Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 17-02-2013

I cannot see where the argument is here really ,People are moaning
when there mrt clones don't work on a new mylaps timing system.
let's not forget that mrt have made money of the back of mylaps
R&D.
As for the new system things move on hence where we are with tech
now, mylaps are looking after their customers offering good trade ins.
So I think it should be down to mrt to advertise and warn about the
coming incompatibility.
Just my thoughts.
Old 17-02-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighthawk View Post
The blame here if true is on the club !
If you'd been told then you could have fitted your amb pt and all would be ok, or simple not gone in the first place.

No blame can be put on MyLaps in this instance as the upgrade is an option offered to every club and every racer. This update is global across the whole MyLaps range of products, RC as its been said is a very small part of their market.

MRT have known about the potential problem since 2011 ( quote from MR Christopher ) , maybe an updated instruction leaflet should now be issued to say "NOT RC4 COMPATIBLE", then racers wouldn't buy them if they race at a RC4 club.
Yet again your WRONG my quote says "I have known", NOT "MRT have known" DO NOT put words in my mouth...

http://www.oople.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=451
Old 17-02-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
Yet again your WRONG my quote says "I have known", NOT "MRT have known" DO NOT put words in my mouth...
You make me laugh, cheers again Mark
Support from: My Back Pocket

Driver - 'Derek'
Feedback Link : http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48311
Old 17-02-2013
Mad Member

It's harsh for some (like me, full time student struggling to fund racing once a week)

But just gonna have to bite the bullit and trade in my MRT before it becomes a 50 quid peice of plastic I guess

Only 2 months old too.
Old 17-02-2013
Mad Member

Send a message via Yahoo to matdodd

If you knew why didnt you tell them?
As is comes across in your posts that you know the guys at MRT
Old 17-02-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

This is getting a bit ridiculous now!

On the one hand people are saying Mylaps is doing nothing wrong squeezing out the opposition as thats what a successful business does and on the other they are suggesting MRT should have committed commercial suicide by warning people their transponders won't work with RC4 - before RC4 was even out and we weren't certain they wouldn't!

Lets get a few things straight....

1) MRT aren't 'profiting of the back of Mylaps R&D'. They make an aftermarket accessory for the AMB/Mylaps timing loop. In practical terms its no different than an aftermarket exhaust for your real car - its an alternative to the manufacturers part that is compatible with the rest of the system. The exhaust on my Astra isn't a Vauxhall part - its compatible as it fits all the mounting points but the design is quite different. Just like the MRT it exists because the original company's design lacked a desirable feature that the aftermarket company realised they could provide.

2) RC4 was announced a long time ago - in fact it was announced the same time the Harry transponder was released. It was possible it wouldn't work with MRT's back then (at least it was known it wouldn't intentionally support them) but that was far from certain. It wasn't until RC4 decoders were recently released it was confirmed.

3) Its still by no means certain MRT's 100% don't work. As far as I can tell nobody has actually tried playing around with the loop location, transponder location etc trying to get it to work. This isn't a long time answer - but if as some suspect its just the weaker signal strength of MRT's thats the issue it could be easily rectified.

4) Aside from detecting Purcy's and the fact Mylaps no longer support RC3 I've still not seen any hard data that says RC4 is an actual improvement. So asking clubs to shell out a lot of money for the upgrade is a bit off.

5) MRT is a business too. They aren't going to go around spreading doubts about their own product, slapping up warnings about RC4 etc if they want to sell transponders. Its up to the buyer to know - just as it is that a Purcy won't work on older systems.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 17-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by matdodd View Post
Yes i do know them, but why would i tell them, at that time it was not confirmed and no one knew what would work with what?

if i phoned every one i knew with gossip when i heard it i would not have time to play toy cars or post on here
Old 17-02-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Harrison View Post
It's harsh for some (like me, full time student struggling to fund racing once a week)

But just gonna have to bite the bullit and trade in my MRT before it becomes a 50 quid peice of plastic I guess

Only 2 months old too.
This poster is a prime example of whom I mentioned earlier we, as a hobby, should be concerned about.
As car counts fall, and clubs are begging for the next generation of participants, this isn't helping anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matdodd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
3) Its still by no means certain MRT's 100% don't work. As far as I can tell nobody has actually tried playing around with the loop location, transponder location etc trying to get it to work. This isn't a long time answer - but if as some suspect its just the weaker signal strength of MRT's thats the issue it could be easily rectified.
I actually did check it out yesterday, and noted it in a previous post. I tried two different MRTs, one scored sporadically and the newer of the two didn't register at all. Tried everything, changed locations, changed cars, even added a booster, and nothing changed.
As someone else said, they're basically a "50 quid peice of plastic."
Old 17-02-2013

based on the take up of the upgrade from MRT to Mylaps by the various clubs changing to RC4, if MRT dont come up with a fix soon the whole argument is null and void, there wont be any MRT customers left.
Old 17-02-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReferee View Post
based on the take up of the upgrade from MRT to Mylaps by the various clubs changing to RC4, if MRT dont come up with a fix soon the whole argument is null and void, there wont be any MRT customers left.
Yup.

