Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Newcastle RC Racers

Old 22-08-2017

Default Can I race either of these?

I'm looking to purchase a 1/10th Touring Car, but I have limited budget, mainly because in the past I spent a fair bit of cash on off-road stuff, raced about 10 times, stopped going and sold all of my gear when we had a baby. So my budget is really small, then if I get into it again I can purchase new gear and pass this one down to the little-un (who's 4 now).

Here's links to two, fairly cheap RTRs, can someone confirm that I would be able to attend newcastle with either of these?

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/pro...d-rtr-touring/

and

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/carisma...roducts/406921

I understand I would need to change the tires and purchase a transponder too.

I'm also looking at maybe the Tamiya TT02 as well if I can stretch my budget a little.

I know some clubs have strict rules of what you can and cannot race, i.e. wheelbase, motor size etc. So any advice would be good.
Old 22-08-2017

I think you would be ok running either as there is quite a variety of 1/10th scale cars that run. Main limit is on the motor, 10.5 turn brushless so the 540 brushed in these would be ok as slower. I would personally go for a TT02 model due to greater spares availability.

Check if the ESC can take Lipo batteries, probably can if it is the same Tamiya one which came in my M05 Mini, these are lighter, cheaper and last longer although you need a charger and lipo bag to charge them in. You would want at least 2 batteries else you would be waiting on charging for ages.

Pop along to the club one night as some members may have second hand cars, batteries etc for sale. It isn't on next week due to the bank holiday, next meeting is the 4th.

If you get a TT02 you can also run it at Barley Mow on a Sunday night in the Tamiya class so would get more use out of it
Old 22-08-2017

The Facebook group is where most talk so probably worth posting in there

https://www.facebook.com/groups/123611601118821/
Old 22-08-2017

Thanks for the advice, just what I was looking for. Also thanks for recommending Barley Mow, I didn't know about it, and it's closer to me as I'm over in East Durham. Good to know there's two clubs I could attend.

Looking at the TT02, the cheapest there appears to be is this one (ModelSport have it for £99).
https://www.wirelessmadness.com/tami...led-kit)-58626
It looks like it comes with the BLE-02S ESC which from what I've read can handle a brushless motor down to 10.5, not sure if that supports LIPO though as it doesn't have a voltage cut-off.

For £20 more theres a TT02 with the Subaru shell, but given I'm on a budget that £20 could be spent on something else as I doubt the shell is going to make much difference other than looks for the time being.

Either way, if I purchase this, some radio gear, a quick charger and a couple of battery sticks, then I guess that should at least get me started and give me a route for progression via a new motor.
Old 22-08-2017

Both good clubs, get more 1/10th cars at this one though. That looks like a good deal and yes if running lipo I would want a cutout so best stick with nimh, won't make much difference. For that price it probably only comes with friction dampers so you may want to look out for some cheap oil filled ones. It does come with the torque tuned motor which is good and what most of us run at barley mow.

Alternative is to get a buggy which are also run at this one on a Monday, normally 8 or more, mix of 2 and 4wd. Benefit of a buggy is you can use them more or less anywhere. A touring car style is a bit limited due to the ride height, only a really smooth car park or similar. A buggy would be easier for your kid to try out in the future but downside is you could only run it here and not barley mow.

I wouldn't worry about the shell. Inside they get thrashed! I'm fairly competent yet still wreck mine! You can get quite a few pre painted ones cheap off ebay, seen some of the Carlilse outdoor lot using them, sure they were sub £20.
Old 22-08-2017
Mad Member

best advice is go to either club see whats popular to race, their will usually be s/hand bargains and good advice to be had which will be suitable to race

think twice buy once !!

dave
Old 22-08-2017

Thanks.

I attended NEAM (for a short-time) when it was at Seaham, but that must have been at least 5-8 year ago now, and it was off-road, and if I'm honest I think I always struggled with the jumps, so I fancy trying something different (touring cars), although I'm not 100% certain just yet.
Old 22-08-2017

Was just about to mention NEAM, they are now at the Nissan factory, they only have a couple of jumps so it's not like the normal indoor buggy racing. They start and finish a bit earlier now plus normally have a few youngsters racing and you can get food/drinks from the cafe bit in the sports hall.
Old 22-08-2017
Mad Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Steven Forster
Thumbs up

Yep we are now at Nissan and open on sundays from 4pm - 9pm and regularly get 30+ drivers each weeks........check out a couple of recent videos from our club night

50/50 surface (At Nissan)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRFcyUTB1Xw

Full EOS Carpet surface (At Seaham)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzFgs9YOWE8

Ex Club Chairman

Visit our Face Book Page for address and to book in

https://www.facebook.com/groups/289589121226171/

http://www.neamotorsport.co.uk/
Old 23-08-2017

Don't think barley mow race 10th anymore
Gt 12 12th lmp minis classes raced
Old 23-08-2017

BM does GT12, LMP on selective nights agreed in advance on Facebook then the "Tamiya" class which is a mixture, last week I ran my M05, there was a TT02, a Fwd Tamiya touring car and an old Schumacher 4wd tourer, all similar pace, good racing
Old 23-08-2017

I would stay away from the strada tc- they are really soft and break easily- you best bet would be a tamiya to start but really cant say more than what fidspeed has said- do your research- visit the clubs and see what people are running.
Old 25-08-2017

Pop along and speak with some of the lads, as I'm sure there's a few TC cars for sale at the moment

Currently running Schumachers Cat K1 Aero and Cougar KF, with my son running the Cat K1