Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 11-02-2013
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby View Post
If these systems were designed in a way, such as they are have been in 1:1 racing where the times and other prevalent information was transmitted to my pits (laptop) - or god forbid, my smartphone - then I might be impressed. But, to be honest, I haven't really seen any vast improvement to justify the cost and changes involved, other than one that suggest a monopolistic intent........In My Humble Opinion.
It can in the UK, but it has been able to for a few years.
I believe that is a BBK program rather than an AMB/MYlaps one.
Old 11-02-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benh View Post

Bloody hell ben, family photo on Oople

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 11-02-2013

Overall the issue is that we want to keep people in this sport. To race at the majority of clubs now you need a PT. For nearly all race events a PT is required.

Now I can understand the views on here, for and against. However there are some things that people need to realise. As much as people say MRT 'copied' another brand (though im sure they didn't in full because im certain a large company such as MyLaps wouldn't take to kindly to losing sales due to a copied item, and then involve some legal bods in suits) at least the item was a reasonable and scenscible price. We are bordeing now on the £100 mark just to race at the weekend/weeknight. Those clubs that do have handouts will soon run out as the items die due to longevity or simply they have to upgrade their timing gear due to the life span of that. This cost though is a major sway on whether Mr Blogs (or Mrs for that matter) decides RC racing is for them. Not only do we have to buy a car, running gear etc...we are also stung for near on £100 just to have our car counted. So, to the question - why so expensive ? People will say because they have the market etc....is that true though ? Is there any reason why MyLaps/AMB have made this change in their time recording equipment when for years it has worked fine without fault ? Could it be they want more of the market, and to shut out the cheaper option (a la MRT) ?

For me, a racer on a budget, finding £100 for a new PT (as mine needs replacing due to the wires having gotten caught) isn't easy. That's alot concidering the overall cost of racing as well (tyres, petrol, race fee's etc).

Now im not sure if this is correct or not, but didn't the ruling bodies set a upper limit of motor cost in the last few years ? Could this not be done with PT's ??

Currently utilising (abusing) Durango DEX210 / KO Propo Espritt III / Tekin / LRP / SpeedPassion / Savox
Old 11-02-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

re cost

mylaps are offering a cut price for a trade in, be that mrt or amb units

the units are worthless to them (other than im told the amb units have thier numbers recycled)

Now why can they not sell them consistently at that price as and when users need/want to change? we are already told they will go up soon by the uk importers.

we were origninally told harry would do pt's with cloned numbers, this never happened till purcy, which are not backward compatible.
one reason i support mrt is i can have a pt in all my cars, and not forget to put one in from one car to another.
Old 11-02-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

AMB couldn't sue MRT because the two bugs technically aren't the same at all.
What MRT have 'copied' is the signal that the bug transmits when it communicates with the loop - the unique ID. The mechanism by which it does that is entirely different however.
The best analogue is an MP3 recorder vs a tape dictaphone. Both record sound and play it back - but that is where the similarity ends.

Now the interesting bit here is that this means that the MRT bug needed just as much R&D to develop as the AMB one - more in fact because AMB designed the loop so have many specs already plus have patents MRT can't infringe, yet the MRT is cheaper. The big R&D costs for AMB were on designing the decoders.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 11-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
It can in the UK, but it has been able to for a few years.
I believe that is a BBK program rather than an AMB/MYlaps one.
Correct the BBK race program has a feature called netscreen which works on a local network, the netscreen progam is free and anyone with a laptop in the pits can get realtime race information. Internet connection is not needed
Old 11-02-2013

Hello Everybody

This is my first post on this site following my re-introduction to rc racing.
My sons and I visited our local track towards the end of last season, which is about 25 mile from where we live.
Now , my boys had'nt seen this other than clips I'd shown them on youtube and they were very excited.
Doubtless to say they had gotten the bug and we spent a few weeks sourcing a couple of good second hand B4's, some radio gear and several sets of batteries and a charger.

Everything is great.

So we head of to an early season meet and get all set up and head up to race control, where we were promptly informed that if we wanted to race ( and have our laps counted ) we would have to have a personal transponder, because the club was not using handouts like it did last year.

Thats ok, I thought I'll get a couple....then I was informed how much they are......holy **** you are joking .

can I buy just 1?
no you gotta have 1 each
thats another £200 +
My cars didnt cost that.

The guys at the club were most apologetic, but said thats the way its going now and most members had the transponders ,and they were quite concerned that hey would have to replace them too for some of the meets they attend through the season.
I phoned our next nearest club (53 miles) and they basically said the same thing.

