Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bury Metro

Old 01-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
New radio time then. The Ansmann 2.4ghz radio is pretty decent for £66. 2.4ghz means no more crystals needed, its computerised with a 10 model memory and in theory can't get interference.
Right this is what I'm thinking as a starting point. Opinions please...

B44
Exceed Pro 6.5T Brushless Combo
bluebird bms631mg servo
Lipo saddles and charger to suit
Old 01-01-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Looks like a good starting point.
Johnny has that Exceed system and it seems to be excellent value for money (plus hasn't exploded like a Losi system yet).
The B44 is a very popular chassis (though curiously only Rob uses one at Bury, loads at Southport).
I'm not a fan of Bluebird servos myself (the only one I've had the case cracked) but others use them without problems. Personally I'd get a Savox.

For Lipos Rob and I both use these monster sized saddle lipos. At 6000mAh they will do you a whole days racing with some topping up.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 01-01-2010
Gypsy Member

Default bits

si is pretty spot on. only started racing in summer but been learning fast as i can. ( thanks every one) losi system was ok but do have little niggles until set up right. however the exceed seems a little less fancy and not as user friendly but seems a better system to me. ( faster ,smoother, less messing once set up) i have been running track power 6000 saddles for 6 months. they take an absolute hammering big power and discharge fast charging and reliable. but pricey. my bmax that i got second hand just gets better race by race and tyson does nice screw packs for em. i been breaking shock towers and wishbones occasionally but deserved it with some massive crashes that would have wrecked any other car completly. love it. i use acoms 2.4 g radio seems popular and seems good to me no problems so far.
if you fancy trucks ,the stinger bl comes with 2.4g radio, unsensored brushless system ( pretty fast wi new pinion ) and the car itself for £140 from ross mod. and while it is not the most advanced car it is made from unbreakable rubber with good gear box and drive system and it has not broken yet in four months of racing. and i have found some associated parts fit it to . just got a b4 to which seems nice. hope this is useful. see ya on the track................
Old 01-01-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris Magnum View Post
Right this is what I'm thinking as a starting point. Opinions please...

B44
Exceed Pro 6.5T Brushless Combo
bluebird bms631mg servo
Lipo saddles and charger to suit
Very good set up don't know about the brushless system but b44 very good car I drove my mates and liked it . Servo is spot one I upgraded from a£26 blubird to a savox £60 and can't tell the difference last savox I buy. As for lipos don't be fooled 3700 mah is just as good as 5000 or 6000 mah packs the race lasts 6 minutes so why would you want a battery to last 15 mins save the money .

Buds

http://budsballs.co.uk
Old 01-01-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The advantage of the 6000mAh is that I only bother charging between the heats and the final. I can run the whole rest of the meeting without even charging up. Damned handy when running 2 classes with one charger!
Also they are monsterously punchy (25C on a 6000 is like 40C on 3700's) and help balance the car better as they don't need ballast.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 01-01-2010

Cheers guys, its all food for thought on the batteries.

I'm hoping to pick up the car, motor and servo tomorrow, I have the new tranny ordered already which should arrive next week.

I'll be down later in the month to put some faces to names and suss out what other kit I need for a raceday. Should give me time to get it all put together and have a look at how you guys prepare your cars to race on carpet.
Old 02-01-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Apparently some of the guys are going down to Goshen at 12 today (Sat) for a mess about if you want to come have a look. Possibly going to go along myself to test my Soda truck.....

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 02-01-2010

Yeah I'll try to get down to say hello, see you there.
Old 02-01-2010

Quote:
Apparently some of the guys are going down to Goshen at 12 today (Sat) for a mess about if you want to come have a look. Possibly going to go along myself to test my Soda truck.....
si its snowing! you have no problem blowing things up or trashing your car when its dry! i was thinking of going sundy 11am-1pm for a bash about.
Old 02-01-2010
Mad Member

I might have a drive down at dinner watch si and mark blow their motors should be fun!!

