Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

View Poll Results: abandon the electric board homologation list?
yes 97 43.89%
no 115 52.04%
abstain 9 4.07%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2014

Default should the brca abandon the electric board homologation list?

Just to gauge public opinion, a poll!
Old 05-11-2014
Mad Member

We need this so we are sure that the product we buy is safe

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
http://www.fairfueluk.com/
Old 05-11-2014
SHRCCC Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgreen View Post
Irrelevant.
Old 05-11-2014
Mad Member

Ha way then explain..................

That's what I thought it was there for, so we dont buy Chinese rubbish

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
Old 05-11-2014
SHRCCC Legend

You best read another thread then
Old 05-11-2014
Awesome Admin

I can see this thread going on just like the other lol
Old 05-11-2014

Why not stick to the products you know then? And maybe disable comments on this poll.
Old 05-11-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudders View Post
You best read another thread then
Can't be arsed fella.......

Looks like it going nowere anyway!

Not gonna change a good thing

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
Old 05-11-2014

I vote yes but would not want a free for all. Suggest setting a series of size and construction limits to avoid custom sizes and cars built for weird and wonderful layouts.

Stick, Saddle, Shortie and Square hard case covers it for now. Can always add more if new sizes come out and are adopted just as square and shortie have been.
Old 05-11-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting42 View Post
I vote yes but would not want a free for all. Suggest setting a series of size and construction limits to avoid custom sizes and cars built for weird and wonderful layouts.

Stick, Saddle, Shortie and Square hard case covers it for now. Can always add more if new sizes come out and are adopted just as square and shortie have been.
I believe there is already a construction rule for said batteries, maximum height, width and length.....

Quote:
Ha way then explain..................

That's what I thought it was there for, so we dont buy Chinese rubbish
They are ALL made in China..... or around there.....
Old 05-11-2014

I started this poll out of interest to see some numbers. I voted yes to abandon the lists but not because of some paranoia concerning the brca taking backhanders or running a cartel (really?) But just because I think its outdated and unnecessary. If a lipo is bought in this country it's already gone through quite a few safety checks and is fit for purpose ie being strapped in an rc vehicle and driven at high speed. As for someone designing some fancy new car mid season that will win everything but only with weird shaped batteries....don't think so.
I cant even see how if one manufacturer came up with some amazing new tech that gave massive performance gains how that would matter much. We've already got too much performance for the class, and as far as I know (heard it down the pub) all our lipos come from 2 mega factories in China and rc companies just put their own stickers on them?

This poll was in no way to stick the knife in the brca, or those who were at the agm, and especially not against those very hard working enthusiastic club runners and brca officials. We all need rules at the end of the day, be no fun otherwise!
Old 05-11-2014
Banned

Quote:
Will somebody please think of the children! !!
Old 05-11-2014
Banned

Quote:

I think we are past that point tbh
Old 05-11-2014
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to danDanEFC

Oh chatting with my wife on this hot topic. Her view was...

"I have a large pile of grips here, if any of your toy car friends would like to borrow one"

Also a wise man once said to me

"Don't moan about another person doing a job you wouldn't do yourself"
Old 05-11-2014
Mad Member

Quote:

That is exactly what we have now. Read the EB rules - that's all they are.

Free for all, eh? You mean that when you buy another car you are happy to buy another shape cell to go with it? And when you get pasted at the club by someone who has just bought a new cell that is bigger than the one you have and has more capacity to their car is faster for longer, you're happy to keep being new cells?

You don't think that happens? Use a motor four years old and tell us it is still competitive. Use tyres from 2009 and tell me they are still giving the same grip. Yes, cell capacity and quality has gone up, but without a set of case sizes they would be now be in the stratosphere.

You may say that no one would keep buying cells, but they keep buying everything else when the other guy at the club has one! Stick to the list and keep your purchases down!
Old 05-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
I believe there is already a construction rule for said batteries, maximum height, width and length.....
Great, then I am happy
Old 05-11-2014

Quote:
Great, then I am happy
Yep, it's EB rule 3.2, the exact thing you're happy to lose...

Out of interest, those that wish to see the EB list abolished, is this in it's entirety? Just certain elements of it? If so, which elements? Or just so that you can use your cheap Lipo's that aren't currently on the list?

Last edited by Cockerill; 05-11-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-11-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
should the brca abandon the electric board homologation list?
A simple answer to this, no we shouldn't abandon all the lists. It ensures a level playing field in touring car, WorldGT, LMP12 and GT12.

The Electric Board hasn't been created for 1/10 offroad and just because a few buggy racers want to use batteries not on the homologation list doesn't mean every other class has to stop using it leading to the battery and motor of the month situation again, which is what would happen if the homologation list itself was abandoned. If you are running in a motor limited class, like most on road classes do, if a manufacturer brings out a new lipo with a higher capacity then to be competitive you would need to buy it as it will give you a higher average voltage during your race, so more speed. Another battery comes out next month, then you end up buying it to replace last months battery. This is why the lists came about in the first place.

As has been said again and again, this mythical "BRCA" isn't a dictatorship, no one can change the rules without the agreement of the ordinary members. That's you, me and everyone who is reading this who is a BRCA member.

For the off road section to stop using the EB lists that are for every section to use is a different question entirely, and the opportunity has just passed. Considering how little time it takes to put in a proposal compared with the time spent moaning about no one else doing it for you, maybe some time spent reading the BRCA constitution in the handbook would teach everyone how to go about changing things, and someone might have put in a proper proposal and people turned up to vote for it at the AGM.

Last edited by terry.sc; 05-11-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
That is exactly what we have now. Read the EB rules - that's all they are.
Yes so DCM said, I would want to keep that section whilst getting rid of the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
Free for all, eh? You mean that when you buy another car you are happy to buy another shape cell to go with it? And when you get pasted at the club by someone who has just bought a new cell that is bigger than the one you have and has more capacity to their car is faster for longer, you're happy to keep being new cells?

You don't think that happens? Use a motor four years old and tell us it is still competitive. Use tyres from 2009 and tell me they are still giving the same grip. Yes, cell capacity and quality has gone up, but without a set of case sizes they would be now be in the stratosphere.

You may say that no one would keep buying cells, but they keep buying everything else when the other guy at the club has one! Stick to the list and keep your purchases down!
I am a bit confused what you are getting at here. I only know the off road world so maybe I am missing your point. I don't care what anyone buys really. I use a mix of old and new gear. I am just as fast with any of it, yeah the older batteries can't do two competitive heats in one charge any more but they are fine for one or as a practice pack.

I guess my main issue is there seems little real reason behind having the list. Many other sections don't have it. It does not control costs it just gives a little traceability and it adds a whole lot of admin and confusion.

End of the day, I don't care that much, I will buy decent stuff anyway and it is not a big issue to make sure its on the list but it does seem bureaucratic so I voted Yes!
Old 05-11-2014

I'm pretty sure different cars use various shape n sized batteries. And with five minute heats and finals i cant see much need for a cap or anything on batteries.
The 1/8 ebuggy nationals do fine without a list on any equipment