To cut a long story short, we are going to delay participating in any club racing because of the pt cost.

I cant justify spending the money on something that might be obsolete this time next because they will bring out an even better system again.

Its just sad that people seem to think that just because something is new and costs alot its better.

Cheers
Old 11-02-2013
Administrator

PT's are awesome mate and once you get really into racing it definitely makes it better - but I'm a big fan of handouts and hearing your story really cheeses me off if I'm honest.
Some clubs have fought on with their hand out transponders the best they could but the things are old and not supported any longer. This is the sort of tale I'm sure takes place all the time, either at clubs or when people look online - what a way to get people involved. If I had some spare I'd give you one - I do have a couple but very occasionally my wife will race or I will run cars back-to-back.
Old 11-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReferee View Post
handout transponders its the way forward!!.

have to agree with jimmy, we need to be able to time the new guy without expecting him/her to lash out on a PT which they may or may not get any benifit from if they decide RC isnt for them, some clubs do carry PT's for this use, but get very nervous about them going missing, a simple battery operated version of the PT would fit the bill.
Hi

Ok here's how you do it, obtain off our favourite auction site a couple of AMB PT's - glue it to a small 4 cell 6v receiver pack and solder it on, add a charge lead to said receiver pack and heatshrink the lot.

Simple and reliable 'loan out' transponder.

Not my idea BTW saw it done at a club a while back - neat and effective.

Or of course just go onto transponder services dot com and buy them..
Old 11-02-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawmiller View Post
Hello Everybody

My sons and I visited our local track towards the end of last season, which is about 25 mile from where we live.
Now , my boys had'nt seen this other than clips I'd shown them on youtube and they were very excited.
Doubtless to say they had gotten the bug and we spent a few weeks sourcing a couple of good second hand B4's, some radio gear and several sets of batteries and a charger.

Everything is great.

So we head of to an early season meet and get all set up and head up to race control, where we were promptly informed that if we wanted to race ( and have our laps counted ) we would have to have a personal transponder, because the club was not using handouts like it did last year.

Thats ok, I thought I'll get a couple....then I was informed how much they are......holy **** you are joking .

can I buy just 1?
no you gotta have 1 each
thats another £200 +
My cars didnt cost that.

The guys at the club were most apologetic, but said thats the way its going now and most members had the transponders ,and they were quite concerned that hey would have to replace them too for some of the meets they attend through the season.
I phoned our next nearest club (53 miles) and they basically said the same thing.

To cut a long story short, we are going to delay participating in any club racing because of the pt cost.

I cant justify spending the money on something that might be obsolete this time next because they will bring out an even better system again.

Its just sad that people seem to think that just because something is new and costs alot its better.

Cheers
I rest my case, this is just the thing that would happen with my club.the only thing I would say is all AMB system receive all AMB transponders, so you can go second hand, but with the recent news you can buy an MRT paper weight, or a second hand AMB, that is now commanding twice the price it did a month ago

Also, as long as the harry stays available we should boycott the percy, but I fear in the world of business and money it will make sense for them to stop producing the harry(if they have not already, and just clearing stock), thus in time making the percy the only choice, thus RC4 upgrade will be a must for clubs

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 12-02-2013
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Spencer View Post
At $150 aus per handout and $300 aus for a charging rack that's £2161.29 for a full set...
Old 12-02-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo90 View Post
Overall the issue is that we want to keep people in this sport. To race at the majority of clubs now you need a PT. For nearly all race events a PT is required.

Now I can understand the views on here, for and against. However there are some things that people need to realise. As much as people say MRT 'copied' another brand (though im sure they didn't in full because im certain a large company such as MyLaps wouldn't take to kindly to losing sales due to a copied item, and then involve some legal bods in suits) at least the item was a reasonable and scenscible price. We are bordeing now on the £100 mark just to race at the weekend/weeknight. Those clubs that do have handouts will soon run out as the items die due to longevity or simply they have to upgrade their timing gear due to the life span of that. This cost though is a major sway on whether Mr Blogs (or Mrs for that matter) decides RC racing is for them. Not only do we have to buy a car, running gear etc...we are also stung for near on £100 just to have our car counted. So, to the question - why so expensive ? People will say because they have the market etc....is that true though ? Is there any reason why MyLaps/AMB have made this change in their time recording equipment when for years it has worked fine without fault ? Could it be they want more of the market, and to shut out the cheaper option (a la MRT) ?

