Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 03-09-2018
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default White Airbrush paint

Is anyone having trouble with thick gloopy white airbrush paint?

I've tried faskolor faswhite and Hobbynox solid white, and i find them both thick and gloopyand not free flowing?

Using with iwata eclipse cs with a 0.5mm needle.

Everyone I've spoken to says use them straight from the bottle, but i find it really too thick.
What do you use to thin, and can anyone please suggest something to try? thanks.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 03-09-2018

Similar experience for me with Hobbynox and Vallejo. Generally just use it for backing though so thin it with Tamiya X-20A thinners and whack the pressure up. Unthinned I find it cloggs too easily and can splatter.
Old 03-09-2018
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verde View Post
Similar experience for me with Hobbynox and Vallejo. Generally just use it for backing though so thin it with Tamiya X-20A thinners and whack the pressure up. Unthinned I find it cloggs too easily and can splatter.
Yeah that's what I find too.

I thought X-20A was a lacquer thinners, I've not tried it with the hobbynox.
I wanted to attempt to paint some white shells, but found its really inconsistent, so have hung off for now.

What pressure are you using?

hobbynox suggest:

"Hobbynox Airbrush Colors work best out of the bottle with a 0.5 mm tip-sized airbrush operated @ 2.8-3.5 BAR. For smaller tip-sizes, lower the BAR settings and fine-line detailed artwork - reduce with Hobbynox SP Reducer/Cleaner (up to 25%).

Hobbynox SP Reducer/Cleaner (sold separately):
To be used with Hobbynox Airbrush Colors when a thinner viscosity is wanted/needed.
Generally added 10% per volume to paint. May be added in greater quantities to achieve best viscosity for atomization of paint.
Paint has a 72 hour pot-life after mixing with SP Reducer/Cleaner."

I've not tried their SP reducer/cleaner to thin, but I have the faskolor fasthinner. I guess with the 72 hour pot life after mixing, its best not to add it directly to the paint pot to thin the lot? any ideas why this is?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 04-09-2018

Pressure wise, for backing I'm up to 40psi. I'm sure any acrylic thinner should do the job. Some people use water, but I stick to thinners using the 'milk-like' consistency as a bench mark.

Not sure about the 72hr rule Neal? I can only guess a chemical based thinner (as opposed to water) may alter the chemical make up of the paint, which then effectively voids what it says on the tin so-to-speak. Never had problems with storing thinned down solvent based stuff in the past, but not sure about acrylics. If it was all for personal use I'd experiment, but not if you're charging customers as one flakey shell could ruin a good reputation.
Old 04-09-2018

I would stay clear of Hobbyknox white, Its not very good, Createx solid white thinned down with water 3/1 works perfect for me.
Old 04-09-2018
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Kenny View Post
I would stay clear of Hobbyknox white, Its not very good, Createx solid white thinned down with water 3/1 works perfect for me.
ok thanks, i'll try that.
Old 04-09-2018
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verde View Post
Pressure wise, for backing I'm up to 40psi. I'm sure any acrylic thinner should do the job. Some people use water, but I stick to thinners using the 'milk-like' consistency as a bench mark.

Not sure about the 72hr rule Neal? I can only guess a chemical based thinner (as opposed to water) may alter the chemical make up of the paint, which then effectively voids what it says on the tin so-to-speak. Never had problems with storing thinned down solvent based stuff in the past, but not sure about acrylics. If it was all for personal use I'd experiment, but not if you're charging customers as one flakey shell could ruin a good reputation.
Yes i'm up at 40psi also. thinned the same way (but with faskolor thinner) but still not happy with it.
It's just for my own shells, I certainly wouldn't want to charge a customer for my painting. I've been testing this white on lexan offcuts, as i was not happy with it.
Old 08-09-2018

Hi Neal

Your .5 needle/nozzle combo should be fine

Mentioned already by Kenny createx is probably the best known brand you can use although I've used hobbynox without issues

Thin by 3/1 don't be overly concerned about the shelf life after reducer has been used, just as long as its kept out of cold and paint is given a good mix next time its used should be fine

I tend to use reducer, tap water if I don't have any. You can use any reducer whether it be RCS, hobbynox etc it's not vital you have to keep to same brand as the paint you use

One thing though do not use a chemical based thinner/reducer on water based paint

Number5RC is now LIVE! http://number5rc.co.uk

Stockists of Schumacher - Team Durango - Xray - XfactoryUK brands - Answer RC - LMR + More to be announced

Follow us on Facebook for live updates and news
Old 08-09-2018
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Parker View Post
Hi Neal

Mentioned already by Kenny createx is probably the best known brand you can use although I've used hobbynox without issues

Thin by 3/1 don't be overly concerned about the shelf life after reducer has been used, just as long as its kept out of cold and paint is given a good mix next time its used should be fine

I tend to use reducer, tap water if I don't have any. You can use any reducer whether it be RCS, hobbynox etc it's not vital you have to keep to same brand as the paint you use

One thing though do not use a chemical based thinner/reducer on water based paint
Cheers Mike, i'll try getting some createx next. I was a bit confused by their auto-air range, airbrush colours and wicked range, which to use, etc. some don't seem compatible.

I picked up a hobbynox reducer, but not had chance to use it yet.
3:1 ratio, do you mean 3 paint to 1 reducer, or the other way round?

I've been recommended RCS paint, but it doesn't seem to be available now.
Old 09-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
Cheers Mike, i'll try getting some createx next. I was a bit confused by their auto-air range, airbrush colours and wicked range, which to use, etc. some don't seem compatible.

I picked up a hobbynox reducer, but not had chance to use it yet.
3:1 ratio, do you mean 3 paint to 1 reducer, or the other way round?

I've been recommended RCS paint, but it doesn't seem to be available now.
No worries Neal

I would go with the standard or 'classic' range as its sometimes known, I've used autoair and the wicked ranges for certain applications

On the ratio 3 part paint to 1 part reducer, see how you get on if it still feels like it's coming out too thick just tailor to suit until you get a mix your comfortable with

Stockists of Schumacher - Team Durango - Xray - XfactoryUK brands - Answer RC - LMR + More to be announced

Old 09-09-2018

Quote:
No worries Neal

I would go with the standard or 'classic' range as its sometimes known, I've used autoair and the wicked ranges for certain applications

On the ratio 3 part paint to 1 part reducer, see how you get on if it still feels like it's coming out too thick just tailor to suit until you get a mix your comfortable with
With the classic, autoair and wicked ranges the are all water based too so you shouldn't have any issues swapping between them on the same shell

Old 10-09-2018
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
No worries Neal

Cheers Mike, I tried the hobbynox reducer and it seemed to work fine, paint sprayed like it has never done before. flowed smooth and no splatter. I mixed about 2:1.
Old 11-09-2018

Quote:
Hi Neal

Thanks for the note. Have a nice day.