Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

View Poll Results: Update on for sale section rules
Should all posts in the for sale section have photos? 81 92.05%
Should it be left it as it is? 7 7.95%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23-12-2017
Awesome Admin

Default Do you want photos on all posts in the for sale section?

I’m putting a poll up for 1 moth from today and the majority will win. Should the rule for photos on all adverts in the kits section be extended to the other sections? So ALL adverts in the for sale sections should have photos of he actually item for sale at the time of posting.
Old 23-12-2017

Although I have found the attachment upload system to be a bit of a ball-ache, that's usually because I've been trying to upload images that were >400kb.

I think photos are a must. I'd go as far as to suggest that they should also feature a handwritten dated note to re-assure buyers that the thing they're potentially paying for actually does exist.
Old 23-12-2017

if a post has links to photos (ie facebook) I don't see this as being a bad thing

you have even more info on the seller then like his own facebook account etc
Old 23-12-2017
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm_2008 View Post
Although I have found the attachment upload system to be a bit of a ball-ache, that's usually because I've been trying to upload images that were >400kb.

I think photos are a must. I'd go as far as to suggest that they should also feature a handwritten dated note to re-assure buyers that the thing they're potentially paying for actually does exist.
This has never worked for me so I just use other hosting companies

Facebook is fine as long as anyone can access the pictures without having a Facebook account
Old 23-12-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeboy44 View Post
if a post has links to photos (ie facebook) I don't see this as being a bad thing

you have even more info on the seller then like his own facebook account etc
Facebook is blocked on the pc I use in work for viewing oople so none of the photos show up anyway.
Also a lot of photo hosting sites are blocked.
The only forsale pages I get to see photos on are the ones directly uploaded to the forum database.
I for one won't buy anything without seeing photos first
Old 23-12-2017
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Totally agree with photos on all (for sale).

If you have the item for sale there should be no issue with a photo. It should be posted with a photo.

Its shows the item for sale so the buyer can see what they are buying, item condition and most of all, the seller has it for sale with less chance of any issues.....

**** 5 Metres Speed Swimming Champion 1976****
Old 23-12-2017
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddyeds View Post
Facebook is blocked on the pc I use in work for viewing oople so none of the photos show up anyway.
Also a lot of photo hosting sites are blocked.
The only forsale pages I get to see photos on are the ones directly uploaded to the forum database.
I for one won't buy anything without seeing photos first
Snap!! As in, "me too" not snap as in "photo" although by saying snap, I do want photos. You know what I mean!!

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 24-12-2017

Better with photos showing details of any damage you too often see ppl writing things like ‘only ran for two 5 minute races’ or ‘in excellent condition’ when in fact whatever is being sold more often has damage that is highly underestimated.
Not saying ppl are telling pork pies just different ppl have different opinions and deserve to see what they are potentially buying.
Old 24-12-2017

As a general rule I make initial contact on here then request extra pictures via whatsapp anyway. Selling a chassis recently I did a video to show each outdrive, details of any damage etc.

I do like to see pictures but the whole 400kb size thing is annoying...take pictures on phone, email to Mac, re-size, then clunky upload.

Is there not a way to allow forum to just accept bigger files? Then auto delete all adverts and associated files after 6 weeks?
Old 24-12-2017
Mad Member

I don't like the facebook links to pictures. The few I've looked at that have had links do not have a users name in the face book info, just pictures.

Or we could take it another level and put a name and date on a piece of paper next to the items. This is used on Gun and Photography forums i use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8679.jpg (157.9 KB, 15 views)

Schumacher F1..The original KF.
TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 24-12-2017
Mad Member

Myself, I always add pictures to my sales ads. That said I'm wondering: what is supposed to be achieved by obliging people to add pictures? And how effective is it at achieving that goal?

