Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 05-04-2020

Default Tamiya SRB Funco SS1 replica

It's widely recognised that the Tamiya Rough Rider was based on a full size sand rail made by Funco call the SS1 , What Tamiya made was more of a lookalike than a replica , quite a few people have tried to make a more replica version and this is mine . I've tried to first copy the frame then the body panels as they are on the real car , the frame is soldered copper pipe and the body panels were first CAD model'd then 3D printed and painted , the driver figure is my head 3D scanned and combined with a model from Thingiverse by minigut71 then 3D printed and painted .Those with a keen eye will notice quite a bit of evolution in the body shape as it progresses , I'm making a rudimentary 3d printable frame , just enough to hang all the body panels on and then put it on Thingiverse for free download but its going to require some skill to assemble , some parts are printed flat then softened with a heat gun to sculpt , the rear engine cover side panels need this as does the roof and to a lesser extent the side pods just where the window radius wraps round the roll bar , it will definitely be a "some assembly required" project .

Not quite finished yet , hope you like it .

Last edited by Dadio; 05-04-2020 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-04-2020
Mad Member

Looks great. My first ever model car. You should get a pic of the real one to show the comparison
Old 08-04-2020

Pretty much finished now .