Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 04-05-2016
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aire valley View Post
Mmmm....so one set per round is crap....but you use two sets per meeting.....I.e one set every two and a half rounds...
..still seems pretty expensive to me...!
Which then get used for practice meetings, so results to being fair game for durability.

If your not willing to use one or two sets of tyres for a regional or national then stick to club racing and enjoy it.
Old 04-05-2016
Supah doOpah

I still haven't read a valid point why FTD results in less new tyres being used?
Old 04-05-2016
Mad Member

It make no difference FTD or R by R each type has its own pros and cons I prefer R by R

And yeah I will stick tyres on to have the edge every time tyres are the most important factor of any for of motor racing
Old 04-05-2016
Supah doOpah

Thats my point stu.. the OP seems to think it is the case however
Old 04-05-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRotheram View Post
I still haven't read a valid point why FTD results in less new tyres being used?
Round by Round needs to be paired with a maximum tyre rule to work best for everyone, otherwise it's as bad as FTD with regards to weather - that's the real point.

Maximum tyre set rule makes it fair for everyone, makes racing more interesting because it adds tyre management and even strategy to it (but with round by round it makes everyone go out) and tests driving ability in lower grip conditions - Easy to police too with tyre/wheel nail varnish or sticker marking, which is ticked off on a driver chart too.

Unfortunately I find it a little sad that references to full size motorsport come into play; as much as some ego's don't like it, these are toy cars so cost for the young (without rich dads) and family's should be priority awareness.

Last edited by Steveonamission; 04-05-2016 at 05:46 PM. Reason: OTT
Old 04-05-2016
Supah doOpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveonamission View Post

Maximum tyre set rule makes it fair for everyone, makes racing more interesting because it adds tyre management and even strategy to it (but with round by round it makes everyone go out) and tests driving ability in lower grip conditions - Easy to police too with tyre/wheel nail varnish or sticker marking, which is ticked off on a driver chart too.
Find the people at clubs willing to do it, then its viable. There are next to no people who actively help clubs, its always been the way - and that's why such rules dont exist due to man power.
Old 04-05-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRotheram View Post
Find the people at clubs willing to do it, then its viable. There are next to no people who actively help clubs, its always been the way - and that's why such rules dont exist due to man power.
Unfortunately that is another real case and so admittedly, this sort of policing is only suitable at BRCA level events, where host clubs don't take on more responsibility.
Old 04-05-2016
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveonamission View Post
Round by Round needs to be paired with a maximum tyre rule to work best for everyone, otherwise it's as bad as FTD with regards to weather - that's the real point.

Unfortunately I find it a little sad that references to full size motorsport come into play; as much as some ego's don't like it, these are toy cars so cost for the young (without rich dads) and family's should be priority awareness.

so what stops some one using a set for ftd, when the fastes time wins, then your going to do all to make sure it is your fastest run...
Old 04-05-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
so what stops some one using a set for ftd, when the fastes time wins, then your going to do all to make sure it is your fastest run...
I don't understand the point you are making? You seem to have just explained FTD to everyone...

Anyway, it was always a problem in touring car, so that's why I chimed in. I remember someone used a new set every round at a (FTD) event, they qualified 10th in A and I qualified BQ, so I quit because i'm a sore loser .

Last edited by Steveonamission; 04-05-2016 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-05-2016
Mad Member

What do they do at the world champs I know they have control tyres but is it just use a new set every round?

I used to love running near bald rear yellow minis in doors
Old 04-05-2016

I am pleased it wasn't just me that didn't understand his point lol
Old 12-05-2016

I raced at a regional event last week end, now I used 2 sets of tyres we had 4 qualifying rounds and 3 leg finals the qualifying was round by round.

To be honest I ended up having a poor day one of my rear wheels (brand new) is out of shape and that set was awful, shame i didn't realise but hey that's racing.

My point at this meeting were 30 drivers most of which are of a club racer standard most run 1 or 2 sets of tyres, but in the top heat I know of one driver that used 8 pairs of rear tyres don't know how many fronts but 8 sets of rears. Whiles I could see this at a national event but a regional with 30 drivers he didn't even qualify pole now to me that's just excessive, wear was an issue running mini pins indoors.

i made middle of the B effectively running 2 sets of tyres one being rubbish compared to the other did it really Warent 60 quid + in tyres plus rims and insert just for a meeting, I guess it's the drivers choice or if they are a sponsored driver and have a deal on tyre it's not so bad but joe public pay good money to race as well but get beat by the check book racer. I guess it is what it is but to encourage new drivers into the hobby control needs to be gathered or no new blood will enter the hobby as it's far to expensive to be competitive I would be for a control number of tyres for each meeting as previous have said then it's more about management and driver ability.

I probably won't bother with the rest of the regionals due to this I would rather run club races as at the most people have 1 new set for the meeting as its club racing. Just think that guy could have run around on rims and still only been 10 in the C final. Round by round it's not my preferred qualifying method either but that a different topic.
Old 12-05-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The issue is not with drivers using multiple sets of tyres - ultimately it is with the need to do so to be competitive.
Fresh rubber is always an advantage, but if the difference is not significant there is little point wasting money on it unless you really want to. Cheque book racers will always try to buy themselves an edge, but frequently its purely psychological.
However modern 2wd cars are heavily dependent on the rear tyres themselves for traction due to all that weight moved forwards. Performance drops off rapidly as the tyre wears, making a fresh set very handy.

Maybe its time to retire (no pun intended) the venerable yellow minispike and replace it with something more durable but less grippy. Something where the 'edge' took a few more races to really wear off, and that encouraged the use of cars where some weight over the back axle was required to get any traction at all.
The money men would still use a fresh set every run, but instead of grumbling the rest of us would just laugh at them spending far more than they need to.....

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 15-05-2016

Quote:
Maybe its time to retire (no pun intended) the venerable yellow minispike and replace it with something more durable but less grippy. Something where the 'edge' took a few more races to really wear off, and that encouraged the use of cars where some weight over the back axle was required to get any traction at all.
The money men would still use a fresh set every run, but instead of grumbling the rest of us would just laugh at them spending far more than they need to.....

Thats it si, my lad went through 3 pair of yellow at rhr yesterday 2 runs and they were losing rear grip towards the end of 2nd run, im going to try blue at southport today. I dont mind spending on tyres for big events but club days ill run 1 set all day and make do

Last edited by Col; 15-05-2016 at 08:41 PM.