Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 13-03-2016

Default Coming back to Off Road

Hi

I am going to make a reappearance after 20 odd years racing.

I have made a list of things that I want to start with.

Please can you look at and let me know as I really want to get everything together with descent equipment.

First 2WD Car. Schumacher KF2 SE with Upper Gearbox and 5% castor blocks, possible anti roll bar set and Alloy Servo mount, 76t Slipper spur (any else?)

Tamco/Code/Etronix 3 channel stick radio - to start with as not raced for so long, then progress to more expensive stick radio (Futuba 4T GRS, Sanwa Z, or KO Esprit IV.

Speed Passion Reventon Pro 1.1 combo with 10.5 T V3 motor

7.5 Speed Passion V4 motor

Turnigy Ultimate 4600 100C Shorty Lipo's

Sanwa 1258 TG Servo

Turnigy X120 Charger.

25 to 45 Wt (equivalent shock oils)

5000 to 10000wt Diff Oil

Allen Drivers 1.5 to 2.5mm

Nut Spinners 2mm to 5.5mm

Yellow and Silver minispikes (Schumacher)
Cut Staggered and Staggered fronts in Silver and Yellow compound.

Mylaps Harry Transponder.

Does that sound like a good starting point.

Its going to be a long learning curve this year, as everything seems to be adjustable (Car obviously and then ESC, transmitter, charger, motor timing).

Advice is required as I really would like to get out and spend a few weekends testing.

Many thanks

MC
Old 13-03-2016
Mad Member

I would consider getting the reventon pro combo with a v4 motor or change the 7.5t motor to a v3 to mtch as the v4 an v3 have different connectors on (assuming u will be swapping between the two)
Old 13-03-2016
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to danDanEFC

I will be stealing the phrase 'nut spinners'

Check out what is used at your track re setups. No pint buying 5 different diff oils if you only use 15k.
Old 14-03-2016
Mad Member

don't limit yourself to specific items as your list

look out on here for s/h bargains you may get a "retirement" full kit for a lot less than you had estimated

(that's not to say your list is a poor choice its not )

look at your local track and see what predominant if your going to be the only Schumacher driver (unlikely) then pick the favoured brand to start with track settings and "borrowable" spares will be more easily available

my only advice really is go for the better radio first (even if its s/hand )
you may get frustrated with a budget unit quickly

regards dave
Old 14-03-2016
Mad Member

As above, it will worth looking at a,second hand radio. I've just sold a Sanwa exzes plus in good condition for £70 with two receivers, even a used motor and speedo combo.

Don't forget you will need wheels as well as tyres, these are worth looking at second hand if you want to keep the budget down to begin with. You will also need a 7mm "Nut spinner" for the wheel nuts and slipper adjustments.

Schumacher F1..The original KF.
TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 14-03-2016

the kf2 only needs a 5.5mm and a 7mm nut driver. I'd also be recommending a better esc if it were me as I found the reventon not very smooth. Admittedly I only used one for a day and was comparing to my reedy ones that cost twice the price. But if it were me I'd be looking at a hobbywing v3 clone. Maybe a a toro120 etc.
Reedy
DJ KIRKY
Old 14-03-2016

I will back up the points raised about radio equipment. Going from a budget radio to a high end radio is like re-learning driving, it might be good for someone who's trying an RC car for the first time, but you will notice a difference in feel. Besides, some upper end radios aren't much more expensive than some budget items - it's definitely worth the extra outlay.

With regards to electrics, some speedos and motors are ridiculously priced, as are servos. You could get a good Savox or KO servo secondhand for £20-30, which is what some low torque plastic geared items go for new. If you did want to go for a brand new speedo just for peace of mind, I recently switched to Vampire's SR1+, which I highly recommend. Comparable speedos like the Reedy Blackbox are over twice as much (£190 for an ESC is a bit of a joke), but if you aren't running very low winds the standard SR1 will be fine - they're priced around £90 and £50 respectively. All the boost/adjustability aside from things like cell selection and brake strength is done automatically, which makes it a good option for those who don't want to play around with settings cards too much to get the right feel. As mentioned, the SkyRC Toro also has very good reviews and seems good for the money.

Motor wise, if you'd like to go new, a Turnigy Trackstar motor from Hobbyking would be a good bet. The V3 Speed Passion motors also seem to be well priced in several shops.

It all depends on whether you have the budget or not - but the worst thing you can do is buy budget items over secondhand professional equipment that's equally priced, or maybe even cheaper.
Old 14-03-2016

Vampire SR1 + gets my vote as well. Great speedo for not a lot of cash but good luck getting hold of one. Currently seem to be out of stock everywhere.
Old 14-03-2016
Mad Member

I've used a reventon pro for approx. 18 months and find it very smooth and reliable. Suppose its horses for courses. I'm sure more expensive stuff will be better, but I've only compared the SP to a Novak and that just seemed to have too much initial punch, while the SP I can adjust it much easier

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 14-03-2016
Mad Member

Default Starter kits

HI
Welcome back, if you are looking for s/h kit I do have most of what you may need, motors, esc, servo, transponder, hauler bag etc.

Drop me a call, PM or email

Last edited by Zippy G; 14-03-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 26-03-2016

Default Thanks

Thanks for your help.

I picked up a KF2 SE today, bought the Ball Diff, and Alloys trans, 5 deg Alloy Castors.

Am going to be running Speed Passion Revention Pro 1.1 with 7.5

Using Intellect Slim Shorties

Turnigy 1258 TG servo

Sorrounded by parts at the moment. Never felt so happy.

Thanks to you all.
Old 27-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcaney View Post
Thanks for your help.

I picked up a KF2 SE today, bought the Ball Diff, and Alloys trans, 5 deg Alloy Castors.

Am going to be running Speed Passion Revention Pro 1.1 with 7.5

Using Intellect Slim Shorties

Turnigy 1258 TG servo

Sorrounded by parts at the moment. Never felt so happy.

Thanks to you all.
I love the Reventon Pro 1.1, I have one in each of my buggies.
Old 27-03-2016

Default Starting Up

Welcome, I started racing again with my eldest son over five years ago. As already mentioned I'd definitely look at a second hand decent radio set rather than the Tamco / Core / Etronix new. We started with the Etronix version and after a year switched to Sanwa Gemini X which you can pick up between £100 - £120 and is much better.
Old 28-03-2016

Thats what ive done bought one this week. Havent a clue what to do with it. Will find out when have funished building car.