn.
Old 30-12-2015
Mad Member

Go for the b5m CE
Old 30-12-2015

Stick wise we use the Sanwa Gemini X think they're about £ 150 new.
Old 30-12-2015

Of all the B5Ms, if you're really set on one, the CE is probably the one to plump for. Similar normal mid motor cars, such as the Serpent SRX2 MM, are your best bet if you're running all year round with one car, in both high and low grip.

Electrics wise, you might get a bit confused with some of the adjustable parameters available to you with modern brushless systems. The Vampire SR1+ is able to adjust boost and timing itself to give you the smoothest car possible no matter the track layout, and Inside Line Models have it in for £93 currently - pretty good for a pro ESC. Motor wise, a 10.5 would be good for a small indoor track, but if you're going to be running outdoors too an 8.5 would be a good place to get started.

You'll need a good strong servo, but any metal geared offering from KO, Savox, Futaba, XPert or Sanwa will do fine. There are a few other brands out there with good stuff, but the ones listed are generally the most popular. Shorty LiPos are generally the most versatile, and more cars are being designed around them, so I would suggest getting one of those - there are loads of various brands offering batteries at different price points, so check the BRCA homologation list and see what you'd feel happy spending - £50 should get you something decent. Orion, LRP, Intellect, ORCA, Balls Out are all pretty popular currently.
Old 31-12-2015

Thanks guys for your help.

Buggy#0 - looking at your suggestions I did a little more research (head is currently spinning!) and I've put together this build and just wondered if you could advise whether you think it sounds a decent set-up. The Serpent buggy sounds very good after doing some research as does the Vampire kit (well priced too)

So -

Serpent Spyder Buggy SXR-2 MM
Vampire SR1+ Speedo
Vampire Ab plus v2 8.5 Motor
Intellect Lipo 5000mah 100c 2s Shorty

A couple more questions on that. Batteries I'm finding pretty confusing, so would these shorty packs I've listed fit into the serpent fine and also would 2 packs be enough for club racing etc? and capacity wise are they good enough?

And also, on the charger front I was looking at the SKY RC RS16. Seems decent for the price? Good enough and presumably can be powered by a 12 Bolt leisure battery?

Thanks again.
Old 31-12-2015

Sounds great. Shorty packs will go in the Serpent fine, transverse as standard or inline if you cut down some of the chassis. Capacity doesn't matter with LiPos as it did with NiMh or NiCads, you're only going to be using about 1500mah at the most during a 5 minute race. Two packs is more than adequate for a day of racing. The C rating is what is important - the higher the value, the more "punch" the cells have. 100C is hard to beat, even with the quality of today's cells.

Charger-wise, as long as you can balance charge LiPos, there's no need to buy anything expensive. I bought a £50 Overlander RC-6S AC Pro charger in 2012 and it's never missed a beat. Any similar models (the HPI Reactor 500 looks to be identical, or very closely related) will be more than adequate - the SkyRC RS16 you mentioned looks fine. You can run from a 12v outdoors, if you're running indoors you should be able to find a wall socket. When you do come round to charging LiPos, there are countless guides online as to how to properly do it. As long as you're not daft with them you'll have no issues.

Car-wise, you won't be disappointed with the Serpent. The only thing we run differently from standard on the team is the RudeBits acetal idler gears, other than that it's absolutely bulletproof. I've had several hefty whacks (both indoors and outdoors) that would've taken wishbones clean off on my old Schumacher, and the MM has come out without a scratch. You'll find it incredibly easy to drive, not twitchy, and a breeze to set up - we have setup sheets over on www.serpentuk.com if you ever get stuck. The Facebook group Serpent Spyder is also a great place for help and general advice.
Old 31-12-2015

Fantastic. Cheers for taking the time to reply with all that info!

Debit card at the ready. Time to get ordering.
Old 31-12-2015

No problem. If you need any tips or come across any issues feel free to shoot me a PM.
Old 01-01-2016

*Servo-I would go for an Xpert servo, as the Savox servos are power hogs and can glitch/brown out in the right conditions (I run a couple of them)
*ESC's I personally love the Speed Passion 1.1 pro's
*Motors- I like Orion and Speed Passion stuff (SP is good value) as someone else said a 8.5-10.5 will work good
*Lipo's- Turnigy shorty lipo's cannot be beat for the price. I like the Core lipo's too
*Charger- I have both a hitec X1 and Hyperion. Always balance charge at 1c for maximum lipo life.
* Buggy- I know you are an Associated guy, but for very high grip there are better buggies available (unless you want to upgrade it all for a Reds laydown transmission) As the B5M was developed for American clay tracks. I would look at the PRS1, Xray XB2, he new Sworkz, a YZ2 or KF2 SE.