Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team C Racing

Old 19-01-2013
oOple Advertiser

Default TM2 race report

At west bridgeford indoor championship round 2.

The first major outing today for the TM2 saw 2 cars in the A final, Ian Mellish and John Jones, with Paul muzgrove doing a great job in the B final

A very close and even final saw Ian mellish finishing in a great second place just behind Lloyd storey, and John after a big off working back upto 6th place, 15 seconds behind the winner.

The TM2 is staggeringly good on carpet, in fact it took me all four rounds to dial myself into how fast it was capable of going!

Without the crash I would possibly have been pushing for a place on the podium, something I could only have dreamed of until getting this car.

--SMD--INSIDE LINE MODELS--PR RACING UK--

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79696
Old 19-01-2013
oOple Advertiser

Well done John, great to see you like the handling of the new TM2. Keep us posted on future outings with the car and any changes you make.

Racing for me was cancelled due to the weather this weekend so i'll have nothing to report till Tuesday.

Alec
Old 19-01-2013
oOple Advertiser

Hopefully the photo is visible of the results as its off my iPhone.........

Attachment 48136

My feedback
Old 19-01-2013

What John says!

The car was great today and needed minimal tuning to get on the pace, i havent got the car in front of me...someone has borrowed it to take to a Broxtowe club meeting but my end set-up was summet like this...(ill re-post if anything is different!)

Front

Medium springs
kit pistons (taper facing down...manual says to have them facing up?)...What size are the front kit piston holes, they're tiny!
35 weight Associated oil
Middle hole on tower
Outer hole on arm
25 degree castor blocks
Longest possible camber link, no spacers under ballstud.
Ride height 19mm
Low profile cut Schum. yellow stgd ribs

Rear

Medium springs
Kit pistons
25 weight Associated oil
Outer hole on tower....(i preferred it to the middle hole as it felt as if the car rotated a little better, though my fastest laps were identical to having them placed on the middle hole!)
Inner hole on arm
Sorry, cant remember the camber link positions....probably kit!
1mm anti roll bar
2mm camber
Ride height 19mm
Diff oil 1000

urrmm...think thats it!

Great first outing for the car but i suspect we will face a stiffer challenge next week at worksop!
Old 19-01-2013

The car was great today and it was my best result ever . I would have finished better in to the B final if I hadn't got a case of red mist near the end. I need a bit more practise dealing with that much pressure . It tough near the top LOL.

I can't fault the car at all, I just wonder if running the roll bar on mine would have made any difference?
Old 19-01-2013
oOple Advertiser

The biggest improvement you could make is to loose the red mist lol.

I was dead last After 2 laps And angry with myself, but 5 mins is a long time so I took a second to compose and caught everyone up (well some people!)

That's something I learned from watching Jamie booth and Phil booth over many years.

The best thing is you've got a car that is capable of catching up! Lol

My feedback
Old 19-01-2013

Well done to me two mansfield club boys john & muzzie great results i realy want mine to get sorted so i can compete but i am sure john will do the the bizo on it and a new sanwa tranny on its way should help too
Old 19-01-2013
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stall4king View Post
What John says!

The car was great today and needed minimal tuning to get on the pace, i havent got the car in front of me...someone has borrowed it to take to a Broxtowe club meeting but my end set-up was summet like this...(ill re-post if anything is different!)

Front

Medium springs
kit pistons (taper facing down...manual says to have them facing up?)...What size are the front kit piston holes, they're tiny!
35 weight Associated oil
Middle hole on tower
Outer hole on arm
25 degree castor blocks
Longest possible camber link, no spacers under ballstud.
Ride height 19mm
Low profile cut Schum. yellow stgd ribs

Rear

Medium springs
Kit pistons
25 weight Associated oil
Outer hole on tower....(i preferred it to the middle hole as it felt as if the car rotated a little better, though my fastest laps were identical to having them placed on the middle hole!)
Inner hole on arm
Sorry, cant remember the camber link positions....probably kit!
1mm anti roll bar
2mm camber
Ride height 19mm
Diff oil 1000

urrmm...think thats it!

Great first outing for the car but i suspect we will face a stiffer challenge next week at worksop!
Did you try it with and without the rollbar Iain? How did the diff feel with the 1000wt?
Alec
Old 19-01-2013
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzie View Post
The car was great today and it was my best result ever . I would have finished better in to the B final if I hadn't got a case of red mist near the end. I need a bit more practise dealing with that much pressure . It tough near the top LOL.

I can't fault the car at all, I just wonder if running the roll bar on mine would have made any difference?
Well done mate, keep it up (red mist disappears eventually) ;0)
Old 19-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartalec View Post
Did you try it with and without the rollbar Iain? How did the diff feel with the 1000wt?
Alec
No, i tried it in practice and felt the car was aided in the change of direction that a roll bar seems to give...i guess i should have tried it but after losing a round and changing other things i left it.

The diff felt really good, the car was really smooth and accurate to throttle and brake input and i guess it may help just free the back end a bit more?
Old 19-01-2013
oOple Advertiser

I had 2000 oil in mine but in hindsight think it would have been even better with the 1000.

I also didn't run the roll bar in practice and the first round, definitely improved when I put it on.

My feedback
Old 03-02-2013
oOple Advertiser

Tm2 in the hands of SMD team driver Ian mellish today won (and tq'd I believe) Broxtowe snowman series.

