Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Mansfield RC Club

Closed Thread

Old 15-07-2014

Gents,

While I am always up for a conspiracy theory and the discovery of little elves that spread "anti-grip" between meetings, can we take a look at this objectively.

A model car club carpet does not deteriorate at the rate the level of traction dropped over the course of one week. And I very much doubt that additive on tyres is causing "carpet whisps/fibres" to remain on the carpet, reducing grip.

My feeling is that the level of traction we find on a week to week basis is more to do with how much muck and dust gets trodden into the carpet between meetings. (Archery runs Tuesday and Thursday...Anybody seeing a pattern here?) Rather than people running additive. This might also explain why we see a sharp drop in grip levels over the winter when the archery club moves 100% indoor when previously we have thought it may be something to do with the ambient temperature.

As for foams vs. mini pins and cut staggers. I'm going to run foams as I get a bit hacked off with fresh rubber of some form week in, week out. I'll let you know if i go quicker on them.
Old 15-07-2014

Default tyres

As for the other points raised the club needs to spend some money on improving ramps not just trying to fix what we have there is enough people keep offering there services but no materials to build with as for the trophys etc thats a great idea look at the turnout at west bridgeford well attended meeting maybe we could do something on those lines just a thought
Old 15-07-2014

Worth mentioning my 22 shows no sign of wear whatsoever, it was my yoke that developed flat spots on the dogbone pin and grooves in the out drives. Maybe brand related?

Mark, I'm pretty handy with a saw. I'd love to build some sensible ramps/whoops but raw materials aren't cheap.

Ben, glad to hear you're giving foams a try.
Old 15-07-2014

Default foams tyres

wow just had a look on oople foams what a topic.
my pennys worth.

i have run on foams at mansfield for about 3 weeks or 5 meetings my opinion is foam tyres are definitely faster on carpet know matter what class you run them on(tourer buggys mardave 12th ) could you imagine turning up to broxtowe and trying to run foam tyres on tourers and minis i dont think so. if people want to run foam tyres that if absolutely fine with me but there will be a separate class put.

as for sunday i think we have given it enough time for numbers to pick up we have been losing money on sundays pretty much since the 3rd sunday we opened this year and that in turn has a knock on effect with the money we take in wednesdays.
we cant run championships on the software at the track if someone wants to do it manually by all means but i have enough on with running the meetings and doing my hobby so crack on with it by all means.
thank you
the end
Old 15-07-2014

Send a message via Yahoo to spybot

I'm finding this debate on tires is quite amusing because when I last raced a few months ago I think I'm right in saying that I brought back the using of foams simply because it was what I was used to back in my Procat days & I was derided for it now others have turned to foams. I have found that the best compound to use is the Contact RC 1/8th Stock Car Donut SE (which co-incidentally the cheapest at £4 a pair) this is a soft compound which I found to my liking, it is also good on tarmac & in the wet. Unfortunately for the past few months I haven't been able to race due to my partner being very ill & me being her full-time carer but am hopeful of returning on the 27th on which date I think I'll be throwing yet another tire option into the mix as I've gone right back into my early 12th scale days when we used to race on polished wooded floors.

In any case can I point out that I started this post for ideas to increase numbers & only myself, Rich & Mike Nash have put forward suggestions. Anyone else got any ideas on things the club could try out to make Mansfield stand out from other clubs & be the must goto club.

Michael
Old 15-07-2014

It was the release of contactrc jy45 and jy35 donuts that ignited the running of foams at Mansfield.

I understand the argument with foams versus slicks/treaded rubber in on road but this is foams versus pins, quite different.
Old 15-07-2014

deleted
Old 15-07-2014

Default tyres

To stop the argument/discussion why dont we take. The carpet up and run on the polished floor then the use of foams will not be a issue and I would imagine the ware on the tyres would be minimal
Old 15-07-2014

deleted
Old 15-07-2014

Default tyres

Do u not think it unfare to the heat after the foam heat as there will be 2/3 drivers to marshall there cars and then people will start moaning that the marshalls are not quick enough
Old 15-07-2014

deleted
Old 15-07-2014

If foams were trouncing pins everyweek i can see the need for classes, fact is they are slightly slower end of story, so i cant see where the complaints from pin users has come from to warrant a change.
Please enlighten us Gaz
Old 15-07-2014

As this thread has now turned into debate over foams and class I will also have my 2 pence worth

As a fairly new driver who would normally be in the lower classes I can see how some of the a class drivers may have concerns I can only say I will personally try and keep out your way. As for how competitive the race will be is hard to say for example if it was me and say Gareth in the same race I can safely say I will come last each time hand he would come first. This does not bother me but for those drivers who are more competitive I could see they will soon get fed up with this also like wise some of the lower class driver could get fed up with having there ass whipped each time.
The main reason for me running foams is down to cost like previously said drive train wear is minimal on my dex210 were as rubbers last 6 races

This is only my 2 pence worth as stated I am happy just to race weather it be in a foam class or a mixed tyre race .

But more to the point of the thread lets get the numbers back on Sundays
Old 15-07-2014

Default tyres

Mike I dont think the numbers will pick up on a sunday through summer but in winter when there is no chance of running outdoors the numbers will increase I no this does not help u and ur son out and some other people with children but I dont have the answers to get more people to come
Old 15-07-2014

deleted
Old 15-07-2014

As this thread has now turned into debate over foams and class I will also have my 2 pence worth

As a fairly new driver who would normally be in the lower classes I can see how some of the a class drivers may have concerns I can only say I will personally try and keep out your way. As for how competitive the race will be is hard to say for example if it was me and say Gareth in the same race I can safely say I will come last each time hand he would come first. This does not bother me but for those drivers who are more competitive I could see they will soon get fed up with this also like wise some of the lower class driver could get fed up with having there ass whipped each time.
The main reason for me running foams is down to cost like previously said drive train wear is minimal on my dex210 were as rubbers last 6 races

This is only my 2 pence worth as stated I am happy just to race weather it be in a foam class or a mixed tyre race .

But more to the point of the thread lets get the numbers back on Sundays
Old 15-07-2014

Surely there actually needs to be 2 extra classes for Foam Users because it seems 2WD & 4WD users don't like racing against each other so you'd end up with 2WD Pin & 4WD Pin Users and 2WD Foam & 4WD Foam Users & what happens if a driver starts the meeting on Foams but feels on that day Pins would be better & swaps after 2 Round do they then have to swap races?. Them maybe Stick & Steering Wheel Transmitter Users need to be in separate classes. Give me a break, I know it's a fun sport/hobby but at the end of the day a race is to find out who is the best & how can anyone claim to be the best if they are not getting challenged by other drivers with a different specification of car. All of the different car specs have their pluses & minuses, the challenge is over coming other drivers, so at a club level I believe all classes should be raced together with the best rising to the 'A' Finals giving less skillful drivers a target to aim at & not having races with 1 or 2 drivers in (thus removing the marshaling problem 'rossiracer' pointed out.

That would possibly increase numbers to both Sundays & Wednesdays because the club would get a reputation of somewhere you can really put your driving skills to the test.

Michael
Old 15-07-2014

I am just a bit miffed about it all to be honest. If foams are such a threat to the win at all cost brigade then why arent they used by them. Alleged quicker parts wear would almost be cancelled out by not buying a set of rears each week even though this wouldnt be an issue if you can stay near the top.
The argument is flawed and to me it seems like sour grapes just because Ian won the A on them.
What will be next different classes for mini-pin tread depth.....
Old 15-07-2014

deleted i have done now.
Old 15-07-2014

Michael
Closed Thread