And therein lies my whole problem with them having no mention of the issue, or what they're doing to address it, on their website.
They're going on with business as usual, selling them to any sucker fool enough to dish out the funds - for something that, for all intents and purposes, is soon to be a worthless piece of plastic.
Old 17-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby View Post
Yup.

And therein lies my whole problem with them having no mention of the issue, or what they're doing to address it, on their website.
They're going on with business as usual, selling them to any sucker fool enough to dish out the funds - for something that, for all intents and purposes, is soon to be a worthless piece of plastic.
apart from all the clubs that will be sticking to rc3 and lower...
Old 17-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReferee View Post
TORCH change in March and I think it's circa 40+ on MRT trade ins now. So I'll be testing it circa 2nd week with club laptop to make sure it all works. Am I planning to test with all the variety of transponders - no.

Regardless of TORCH's upgrade I personally would have still traded my MRTs in.

Time will tell what happens, but for me the only PT to own at the mo is the old AMB or Harry.

Not here to debate anything. The market will do whatever it does like many other sectors, too many far important things to think about in life.

If My Laps or MRT make a nice profit in their market space, good for them, am I bothered about either - no.
Old 17-02-2013

I think the best thing to do is stop moaning and buy a Harry transponder that way you are covered for both systems.
The only way to look at it is if it lasts 100 race meets less than a £1 per race not a great cost.
When PTs came out people just got them makes life easier.
Nothing worse than missing laps.
Jim
Old 17-02-2013
Mad Member

Send a message via Yahoo to matdodd

Quote:
Yes i do know them, but why would i tell them, at that time it was not confirmed and no one knew what would work with what?

if i phoned every one i knew with gossip when i heard it i would not have time to play toy cars or post on here
Fair play, but if I was MRT id want to know if there was even a possable problem that would harm my business or take away customers.
Who knows in the last 2 years maybe they could of done there own R&D made there own AMB/MYLAPS compatible MRT system for half the price and cleaned up
Then everyone on here wouldn't be so upset now
Old 18-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post

I was looking at the signal strength & hits (with squelch set to 0) when we changed to RC4 at our track. When an MRT did register the signal strength and number of hits was similar to an AMB one, over 100 signal strength and near 100 hits. So I'm assuming the decoder just identifies an MRT signal, then decides randomly whether to disregard it or not.
Old 18-02-2013
Banned

Quote:
apart from all the clubs that will be sticking to rc3 and lower...
What good is that?
It's like buying a car that has a sealed gastank, that has no trade-in value, and not know if it'll run out of gasoline in a week or a year.
Old 18-02-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugle View Post
I was looking at the signal strength & hits (with squelch set to 0) when we changed to RC4 at our track. When an MRT did register the signal strength and number of hits was similar to an AMB one, over 100 signal strength and near 100 hits. So I'm assuming the decoder just identifies an MRT signal, then decides randomly whether to disregard it or not.
That's my take on it.

And what I alluded to yesterday when I tested, and noted it in a previous post. I tried two different MRTs, one scored sporadically and the newer of the two didn't register at all. Tried everything, changed locations, changed cars, even added a booster, and nothing changed.
Old 18-02-2013

Quote:
What good is that?
It's like buying a car that has a sealed gastank, that has no trade-in value, and not know if it'll run out of gasoline in a week or a year.
Plenty good enough for the many clubs and 1000's of club drivers who just race at thier club and no where else..send me you worthless plastic and ill pass it on free to a local club racer, ill even cover postage both ways
Old 18-02-2013

Quote:
That's my take on it.

And what I alluded to yesterday when I tested, and noted it in a previous post. I tried two different MRTs, one scored sporadically and the newer of the two didn't register at all. Tried everything, changed locations, changed cars, even added a booster, and nothing changed.
Which club did you try them at?
Old 18-02-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Plenty good enough for the many clubs and 1000's of club drivers who just race at thier club and no where else..send me you worthless plastic and ill pass it on free to a local club racer, ill even cover postage both ways

The majority of racers do just run at their local club, or maybe a couple of clubs. As long as these small clubs don't upgrade to RC4 as there's no cost with sticking with what you have, then there will still be a market for MRTs in the future.

After all, there are still clubs happily running with ancient AMB20 systems and AMBRC handouts.