Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > East of England

Old 01-11-2007

Unhappy Tips for beginers

Hello, Just starting out, complete novice I have brought a KYOSHO LAZER ZX5 with a few hop ups and am just hopeing there are some nice tips from those who "HAVE THE KNOWLEGE!!!". I have been to a few meetings well beyond my class but am told its all good experence. Have found my local club, Norfolk Buggy Club, (the best in Norfolk), great bunch of lads. So can anyone give me and any one else who is has just started any pearls of wisdom?????
Old 02-11-2007
Mad Member

Not sure whether I have "the knowledge" but feel free to ask me any questions you want about 1/10th off road and i'll do my best to give you an answer. Don't be affraid to ask any driver for ther opinion or advice on something as most are more than happy to help someone new out.

The best advice I can gve is practice as much as possible, it may seem daunting but the bigger the meeting the better the racing and you will also be able to watch some of the best drivers in the country which can learn racing lines from too.
Also Don't get lost with your setup while you are learning to drive. If you feel like changing things, do one adjustment at a time and make notes (as I can't remember that well what everything does) about how the change affects the way the car goes.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!
Old 02-11-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

the best piece of advice of all for a beginner is use a slow motor.

the trap all beginners fall into is they turn up, race in the first heat, see cars much faster in a straight line and say " i need a faster motor to keep up". in reality, if you can't control the car well at slow speed then you definitely won't at high speed. you will just take more eratic lines and break more.

master a slower motor first. a top driver with a 27t will be pretty close to an average driver with a mod.

and as said above, practice a lot, and watch the top heat all the time and try and copy their lines. concentrate on trying to go a 5 minute race without crashing, even if you drive slightly slower each lap, overall for 5 mins your laps will probably improve.

It sounds dull, slow motor, drive slow etc. but as a beginner it's the best way to learn racing lines and build consistancy.

on a side note, is the lazer brand new? if so have a look through the Kyosho section for build tips for the car. the main one is shim the diffs a bit tighter than the manual to avoid stripping gears. And make sure your slipper actually slips a fraction otherwise you will go through a few diff gears!

anything else, just ask

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback