Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Newcastle RC Racers

Old 05-07-2016

Default the "Lee Freeman" Summer Series

No race report from last night, mainly because due to a last minute hiccup I didn’t get there. First race meet in I don’t know how long that I’ve missed other than holidays
More disappointing as I was enjoying getting to grips with the Carpet Dragons last week so looking forward to next week even more now!

Sounds like not too many others made it last night either

So maybe time to start a new race series next week to try to get people back a bit more regularly?

Well it seems to work for Lee freeman anyway so see you next week Lee for the start of the summer series
Old 12-07-2016

Well the Lee Freeman summer series kicked off last night without Lee Freeman!
A better turn out than recently but still more racers needed. The track started a bit slippery but grip was as good as it gets by the end of the night with grip roll causing me a few issues again – that and the fact I made worse starts to every round than Lewis Hamilton.

Good to see Gary back running well after almost as long off form as I’ve had…………and Kyle giving Odd Ball a run for his money in in the buggies.

Hopefully some of the “”missing” will be back soon – what happened to Rob Callendar who made a return a few weeks back with a mate (who was unbelievably good for a first time ever driving an RC car!)

And maybe Zak will get his TC back running soon, dare I say the Richies????
Old 20-07-2016

Well I have to say this week was a cracking night with very high grip levels again and a nice fast flowing track making for some great close racing – and plenty of overtaking opportunities – not often we have a track you can pass side by side over a couple of comers while FLAT OUT!!!

Grip roll caught a few out including me – meaning smooth driving was needed as unbalancing the car by flicking it resulted in flicking onto your roof. If more proof was needed of the grip, after a night of going well my old shed lost drive to the front part way through the second leg final after hitting a crashed car (diff problem, hopefully just loosened completely off) and I drove the second half of the race with a rear wheel drive TC on carpet dragons!

Few down points, firstly quiet again, hopefully Cookie, Richies, Lee etc will be back soon as promised. I assume Pussy Prior was having a rest after a little run out on the bike over the weekend and Snowy was at work.
Others being poor marshalling, 9 seconds waiting for a marshal isn’t acceptable – that’s almost a full lap when we’re putting in sub 11 second laps and it seems racing etiquette was in short supply when being lapped.

Hopefully see a few back next week – might even put out the same track as it seemed very popular.
Old 26-07-2016

Well Lee finally joined us for the series this week J and nice to have Cookie back as well aftrer becoming a dad a few weeks back – take note all those of you who use fatherhood as an excuse to give up or for a few years absence!!!

Grip a little lower than recently last night and in sharp contrast to last weeks fast flowing track, we had a series of 90 degree corners and hairpins,

For whatever reason there seemed to be a lot of retirees this week, Gary and Kyle being first to take an early bath and my car making its best attempt for me to have an early finish as well with continually loosening diff, destroyed front wishbone, broken drive shaft and wrecked shell L

I did race the leg 2 final tho with a rebuilt and not too happy handling car.

Apparently I messed up exporting the results so no updates on the website this week L

And I’m on race control next week too as Ian is missing again, hopefully a few other awol regulars will be back tho

On another note, Rob & Christian popped by and mentioned their 2wd short track truggys or something – happy to run a heat for these if we get a few to race – let me know if you can get along and hopefully a full heat of them will bring Zak back as well?

See you next week for more carnage!
Old 03-08-2016

Having rebuilt various bits of our cars since the previous week, a few of us struggled to get up to speed, being no where near Pikey who was flying all night showing everyone else up for pace.
Finally having my car handling by the final quail and somewhere near the pace only to seize a bearing towards the end of leg 1 final was disappointing – more rebuilding for next week L

Numbers a bit better than late with Chris Dodd, Bubba & Snowman racing, still not good but hopefully as threatened the Richies will come back next week and we’ll have Trev, Ian & Kyle back as usual.

In the buggys Oddball beat the quiet fella, despite Jonny having convincingly hammered Paul at the weekends regional – all sorts of excuses from Odball for his shameful result ;-)

Anyway hopefully see everyone back next week for some more shenanigans J

Results might actually be on the website this week as neither me or Ian were involved to mess up the download!
Old 09-08-2016

A better turn out than expected for this time of year last night with 13 racing – 8 TC and 5 buggies (I think!) with some regulars still missing, (pikey, Fitzy, Trev, Kyle – hope to see you back soon)

A long awaited return for Richie Junior with Fingers along but just watching this week, racing again next – as was Clarky and James Davison – hoping James makes a comeback soon as it’s the second time in 3 weeks he’s been “just passing” and still has all his gear ready to run.

Ian back from a couple of weeks missing meant I was free from RC duties again giving a bit more time to fettle my car. Also Josh becoming a regular racer again and Oddball mentioning that Charlotte should be on track in a week or two J!!!