For me, a racer on a budget, finding £100 for a new PT (as mine needs replacing due to the wires having gotten caught) isn't easy. That's alot concidering the overall cost of racing as well (tyres, petrol, race fee's etc).

Now im not sure if this is correct or not, but didn't the ruling bodies set a upper limit of motor cost in the last few years ? Could this not be done with PT's ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawmiller View Post
Hello Everybody

Everything is great.

can I buy just 1?
no you gotta have 1 each
thats another £200 +
My cars didnt cost that.

Cheers
Well said...........both of you.

And yet some people think it a mystery why new people, including people on a budget, especially those with children, aren't taking part in our hobby.
Old 12-02-2013

What's with the 100£ (116€) everyone is talking about? Are the prices over there really that high?

RC4 transponder:
http://www.eurorc.com/product/3386/m...c4-transponder

RC4 hybrid transponder that works with the older decoders, too:
http://www.eurorc.com/product/3308/m...id-transponder

1€ = 0,86£, so thats around 69 and 79 pounds for the transponders depending on which one you get? Those prices are pretty standard around here (around 80 eur for the RC4 and 90eur for the hybrid).

Also for jo90, if your transponder is broken, I am almost sure I have heard a long time ago that replacing a broken transponder is possible at a noticeable discount... not quite sure, though... but almost
Old 12-02-2013

KooBee, that may be so, but I hoped I could trade mine in for 2 MRT units, and at what I feel is a good price (£55 i believe it is). Running two cars now meens I have to find over £100 just to have them count...that's plain and simple expensive in my eyes.

Anyone with electronic experience, what's the rough cost of the electronic components that make up a AMB/MyLaps PT ?

Currently utilising (abusing) Durango DEX210 / KO Propo Espritt III / Tekin / LRP / SpeedPassion / Savox
Old 12-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Spencer View Post
Hi

Ok here's how you do it, obtain off our favourite auction site a couple of AMB PT's - glue it to a small 4 cell 6v receiver pack and solder it on, add a charge lead to said receiver pack and heatshrink the lot.

Simple and reliable 'loan out' transponder.

Not my idea BTW saw it done at a club a while back - neat and effective.

nice link jim
i know its Aus but with modern postage its no worse than ordering from the USA or hong kong.
i will put the full link in so people can navigate easier, if Jimmy wants to edit feel free.

http://transponderservices.com/mylap...r_repairs.html
Old 12-02-2013

just for completeness £1.00 is about Aus$ 1.50
Old 12-02-2013

So i now have 4 MRT Betamax equivalent on my hands.
You can go and trade them in though against the backwards compatible one no problem ------ Except they're out of stock.
Funnily enough though loads of the new non backwards compatible one in stock
I race at a lot of different clubs and classes across the U.K and have no idea which system all the clubs i go to are using.
It's a massive balls up.
Old 12-02-2013

Perhaps the BRCA could take control of this and put in a plan of upgrade. To state at X time (perhaps in 1-2 years time) the UK need be running X system. This meens that all racers could then work out what to get, when and to have the avialble funds to do such a task. Could the BRCA do this as our governing body perhaps ?

this way all racers now where they stand right now. they know if the bug they have will work and for how long and also know by a cut off time they have to have X bug to race at nationals/regional/club level also.

would that work ?

Old 12-02-2013
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo90 View Post
Perhaps the BRCA could take control of this and put in a plan of upgrade. To state at X time (perhaps in 1-2 years time) the UK need be running X system. This meens that all racers could then work out what to get, when and to have the avialble funds to do such a task. Could the BRCA do this as our governing body perhaps ?

this way all racers now where they stand right now. they know if the bug they have will work and for how long and also know by a cut off time they have to have X bug to race at nationals/regional/club level also.

would that work ?
Hell no...

The nationals will be run with RC4 (as posted a couple of weeks ago) so no MRT bugs at 1/10 off road nationals.
The BRCA has no authority over which system a club chooses to run - that's for the club and it's members to decide.

If it helps I can ask every club in the club section which system they are running and create a sticky to let everyone know?
Old 12-02-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdiggler View Post
So i now have 4 MRT Betamax equivalent on my hands.
You can go and trade them in though against the backwards compatible one no problem ------ Except they're out of stock.
Funnily enough though loads of the new non backwards compatible one in stock
I race at a lot of different clubs and classes across the U.K and have no idea which system all the clubs i go to are using.
It's a massive balls up.
I'd like to trade my MRT in too, for the backwards comparable one, anywhere else with stock to do this? Before the price goes up?