Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13-02-2015

Default RC10 B3 - still competitive? help needed

Can I resurrect my RC10 B3 buggy ?
A bit of background, I raced RC cars at a club near Swindon in the mid to late 1990’s. My cars were
Tamiya Mini M01 / Tamiya FWD unknown type / Yokomo YRF2 / Yokomo YR4 and off-road wise I had a gold bottom RC10 and finally an RC10 B3 buggy. I have no idea what happened to my cars, the only one I now have is my B3.

My intention is to take it apart and rebuild it to make sure no dirt or dried up oil will stop it running smoothly. However having looked online it seems things have changed quite a bit. For instance I used to run an 8T motor off 2000MHa battery sticks. Now there are brushless motors, but I fear they will make my spur a smooth wheel within seconds! However I don’t know if my ESC works still yet after sitting dormant for the best part of 17 years. I cant even find any of my transmitters so will need to get a lot of basic stuff again.
Basically I need to get batteries, probably a new motor, then check if the servo and ESC work. I cannot find the ludicrously expensive computerised battery charger I had, even if I did it probably wouldn’t work now with the new batteries. You may also tell me to be competitive that my Novak ESC will useless with more modern tech.

My question therefore experts is simple.
1. Can an RC10 B3 be competitive again at local club level? (I was never quite good enough to do anything regionally to any decent standard so would just want it to be a good club car)
2. If it can, can someone recommend the sort of set-up that would be best? To stop me buying stuff too powerful or just plain wrong and killing my beloved car.
Thank you in advance for your help…

Tags
rc10, vintage