Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 09-02-2013
Mad Member

Just so I can understand as I'm new but who is the maker of RC4, is it AMB?
Old 09-02-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Was called Amb its now mylaps
Old 09-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
If drivers vote with their feet, didn't change over, and just stopped going to clubs which have upgraded, you bet they'd be going to MyLaps, demanding a workaround to get MRT bugs working with the new system.
I don't think you get the point Gary, it isn't clubs being mean, they are only trying to future proof themselves. If my clubs decoder goes faulty, I send it back as an RC3, it comes back as an RC4 leaving (at the moment) everyone who has an MRT out of pocket. All it would require is for BBK to support RC3 into the future rather than stopping it. Maybe it has something to do with the new decoders having new chips, but I am guessing like ESC firmware, what can be upgraded by flashing CAN ALSO be downgraded by flashing, but for BBK this doesn't make good business sense for one, as with RC4 will see PT sales rocket.
Old 09-02-2013
Mad Member

Riiiiiiiight I see so AMB is mylaps and MRT is a different company who make transponders that worked on mylaps equipment but mylaps has bought RC4 which now only works with they're gear, is that kinda right lol
Old 09-02-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The 'no more handouts' thing is a bit of a farce though.
It would be perfectly easy to make new handouts - stick a Harry in a larger case with a suitable battery and you have an RC4 capable handout. Its not rocket science and could easy be done for less than £100 a unit.

I've seen a few 1/8th clubs with no handouts. New racers must either buy a PT or not be counted. 1/8th is a bit more complex to get started in though, so its less of an issue.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 10-02-2013

Yeah the wires are so stiff on the RC4 transponder there's no way it would survive as a handout being swapped out of heaps of cars.
I remember when they sent out an offer of a 45% discount on RC3/4 hybrids if you gave them all your handouts and charging rack, was thinking they should be paying us if we give them all that.
Old 10-02-2013
Banned

To me, and biggest disappointment, is that literally nobody is saying anything to MRT - or pressuring them to get their act together to get their transponders "compatible" with the new RC4 decoders.
We can't be blaming MyLaps/AMB for what they've done - but meanwhile MRT, who've been cashing in for years selling their knockoff/clone transponders, are the ones who are offering nothing in the way of Customer Support.
Old 10-02-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

People have been in contact with MRT. They say they are 'looking into it'. Until they get an RC4 decoder in their hands and start testing with it, there isn't anything that can be done. Even then its not certain that there is an easy fix.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 10-02-2013

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby View Post
To me, and biggest disappointment, is that literally nobody is saying anything to MRT - or pressuring them to get their act together to get their transponders "compatible" with the new RC4 decoders.
We can't be blaming MyLaps/AMB for what they've done - but meanwhile MRT, who've been cashing in for years selling their knockoff/clone transponders, are the ones who are offering nothing in the way of Customer Support.

thats a bold claim!! they are working on a fix currently,many have spoke to them and they know far more than you seem to think you do!! but then had you spoke to them like i have you would know that!
its not a case of an instant fix, they need to do a fair bit of home work, but clive and terry are very clever guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
People have been in contact with MRT. They say they are 'looking into it'. Until they get an RC4 decoder in their hands and start testing with it, there isn't anything that can be done. Even then its not certain that there is an easy fix.
thier on with it
Old 10-02-2013
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to danDanEFC

Mark, are you a spokesman for MRT?

Maybe they might have something on their website, I will go and check.

Nothing on the MRT website. I have 2 MRT's and I am unsure what to do.
Old 10-02-2013
Mad Member

As DCM says, this thread really is shite now. Someone put it out its misery...
Old 10-02-2013
Mad Member

I don't understand this thread. Surely the simple thing to do is trade in in your MRT for a Harry you are sorted. Better that than forking out the full price later in the year?

People who bought MRT PT's went for the cheaper option which is fair enough but now they won't work on the new MYLAPS system. Why should MYLAPS worry about that?

I haven't read every post so sorry if I'm not getting the point but it seems a bit of a nothing thread for people to moan.

Dave
Reedy

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63097
Old 10-02-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
How come clubs have the decoder, and MRT is acting like they can't get one?
That doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
thats a bold claim!! they are working on a fix currently,many have spoke to them and they know far more than you seem to think you do!! but then had you spoke to them like i have you would know that!
its not a case of an instant fix, they need to do a fair bit of home work, but clive and terry are very clever guys.
No, it's not an "instant fix" - but we're not talking inventing the laptop computer or building a rocket to go to the moon either.
What is a bold claim is saying "they area working on a fix currently," if you don't work for MRT and aren't the one working on the fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discothesnake View Post
Surely the simple thing to do is trade in in your MRT for a Harry you are sorted. Better that than forking out the full price later in the year?

People who bought MRT PT's went for the cheaper option which is fair enough but now they won't work on the new MYLAPS system. Why should MYLAPS worry about that?
Nobody said anything about "MyMaps worrying about it" - what I'm saying is that MRT should be worrying about it and jumping through hoops to service their customers, that spent their money on MRT's product. And not having something on their website, or even emailing previous customers, is a travesty.