Buds

Old 02-01-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
The advantage of the 6000mAh is that I only bother charging between the heats and the final. I can run the whole rest of the meeting without even charging up. Damned handy when running 2 classes with one charger!
Also they are monsterously punchy (25C on a 6000 is like 40C on 3700's) and help balance the car better as they don't need ballast.
So what your saying is the " c rating" is dependent on the " mah". Well I thought it was the speed it discharges it self and the mah is the amount of power the cells can hold. But seeing as your a chemistry teacher who where's specs I'll have to take your word for it

buds

Old 02-01-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by budfish View Post
So what your saying is the " c rating" is dependent on the " mah". Well I thought it was the speed it discharges it self and the mah is the amount of power the cells can hold. But seeing as your a chemistry teacher who where's specs I'll have to take your word for it

buds
Well you are right, it is the discharge rate, but in this case C stands for capacity. A 20C pack can discharge 20 times its capacity in 1 hour (more simply completely discharge itself in 1/20th of an hour or 3 minutes). That means however that the current it delivers depends on the mAh of the pack too.
A 20C 3000mAh pack can deliver 3A for 3mins (effective rate 60A)
A 20C 6000mAh pack can deliver 6A for those same 3mins ie 120A.

A 3000mAh 40C pack could discharge itself in 1/40th of an hour or 1.5mins. That too would allow an effective current of 120A

These are continuous discharge figures, and since as you pointed out a race is only 6mins long (and you don't use the whole pack in a race) it shouldn't really matter. However, the burst discharge rate is closely related to the continuous discharge rate - normally around double. Since 4wd cars with 5.5-6.5t motors can pull up to 200A under hard acceleration the 20C 3000mAh pack can only put 120A and is not going to accelerate that well. The 20 6000 pack can manage up to 240A and is going to shoot off the line!

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 02-01-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budfish View Post

buds
Think power is Amps, hence C rating x mah = Amps

Amps = more poke, and just not in bursts, still sound like big batteries to fit into a car.

Knew I needent have bothered........................
Old 02-01-2010

Quote:
A 20C 3000mAh pack can deliver 3A for 3mins (effective rate 60A)
A 20C 6000mAh pack can deliver 6A for those same 3mins ie 120A.

A 3000mAh 40C pack could discharge itself in 1/40th of an hour or 1.5mins. That too would allow an effective current of 120A

These are continuous discharge figures, and since as you pointed out a race is only 6mins long (and you don't use the whole pack in a race) it shouldn't really matter. However, the burst discharge rate is closely related to the continuous discharge rate - normally around double. Since 4wd cars with 5.5-6.5t motors can pull up to 200A under hard acceleration the 20C 3000mAh pack can only put 120A and is not going to accelerate that well. The 20 6000 pack can manage up to 240A and is going to shoot off the line!
Seems to make sense and whilst I'm sure it'll be a bit too much for me to start with I'm going to need it pretty soon.

So whats happening with the snow, is anyone going down today?
Old 02-01-2010

Quote:
Seems to make sense and whilst I'm sure it'll be a bit too much for me to start with I'm going to need it pretty soon.

So whats happening with the snow, is anyone going down today?
Well i'll be turning up with all my kit and take it from there

Might see you down ill bet there from 12ish..might even bring my mini cooker and some soup lol....
Old 02-01-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

It seems that yes, some of us are going.

Oh dear!

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 02-01-2010

Quote:
It seems that yes, some of us are going.

Oh dear!
Sorted, I'll bring the mid and spade too then.
Old 05-01-2010

Default On order!

Car - ordered
Motor - ordered
Battery - ordered
Charger - ordered
Servo - out of stock
Tranny - out of stock.

Should give me plenty to be going on with til the last few bits arrive. You'll maybe see me down at the outside track having a practice in a couple or three weeks
Old 05-01-2010

Quote:
Car - ordered
Motor - ordered
Battery - ordered
Charger - ordered
Servo - out of stock
Tranny - out of stock.

Should give me plenty to be going on with til the last few bits arrive. You'll maybe see me down at the outside track having a practice in a couple or three weeks
What did you go for the end, kit wise??
There are loads of indoors track you can go to before u unleash the car,were all off to roundabout club meet monday at denton have a look on club sites for directions should be a good turnout weather permitting!!!
Just finished a 14hr killer ov a day in the snow bouncing off kerbs in my lorry, not fun at all
Old 05-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer73 View Post
What did you go for the end, kit wise??
There are loads of indoors track you can go to before u unleash the car,were all off to roundabout club meet monday at denton have a look on club sites for directions should be a good turnout weather permitting!!!
Just finished a 14hr killer ov a day in the snow bouncing off kerbs in my lorry, not fun at all
You'll have to wait and see! Yeah I don't envy you in the snow, my car was a bit of a handful today - I should have gone for the 4wd version. How do you get away with 14hrs on your tacho?