Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 28-12-2006

Default X Factory castor screws problem

I bought some of the wishbone/castor screws for the front of my XX4 but they seem to bind the block.

The wishbones are drilled all the way through so I know the holes are in line. The hubs are new and are threaded VERY carefully to ensure they are as straight as possible but it still binds ?

The pins/screws are a sensible fit in the wishbones.

Anyone else had this ? - do I need to make the holes in the wishbones bigger than I really want to ?
Old 28-12-2006
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

Are you sure it's the screws, and not the actual hub binding? when parts are new they do bind quite abit for a few runs before wearing.

check the 'face' of the hub and wishbone to see if it is not this area which is binding. If it is, take afile or dremel and little by little remove some material.

If it IS the screw that is causing the problems i'll let the xfac boys help you there as i no longer have my x-5 to check.

Also, try simply backing the screw off a little, it will hold in, i've done this on a few of my cars to reduce friction/binding. worth a try.
Old 28-12-2006

Yes, I had the same problem when I fitted those screws a few days ago. I had to "work" the wishbone with the supplied drill several times before making it bind-free.
Old 29-12-2006

Hmmmm

Thanks for the replies
Old 29-12-2006
#1 ZX5 fan

Rob,

When I first fitted mine I was uber carefull with the drilling and it bound some. So I ran the drill through again shall we say as if I'd had a few beers and it was nearly all gone. I then ran the car like that at a York club meeting and now they are perfect with no play at all.

Note, I just tighten them down till the head touches the wishbone, rather than crank them down like on a normal screw. I also didn't bother threading the hubs with the hex screw supplied so the threads had maximum purchase on the hub (does this make sense?).

I recomend you do what I did as now I'm VERY pleased with them indeed, I didn't break any wishbones on that club night at York either, but I wasn't exactly trying though

Dan

Nortech is ACE!
Old 29-12-2006

Thanks Dan

Do people think these actually do reduce the amount of front end breakages ?
Old 29-12-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Fitzgerald View Post
Thanks Dan

Do people think these actually do reduce the amount of front end breakages ?
Yes it will. It makes that triangle solid when it's all bolted together. You will break less c hubs as well.........
Old 29-12-2006
#1 ZX5 fan

I've only run mine once as I've been running the X6 so much since the last national of the year. So I don't have the proof but the engineering is sound in my mind.

As said above it forms a triangle of strength in what was before a bending moment on the back of the wishbone. This graphite/plastic we run is strong in the direction of the material but not good for bending.

Free yours up a bit, then run them a meeting and have a look, I bet you'll not touch them again then for ages

Nortech is ACE!