Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 22-01-2009

Default Few questions with my new Tamiya 501x

Hey guys/girls,

I just got myself a Tamiya 501x. I have been racing 2wd (Associated B4) for a little over a year and wanted to add another class to my racing (4wd!), but have a few questions (I am fairly new to the remote control world also so my knowledge is minimal still).

I have a Tekin R1 with a 537 Motor installed in the 501x and was looking at your gear ratio chart stickied in this forum, and I was wondering what kind of ratio I would want to start with a tekin 537?

I have 2 stock 96 Spurs atm, but I may try and get a 87 Spur also. Would the gearing ratio be similar on both that I should use with a tekin 537?

What would be the main difference with the two Spurs also?

Thanks in advance
Old 22-01-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

I would think, on the 537, to start with either a 19 or 20 with the stock 96 tooth spur, then after a 5 min run, check the esc temp, with the onboard temperature indicator, if you are on 5-6 lights, then don't gear up any more, if you are running pretty cool, and in need of a little more top end, gear up another tooth on the pinion.

R1 setting

Timming - 80
TP - 3
limiter - 90
neutral width - 10-15
brake strength - 100
drag brake - 10

That should have the esc powering the motor correctly, then it is a matter of working out gear ratio.

Hope that helps
Old 24-01-2009

Thank you for the info,

Much Appreciated,

Question on:

R1 setting

Timming - 80
TP - 3
limiter - 90
neutral width - 10-15
brake strength - 100
drag brake - 10

Were these % (Other then Throttle Profile)? Most values go 1 to 13 in the user manual for the R1. So for timming for example 80 = 9 or so out of 13?