Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround

Old 06-07-2012

Send a message via Skype™ to Cardnim
Question Rock Crawlers advice

Hey all,

Been loving some videos of rock crawler rc's on youTube recently and thinking about getting one myself.

I currently only have a Cat SX3 which I enjoy very much - and all the gear that goes with it (batts, electrics, decent 2.4Ghz radio etc)

Is there anyone who can recommend some stuff for me to have look at in the Crawler market which wouldnt break the bank, and might be able to reuse some of the above.

Ideally, the Crawler would use the same saddle 7.4v lipos, charger, transmitter as the Cat, and also be 1/10th scale.
Maybe that isnt possible though, as some of the high end crawlers seem to use 5 cell batteries and weird chargers?

Any advice very welcome
Old 06-07-2012

Send a message via MSN to metalmickey0

As i have three crawler/scalers it depends on what you want to do with it. In my experience for a scaler the best is the Axial SCX10 in either Honcho or Dingo version. As with the crawler then Axial also do a AX10. Or a similar version is the Maverick Scout. Both these are fairly cheap and all can use or original electrics no problem. They are all shaft driven too. But if you want MOA rigs(Motor On Axle) crawler then i think if you visit this site you can get better advise on them as i dont have one.
http://www.ukrcrc.com/site/

Hope all this little info helps
Old 06-07-2012

Cheers for the great advice.

Ive read great reports about Axial and they seem to be widely regarded as a very good choice. Maybe slightly out of my comfortable price range though, unless I get a bargain 2nd hand.
Ive read bout MOA but decided against it for now. Definately the way to go, but too much for all I want right now.

I guess I want something that I can sling in the car, drive 5 minutes up the road into the forest and drive up slopes, over roots in streams, etc.
Just have some fun with. Nothing serious.

I love the look of the "scale" type models, like the pickups, land rovers, jeep styles. I prefer these to the Axials I have to say.

Is there something you could recommend that goes some way to fitting this bill?
Also, you mentioned the electrics, do these things use saddles, are they 7.4v and what turn motor and drive setup would you recommend?
Old 06-07-2012

Send a message via Skype™ to Timee80

as said, the moa rigs are the best for performance, but if you want to use some of your current electrics and compete at crawling then the only real option is the losi comp crawler. It has worm drive and dig as standard, and you could use your brushless gear too (ideally a 17.5t or higher). You want a 3s lipo of around 1000mah capacity to give enough wheel speed and runtime. This size will allow you to place the battery over the front axle for better weight distrubtion as the losi has far too much weight high up in standard trim.
If you are going down the scale route i cant offer much advice because i was never interested in that side. Stick with a scx10 and you wont go far wrong
Have fun
Old 06-07-2012

The Honcho and Dingo do look like real cars, the AX10 looks like a proper rock crawler.
I have a Scout but I've changed a few things on it. Smaller batteries, better servo, better drive shafts, weighted sticky wheels and tyres and shifted some of the electrics for better balance.
After all that I broke a steering arm and haven't used it for a while!!
Old 06-07-2012

Didnt know what you meant by the Honcho and DIngo, so did a bit of hunting around. I think that is exactly the sort of thing Im after.

On that forum you pointed me too, got some great pics.
This one particularly stood out as Im a bit of a landy fan too:

Had a hunt around eBay, but all are brand new or demanding big bucks (+£200)
Guess I will just keep my eyes open for something going. Definately like the look of the SCX10 though, think thats the way to go.

Read about two different "classes" - 1.9" and 2.2"
I assumed that I would want 2.2" as this was the same as my Cat SX3 tyre diameter so therefore this would be 1.10th scale?
However, the Axial SCX10 is 1.9" possibly? (although difficult to tell as I cant see that stated anywhere)?
Old 06-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timee80 View Post
You want a 3s lipo of around 1000mah capacity to give enough wheel speed and runtime.
Does the SCX10 use 7.4v saddles? - do any crawlers?
Would be a big help if I didnt have to fork out for new batts too.
Old 06-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardnim View Post
Does the SCX10 use 7.4v saddles? - do any crawlers?
Would be a big help if I didnt have to fork out for new batts too.
yes it can use them but you`ll just have to run them end to end for them to fit straight on.
And the 1.9 or 2.2 is the size of the wheel rim only. If you want to enter a scale competition then only 1.9`s are allow as proper comp crawlers use 2.2 size
Old 06-07-2012

Also you can make things like this. It was a Dingo to start with, he just added some bits

Old 06-07-2012

That landy is awesome looking! First class.
Defo want one of those now. Really keen after looking around this evening at vids and pics.

Great news bout the saddles. So radio gear and batts I can use from the Cat, just Motor, ESC and servo to get then.

Was reading a couple of posts of guys saying the Honcho is better than the Dingo cause of the longer wheelbase?
Old 06-07-2012

Quote:
That landy is awesome looking! First class.
Defo want one of those now. Really keen after looking around this evening at vids and pics.

Great news bout the saddles. So radio gear and batts I can use from the Cat, just Motor, ESC and servo to get then.