But, frankly, I don't care if somebody has a MyLaps or a MRT transponder - something seems wrong if they bought either model in the last year and find out it's useless and they have to pay to trade-up to a new model. Nobody's coming to defense of the people with relatively new transponders that are being told, "you have to pay to upgrade." Imagine the stink that would be raised if your ESC's software stopped working, and the manufacturer told you that you had to send it in to be traded in and you had to pay for the privilege of being able to run your car let alone race your car.
Old 11-02-2013

One possibly way to look at the mrt replacement program by bbk is, you brought your mrt for £45-50, rather than Mylaps at nearly £100. Now you got to spend £42 on an upgrade, so you still saved money
Old 11-02-2013
Mad Member

Default ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiv View Post
One possibly way to look at the mrt replacement program by bbk is, you brought your mrt for £45-50, rather than Mylaps at nearly £100. Now you got to spend £42 on an upgrade, so you still saved money
Harry is £76....... thats the full retail price.

where did you get £100 from?

basically. everyone will have to upgrade there MRT PT's to either a Harry or Purcy.
Harry works everywhere, the purcy only on the later systems.

SO, best idea. is send in your MRT PT to mylaps, pay the £34to £42 trade in price and get a PT that will work NOW everywhere and continue for years.
Simple!
If your local club gets together and send in a load of them, you should get a discount as shown above.

Lets just accept we need to move with the times and to continue with the hobby we love, another £30 or £40 will not stop anyone racing. no matter what the comments have been, you would not "give up racing" for a £40 upgrade.
Get real. if you blew up a speedo or motor, would that be the end of the hobby for you\???? no, of course not.
Yes its a crap situation and its US, the end user that suffers financially, and the companies that make/sell the PT's dont really care, they are making money. Thats the name of the game.
Mylaps RC PT's is a small part of the Transponder sales, they make them for full size race cars, peoples legs etc etc.... and there £500 plus for a real car so its even a scale price for us so to speak.

Just accept times move on and you have to get new things once in a while.

I hate the fact we have to do this, but also accept we have to move with the times.

SO, MOVE WITH THE TIMES....... Or should we go back to brushed, nicads and someone pressing buttons on a computer and another calling those numbers out............................................... ...............
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 11-02-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discothesnake View Post
I don't understand this thread. Surely the simple thing to do is trade in in your MRT for a Harry you are sorted. Better that than forking out the full price later in the year?

I haven't read every post so sorry if I'm not getting the point but it seems a bit of a nothing thread for people to moan.

Dave
http://www.bbksoftware.com/ambrc/Myl...%20Release.pdf

The BBK offer to trade in MRT's is pretty generous in my opinion, considering they are basically taking a fake product and giving you an authentic one at a heavy discount in return. But that offer stops at the end of March, as does the offer for a cheap upgrade to the RC4 decoder.

That might not be a problem right now - but it will become a growing problem in years to come. AMB/Mylaps won't support RC3, supplies of Hybrid transponders will probably dry out soon, and any club that wants to buy an AMB/Mylaps system (or needs a repair) will end up with RC4 - and straight away you are back to the same issues with MRT transponders.

UK racing has nothing to gain by declining the AMB/Mylaps updates in favour of keeping compatibility with MRTs. What seems a cheap choice now, will be an expensive decision forced up us in a couple of years time. And any suggestion that AMB/Mylaps will have to cave into pressure from a few UK racers and withdraw RC4 or change it to ensure compatibility is a complete flight of fancy - there is a plentiful market for RC4, with or without the UK.

I'm just glad I stuck with an authentic AMB from Day 1. I didn't buy an MRT on principle. My transponder will work with any decoder, and I know that I'm the only person with my number anywhere in the world. Not something every MRT user can say. It's a shame the the existence of the MRTs has put the clubs - the backbone of racing - in such a difficult position.
Old 11-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARTMAN View Post
Harry is £76....... thats the full retail price.

where did you get £100 from?
Prior to harry when people were buying the most mrt's they were nearer £100 hence the reason many people brought MRT.

It wont be long before the rc4 thing calms down before the harry rises in price again.
Old 11-02-2013

Actually cost wise you could hand in your AMB to MRT and get 2 MRT bugs for the price of one, so in fact the £45-50 upgrade cost is in fact double the price of an MRT.

Agree, we will have to move on, but how come companies such as AMB and MyLaps can charge so much for a product that a smaller firm can produce at half, if not a quater of that price ? Smoething still stinks of racers being over a barrell !!

Currently utilising (abusing) Durango DEX210 / KO Propo Espritt III / Tekin / LRP / SpeedPassion / Savox
Old 11-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo90 View Post
Actually cost wise you could hand in your AMB to MRT and get 2 MRT bugs for the price of one, so in fact the £45-50 upgrade cost is in fact double the price of an MRT.

Agree, we will have to move on, but how come companies such as AMB and MyLaps can charge so much for a product that a smaller firm can produce at half, if not a quater of that price ? Smoething still stinks of racers being over a barrell !!
because the smaller firm had no development and r/d costs?
Old 11-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo90 View Post

They can charge what they want because they are a company making money not a charity.....how can primark make a tshirt for £3 and then superdry sell a tshirt for £30...some company's are better at making money than others, don't get this much complaint about programmes being compatable with both windows and mac