Grip was low early on with Gary flying on worn minipins but as the track cleaned and grip came up (or maybe as my setup tweaks worked!) carpet dragons proved the tyre for the end of the night and finals with some ridiculously close TC racing, literally jostling each other for 2-3 consecutive corners with lots of door rubbing, very aggressive but fair – great to watch!

Another “freak” problem cost me good points in leg 1 final when a motor mount screw came out and jammed the drive train – no where near as bad a result as Snowman who broke his steering on the first quail tho.

Good to see Cookie now having some reliability – which will allow his speed to improve spending more time racing, less fixing J

See you all again next week for more of the same

An don’t forget the Karting event this coming Saturday, still spaces left as far as I’m aware if you want to join us.
Old 07-09-2016

Interesting night this week with hopefully a few potential new and returning racers popping along for a look/catch-up. Great to see Phil Yoda Haines after so long looking to come back (bored in retirement J!)
And Gary Campbell coming along just to say hello but I think so many people hassled him to come back he’ looked tempted and we’ll hopefully see him flying round the track again in a week or two?

Fitzy showing his face too and promising to be back racing next week J

Couple of potential new racers in Matt – seems very keen having already bought pretty much everything he needs to race and Darcy along for a look with his dad with a view to getting into it.

Hopefully you all liked what you saw and will be joining us soon!

My woes of grip roll continued but at last I seem to have found the problem, a £1.25 foam insert not doing its job and allowing a tyre to collapse under cornering L

Grip levels were through the roof last night and I doubt TC’s would’ve gone much quicker on carpet – meaning some great close racing between those on form (not me J)

As ever we’re back nest week for more fun and games hopefully with a few more regulars back and a few new faces too

And just another quick reminder – if you can get there on time, please make an effort to do so – I was running late last night arriving just after 7 and was still the first there Quiet Jonny making 2 of us to start setting up the track L

See you all next week at SEVEN PM!!!!! ;-)
Old 10-09-2016

Barring an act of god im pretty much set for Monday night....looking forward to it!
Old 14-09-2016

Well I was surprised and sad to hear from Chris Diddy Dodd that last night was his last night as he’s giving up for reasons other than racing by the sound of it L
We’ve all enjoyed racing with you Chris, hope you get sorted and have a change of mind in future and we see you back on track some time J

On a brighter note a good turn out this week with 3 heats running, New racer Matt on track for the first time, and Fitzy back after a long break and Yoda back after a good few years.

Grip now becoming a bit of a problem with higher grip levels on the wood last night than I’d expect with foams on carpet causing cars to be very twitchy and resulting in grip roll despite thinking it was all down to crumbling inserts L

Try again next week.

Good to see so many people there early for setup by the way – cheers to those who were J
Old 21-09-2016

An excellent turn out this week with 2 5 car TC heats and a 7 car buggy heat – possibly a few along just as a warm up for the weekend but hopefully we’ll see them back again.
Good to have Lee Freeman, Bubba, Cookie, back and running and another potential new racer(s) with Rick Basra who is more used to 1/8 scale nitro popping in for a look with the kids – see you on track soon J

Well after 5 weeks of excessive grip causing problems levels were back to what you’d expect on a matt wooden floor last night – not bad but after tweaking my car to loose grip for the past months or so, I spent all last night trying to get it back!

Was just about there at times but a few too many adjustments and mid race problems proved a downfall. And a good performance from Jonny and from Yoda on his second week back leaving me and Ian down in the B! L

Next week!!!

Also thanks to all who were there at 7 for setup – can’t remember last time we had so many for doors opening - see you bright and early again next week.

Results will be on the website …………eventually J
Old 27-09-2016

A reasonable turn out last night with 3 heats running tho a few regulars still missing where is Snowman – hasn’t showed his face since karting. You weren’t that bad Michael……J
Nice to see a few more getting there to help with setup – quite a nice flowing track last night too.
Cooler in the hall than of late again meaning lower than recent grip levels but improving through the night as the floor cleaned up.
Seem to be getting some sort of handling together on my car again though still not quite where it should be and managed to ruin my final by clipping the barrier on the straight.

Results will be on the website – almost the end of the summer series now……..so I guess we’ll have to go into an autumn or winter series to keep Lee Freeman’s interest going ;-)

See you all next week
Old 05-10-2016

Another good turn out this week with 2 busy TC heats though a littler short in the buggy class.
Nice to have Zak back on track….
Good performances by Kyle making the A final of the TC’s and Matt driving tidy and very well mannered with two other very fast buggy drivers J

Ian still struggling a bit with Nev’s old car and a brushed motor – sure he’ll be back on the pace soon. Tho having said that it’s taken me months to get back to a good handling car – nice to finally be back at the right end of the grid last night with a P2 in quail and a 2n’d & 3rd in the finals – particularly after only managing to complete one round of quail - Q4!
Grip levels dropping back as the hall cools down after the summer but still far from being difficult to drive

Hoe to see you all back next week.