Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Faversham Off Road Car Club

Old 14-03-2013

Default Race start order

Over the next few weeks we will be trying some alternatives to the current 'roll 1 row forward' start order. We will not be reverting to the old '3 row side by side' grid nor will we be running finals. If you have a suggestion you would like us to consider, please let us know (either publically or privately).

Cheers,
Jon.

Old 15-03-2013
oOple Advertiser

perhaps make both sides of the grid rotate in oposite directions ie left hand side goes forward, right hand side goes backwards. then everybody starts alongside someone different each time so can mix up the racing a little more
Old 15-03-2013

However its started, it pretty much always becomes irrelevant due to the first corner carnage LOL
Old 15-03-2013

Maybe like to see a grid format running the same for all 3 races in finishing order from previous week.
Only problem I see is if a driver returns after missing x number of weeks should they jump straight into a grid slot pushing a driver back a place.
Old 16-03-2013

Default Grid starts

Not sure if it possible with our computer system but how about two normal runs and a longer final run where everyone starts from there standing from the first two rounds and the result of this race would give next weeks round 1 & 2 positions - not sure if I explained that very well....would mean a mini super final but not really.... where you can race the closest people to you on that particular night?! would mix it up for sure.
All said I quite like the current format and would be happy to keep it, as its un-predictable and thats whats awesome about off road
Old 16-03-2013

Default grid positions

I very rarely enter these debates as I am most grateful for whatever and however the hard working committee run our racing.
The current system seems to be the fairest as well as most challenging. The best drivers get first crack at setting a good round result from their best start grid position relating to their performance the previous week. For rounds two and three they must put their skills to test to overtake those in front. This also gives the lessor skilled drivers a taste of being in front, holding racing line to fend off the pros!
If drivers maintained their grid position, there is a risk of results being predictable and pedestrian.
I enjoyed watching Ollie Tames last wednesday, who has improved significantly with his xray and not normally in the A, but round three from the start got into a good lead whilst Neil, Kyle and Elliott battled through the field. I could sense Ollie's emotions, knee-knocking and sweaty palms trying to keep focussed as the chasers closed in.
The inevitable in the end as Maestros Gavin and Moon sneaked past. Great to watch. This would not (may not) have happened if Neil and Kyle started at the front!
Old 16-03-2013

The problem with the current format is noticeable in my heat the top 4 are very close in lap times and I for one enjoy the competition but want to race in all 3 races.
What's happening is first round 1 2 3 4 are close on the grid great, round 2 3 4 at the front and 1 2 right at the back massive advantage to drivers 3 4 round 3 1 2 3 4 are back close together but got to come through the pack hopefully.
There is no reward for finishing 1st as 3 place has more chance at the front.
I personally just want to race my closest rivals for 3 races not as has happened for a few weeks now in round 2 is if and when you get near to the front find the number 3 driver over half a lap up and no way of racing him as its so tight.
Maybe keep the format as it is drop some practise and have 4 rounds then everyone will get a turn on all grid slots.
Old 16-03-2013
Mad Member

Hi all

The only fair way is to have qualifying and then a final that's all I'm gonna say

Stu
Old 17-03-2013

How's about when you finish your first round.your finished position is where you start your next round.And where you finish on the night is where you start the following week
Old 17-03-2013

all cars on one line side by side, all go on the buzzer.

no marshalls.
Old 17-03-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkclifford View Post
all cars on one line side by side, all go on the buzzer.

no marshalls.
Awesome. Lol.
Old 21-03-2013

So the first trial kicked off last night. For those that missed it, the start grid for last night was:

Round 1 - Normal seeded grid based on your current ranking as per the system we've been running for the last few years.

Round 2 - Grid order based on round 1 result

Round 3 - Grid order based on round 2 result

This format will be run for the next 3 meetings.

Obviously we want your feedback either publically or privately so don't be shy

Old 21-03-2013

I thought it worked well.
Only thing i wondered was when a returning driver returns, should they jump the grid based on there last visit or should they go to the back of the grid but in a heat of there ability.
Old 22-03-2013
Mad Member

Yeah I agree.
Old 22-03-2013

i thought it worked well.

How about scrapping the ability system and just have the heats completely random lol.

Only way to make it truely fair when you start talking about returning drivers etc.
Old 23-03-2013

[QUOTE=gav4wd;758477]I thought it worked well.
Only thing i wondered was when a returning driver returns, should they jump the grid based on there last visit or should they go to the back of the grid but in a heat of there ability.[

I think thats a really good point, at the end of the night if you are good enough you will be competing with your peers & I bet it will improve everyones driving no matter which heat, as this format gives you more of an incentive to race hard and clean because you stand to lose more than the normal system - Well done Mr Hogben for this...I salute you sir!! Lets hope everyone agrees and it sticks.

Old 11-04-2013

The current grid trial has finished so now the question is what next? The only other suggestion we've had is for the grid to remain static all evening i.e. the grid would remain the same for all 3 rounds based on the initial seeding (driver ranking). We will ask next week if that is something the majority of you want to try. We think we know what the answer will be to that but that will be down to you guys to decide next week. If you have something else you would like us to try or any thoughts on the format we just tried, let us know.

Old 11-04-2013
Mad Member

can we trial 2 qualifiers and 1 final FTD format please

stu
Old 11-04-2013

scrap the ranking system? just have everyone who books in put into random heats. A usual heat 8 driver can find themselves in with a heat 1 driver. Everyone in the same boat, and no issues of returning drivers or losing out because you have been on holiday.

Starts then as the computer lists for round 1... round 2 and 3 either where you finished the last one.... or....

2 runs not 3.... 7 minutes each not 4/5... first as the computer lays it out, second in reverse grid.
Old 11-04-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s22jgs View Post
scrap the ranking system? just have everyone who books in put into random heats. A usual heat 8 driver can find themselves in with a heat 1 driver. Everyone in the same boat, and no issues of returning drivers or losing out because you have been on holiday.

Starts then as the computer lists for round 1... round 2 and 3 either where you finished the last one.... or....

2 runs not 3.... 7 minutes each not 4/5... first as the computer lays it out, second in reverse grid.
How does anything you have mentioned make this fun for all drivers I'm pretty sure a dont won't to flying down the straight in heat 1 to find a new driver swerving trying to do the best to go forward.

Maybe have a rethink Steve.