Was reading a couple of posts of guys saying the Honcho is better than the Dingo cause of the longer wheelbase?
Everything on both vehicle are the same give or take. The only main difference is the wheel base. but that can be changed by getting a longer link set.
Old 06-07-2012

If you go brushless remember that for the speeds you'll be doing you really need a sensored set up.
Enjoy.
Old 06-07-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Another thumbs up for the Axial SCX10 Dingo. I've got the builders kit, and it's really good. I've got a Tekin FXR/35T crawler combo in mine, but think I prefer a regular 20 year old 27T stock motor for a bit more speed when going for walks with my daughter. The 35T is best for the rocks. You can make it work just great with the cheaper speedo/motors though. Brushed seems to be the best performance right now.
After running it for a while, I've found the stock front battery mounting position too high (CofG wise), so am in the process making a twin battery mount, low down, each side of the motor/transmission on the side rails. I think it will improve things, and removing the front battery mount and cross member frees up the front end suspension movement. It's a real tinkerers car, lots of mods and ways to build it. The standard kit is a 3-link suspension system. But included in the kit are the bits to convert it to a better 4-link suspension. You just need to add in a couple of M3x30mm bolts + locknuts and some 5-8mm m3 cap head screws. This is a must do mod.
I want to swapout the shocks next. The plastic kit ones function fine, but i'd prefer some decent ali ones.
I don't really care for the ultra scale detail look. i'd be to bothered about ragging it and destroying teh detail and paint, but i do like that it looks like a landy.

Mine taking a tumble on a walk with my daughter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGWkiitwdC0

I'd maybe like a proper competition crawler car, just for the amazing rock sticking performance, but can't justify the cost of a dual motor-on-axle system setup, just for a play. I mean i'd rather get other stuff first.
A single motor crawler like the AX10 or later with the new dig gearbox might be an option for the future though? but I might get a quad copter first ;-)

Have you seen the RC adventures rock crawling and scale runners videos on youtube? I watched these and decide I had to have one. This proved expensive, as it brought about my return to RC racing after 20 years off ;-)
RC Adventures. Look through some of the featured play lists for rock crawling, scaling and build/mod vids.

Also SCX10 build videos, review and running here on UltimateRC youtube
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 06-07-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmickey0 View Post
Everything on both vehicle are the same give or take. The only main difference is the wheel base. but that can be changed by getting a longer link set.
The longer link set is included in the Dingo builders kit. It would look odd though on the dingo landy body, as the wheelbase would be longer than the body wheel arches. Tyres would hit body.

Get the dingo builders kit, and run a longer pickup body later on if you wish to change. you'll have all the bits and other body mounts, etc.
The kit contains way more extras than the RTR honcho, such as the metal suspension and steering links, plus better propshafts.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 07-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
Have you seen the RC adventures rock crawling and scale runners videos on youtube? I watched these and decide I had to have one.
Totally agree hehehe.! That is exactly the videos that gave me the itch to get a crawler myself.
My 2 & half year old daughter and even my Mrs were just watching some of his new videos over lunch; and my Mrs was even saying that they were really great (thats a big thumbs up right there!!)

Thanks for the awesome advice guys. There is a Dingo on eBay at the mo for £200 starting price (comes with 80T motor!?!?!) so will watch that and see what happens.

Will keep you posted - thanks again!

P.S. if anyone is going to oOple Race and has an SCX10 or other nice crawler; it would be awesome to see. Ive never actually even seen one apart from those vids! And I dont know anyone over here who even has one.
Old 07-07-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Totally agree hehehe.! That is exactly the videos that gave me the itch to get a crawler myself.
My 2 & half year old daughter and even my Mrs were just watching some of his new videos over lunch; and my Mrs was even saying that they were really great (thats a big thumbs up right there!!)

Thanks for the awesome advice guys. There is a Dingo on eBay at the mo for £200 starting price (comes with 80T motor!?!?!) so will watch that and see what happens.

Will keep you posted - thanks again!

P.S. if anyone is going to oOple Race and has an SCX10 or other nice crawler; it would be awesome to see. Ive never actually even seen one apart from those vids! And I dont know anyone over here who even has one.
My 19 month old loves it. we go for walks and she chases it up the forest paths.

80T brushed will be quite slow i'd have thought, loads of torque though maybe it runs on 3S?
Standard seems to be 55T, but i'd run a 35T or 27T brushed, which you can get cheap enough. A bit more speed for walking. Or maybe run a 3S lipo with the 55/80T?
I have been running with a regular 5000mAh 25C 2S hard case stick pack. I've never run it flat, even on 2 hour walks, when i had a spare in my pocket!
I've just got a pair of 2200mAh really small traxxas sized lipos to try. will give me 4400mAh paralleled, but mounted each side of motor on outriggers. I should have this running tomorrow if i get the mount made.
I'm maybe thinking i should get some 2200mah 3S lipos now. cheap enough from giantshark or hobbyking. will give a bit more wheel speed with the 35T.

its good fun, but not everyone's cup of tea. Some other racers i know don't get it, but it perfect for going for walks with the little'un.
Old 07-07-2012

heres mine .
axial scx10 dingo
tekin fxr -35 t brushed
10a castle bec
savox 1256
2200 3s overlander lipo

i use http://www.scalerc.co.uk/ forum