A dominant performance by the new car outdoors, winning by half a lap, in cold and at times damp conditions.

The car was almost standard and running the gear diff.

My feedback
Old 03-02-2013
oOple Advertiser

Excellent result outdoors on a cold day, great to see the TM2 as an all rounder and not just a high traction car.

It's been reported to me that the car was also fantastic down at T.O.R.C.H in the damp (I believe) today.

Please post your set ups to help out all drivers of this awesome car.
Old 03-02-2013
oOple Advertiser

Broxtowe indoor club night, 1st over all

High traction carpet with very small wooden ramps.

Front; hard team c springs, 40 weight oil, shocks inboard top and bottom, yellow cut staggers, 30 deg caster, longest possible top link with 1/2 degree camber.

Rear; medium kit springs, 20 weight oil with half the piston holes drilled out to 1.5, shocks middle position at top, inner at bottom, short camber link with 1 degree camber, 1.3mm anti roll bar, short wheelbase.

Car would have gone even better with thicker oil in the rear.

It's interesting that my motor and speedo are getting warm for the first time ever, showing how much power I can use with this car.

My feedback
Old 03-02-2013

I do a race in france. I ve some problem withe my slipperbduring the 2 qualificatication but i thinks it s was a bad pignon.
I arrived to have the 4 place in B final the time offer the A without my problem.
I won the B main and many personn are very interesting.
Old 03-02-2013
oOple Advertiser

Well done Ben, good result with a brand new car, nice that your time was good for the A main. Use a black spur gear in your car, they are stronger

My feedback
Old 03-02-2013

Yes i ve destroy one black and one yellow.
But it s the fault of the pignon
Old 03-02-2013
oOple Advertiser

Well done Ben, great result, make sure you really tighten the motor clamp down.
Old 04-02-2013

I ran the car in wet/greasy conditions on Astro
i changed quite a lot but ended up with a very balanced and fast car

FRONT
losi 30w oil Losi green springs
25 deg caster
2mm inboard shims
45g weight under reciever
Shocks middle on tower inner on arm
1 Deg camber
yellow staggers

Rear
losi 25w oil losi pink springs
shocks middle on tower and inner on arm
1k diff oil
2.5mm antisquat
40g weight in front of front rear hinge pin holder
NO ROLL BAR
1.5 deg camber
BB greens

20 mm ride height front and rear
Lmr wing
standard shell
Old 04-02-2013

Hi y'all...

Hope you all had a good weekends racing as did we

Just a bit of a report back on how we got on at Broxtowe yesterday and what changes to the car we made throughout the day.

Broxtowe is my home track so i was really looking forward to giving the car a good test, and when i opened my eyes in the morning to see that it wasnt raining i was even more excited! Although no rain had fallen the track was, as is nearly always the case early on, pretty damp. I must point out though that even in the wet that Broxtowe is a grippy track, but, in my opinion, is very sensative to changes in temperature....and with yesterday being cold, shivering to the bone cold (but not frozen), it meant that coupled with a damp track, grip levels were very low. Thankfully, by the end of practice, or certainly by the end of the first round, the track was mainly dry....happy days for TM2 drivers! I wouldnt say the track was high grip but it certainly wasnt low grip....lets say moderate!

Below is my starting set-up for practice....

Front

37.5 Associated oil
Losi black springs
Kit pistons....but two of the holes drilled out to 1.4mm, (im still not sure if 1.4 is too big)
Middle hole on tower
Outer on wishbone
Longest possible camber link (no shims under ballstud)
25 degree castor blocks
Ballistic buggy green tyres

Rear

20 associated oil
Core RC soft springs....these fit really nice on the TM2 shocks!
Kit pistons
Middle hole on tower
*Drilled inner hole on wishbone*
Shortest possible camber link
2 degrees anti-squat
2 degrees camber
*Simon moss stylee slotted top deck*
Ballistic buggy greens

Throughout practice the only thing we changed was the rear shock oil as i felt it was way too soft and that it was taking too much weight off the front so i upped it to 25 weight associated oil.

After the first round i felt that although the car was performing well the ballistic buggy front tyres were not giving the feel to the car that i wanted, they would grip initially and then wander...leaving you waiting in the middle of the corner until the car came back to you...hope that makes as much sense on here as it does in my head! We decided to give staggered ribs a go, and due to the cold conditions we opted for the super soft silver compound which i have seen work well on other drivers cars here in the past.

This just planted the car and it made it so much easier to hold a line, fast or slow. I could just chuck it into corners and it would stick and take off again and with the track drying out it was even better with the gear diff (with 1000 oil in)...thinking about it, it may have been even better with 2000 weight in as on the exit of some corners it felt like the car just wanted to carry on rotating....though that would be being very picky!

The only other thing we changed throughout the day was the anti-squat. It was difficult to get any power down on the exit of some corners and reverting back to 0 degrees pretty much cured this. The only areas on the track i thought this wasnt beneficial was on the long-ish sweeping corner leading onto the straight as with more anti-squat on i could drive it in one long fluid arch, but with 0 degrees i felt that i was on and off power a lot to keep the front end steering on the racing line.

Overall it was a brilliant outing for the car, and an even better result. I cant wait for the sunshine to return because some good results are going to be had! I guess thats kind of a long winded post to explain only two or three changes we made to the car but i just wanted to share how and why we got to where we did