Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 28-01-2011

so they are not strong enough???
Old 28-01-2011

They're plastic all over, including the gears, which I suspeect could be a weak point on landings. That said, it holds up just fine in my touring car with a 4,5T bolted in.
Old 02-04-2011
Mad Member

I believe Spec-R has released a diff for the TA05 which should be a direct fit for the TRF 511/501X
Old 03-04-2011

I think gear diffs are overated for offroad.

I have also heard people breaking belts regularly, so they really are not maintenance free.
Old 03-04-2011

I wouldnt say regularly, but yes, they do require replacement every once in a while. The front belt lasted all last season and got replaced before this season got underway, the rear was changed once last year and again before this season began. I expect to replace it again mid-summer(ish).
I've learned that if you tighten the belt one notch more than you'd do with normal diffs, they last longer. It also makes the car accelerate harder.
At local race meetings I normally race both 2WD and 4WD on the same day which makes for a hectic schedule. I dont have the time nor the energy to re-do both diff in the 511 during the day so in that regard, the geardiffs are perfect.
Old 03-04-2011
Mad Member

Belts wear anyway, but when my rear diff lasts at best 1 training session before it needs rebuilding, and even then halfway through the session it's very gritty already, then I'd rather use gear diffs for training and put the ball diffs for racing.
Old 03-04-2011

how do you find the car with gear diffs?

I know the onroad guys love it, but took a bit of time to get use to. I'm still a little skeptical on the gear diff usage for offroad however. I own a durango, and I dont know if the car would perform better with ball diffs.
Old 03-04-2011

My times are as fast or faster with geardiffs compared to normal diffs. We just had a major local race take place where me and my teammate were the fastest on track with 16.835 (me) and 16.806 (him) where I was running geardiffs and he ran normal diffs, so laptime wise, its about the same. The surface was high grip carpet. Only 1 other driver dipped below the 17 sec mark (Jonas Kaerup, former TC Euro Champ).

Unless we see loose dirt any time soon in this country, I'll never go back to normal diffs in my 4WD.
Old 08-04-2011

Send a message via ICQ to max1973 Send a message via MSN to max1973

Hi Guys my Name is max from Austria and i am very interestet on these geradiffs!!
Can i have a PM where i can order the Geardiff´s!!
Thanks Max
Tamiya Top Force
--------------------
http://www.psv-salzburg.net/
http://www.mkracing.info/team/
Old 05-06-2011

How are these diffs holding up? Anyone gone back to their regular diffs?
Old 08-06-2011

is it just me or does it seem like if your not a regular poster on here then your questions go unanswered on oople?? i've posted multiple times in various threads but never seem to get a response, its been this way for 2yrs now..

it seemed like quite a few were using these diffs but now its like they never happened?
Old 09-06-2011

I'm still using them. However, at the recent Nordics I had to switch to the normal ball diffs because of a very unusual tracl surface. Astroturf with long hair, high bite and bumpy. A surface that was terrible to drive on and the only place where I've felt the normal diffs outperformed the geardiffs.
The remaining rounds in our national championship is regular carpet where I'll be using the geardiffs again.