For me, I would only buy an item if I have enough information to estimate whether the item is what I'm looking for, in the condition I want it to be and whether the buyer seems trustworthy. You can make it mandatory for a seller to offer this information, but in my view it only raises the bar to offer something for sale. This I think will be the case especially for products that are less likely to find a buyer, such as cars, parts & equipment that are uncommon/rare. Introducing such a rule only makes it harder to sell, and as a buyer, harder to find than they already were.

Assuming that the goal is to increase the rate of happy buyers and sellers, is it possible to:

- Leave it to the buyer to be cautious?
- Nuance aforementioned 'picture' rules based on the reputation/feedback of a seller?
- Introduce handles or a format with which people can put items for sale, can make item decriptions and/or as a buyer, ask about a product's condition, in order to make sure neither party has forgotten to provide or inquire about the product's condition and/or what's included?

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy

Last edited by Origineelreclamebord; 24-12-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 24-12-2017

Something else, on a sold item the seller deletes the price and sometimes description, I think it should be marked sold and not altered in any other way as it may give a reference for others to see what price things are going for.
Old 25-12-2017
Mad Member

Good point. Similarly, could the integrity of the sales section benefit from storing all post content on oOple's servers, and ensuring all edit history is visible? To keep the file database manageable, I can imagine sales posts (or specifically, their attachments) could be live/kept online for only a limited time?

PS: I know the thread/poll relates to a specific question. As such I hope my comments are appreciated and seen as constructive. If I'm going too far off-topic, then please let me know

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy

Last edited by Origineelreclamebord; 25-12-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 25-12-2017
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Take this,who would buy for that price with no pictures

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194464
Old 26-12-2017
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob View Post
Something else, on a sold item the seller deletes the price and sometimes description, I think it should be marked sold and not altered in any other way as it may give a reference for others to see what price things are going for.

Take a look HERE it has been mentioned about not deleting the prices and content in threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origineelreclamebord View Post
Good point. Similarly, could the integrity of the sales section benefit from storing all post content on oOple's servers, and ensuring all edit history is visible? To keep the file database manageable, I can imagine sales posts (or specifically, their attachments) could be live/kept online for only a limited time?

PS: I know the thread/poll relates to a specific question. As such I hope my comments are appreciated and seen as constructive. If I'm going too far off-topic, then please let me know

Im not sure if any of what you are talking about would cost extra money but I would think the forum is run very tightly.

How ever, thats not to say a one off donation from all of us that use the For Sale/Wanted sections could contribute.

Schumacher F1..The original KF.
TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 30-12-2017
Mad Member

maybe this is a bad idea and wouldnt get much support but has anyone ever thought about having an oople membership, even if its only 1 or 2 pound a year, its the price of a cup of coffee these days or a double cheesburger, it would help pay for the oople servers and would mean you couldnt sell on here unless your a paying member and sellers addresses would be stored through the paypal payment process and help stop scammers just coming on here to con people out of their money, and i agree with every item your selling should have a pic as some scammers use pics found on the web and the owner may see that pic on here and report it and stop people being scammed
Old 31-12-2017
Mad Member

Default membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondoolaa View Post
maybe this is a bad idea and wouldnt get much support but has anyone ever thought about having an oople membership, even if its only 1 or 2 pound a year, its the price of a cup of coffee these days or a double cheesburger, it would help pay for the oople servers and would mean you couldnt sell on here unless your a paying member and sellers addresses would be stored through the paypal payment process and help stop scammers just coming on here to con people out of their money, and i agree with every item your selling should have a pic as some scammers use pics found on the web and the owner may see that pic on here and report it and stop people being scammed
I would have no issues paying a membership fee if it keeps a great forum like Oople going smoothly and as stated it would discourage people just coming on here to scam as they need to pay out money first.
Old 31-12-2017
Mad Member

Let's face it, forums are a dying method of communication with Facebook etc so adding a fee will kill it off even quicker
Old 31-12-2017
Mad Member

Im up for a few quid donstion

also I won't/don't use Facebook maybe im in minority now but I dont like the horror stories associated with it
no offence to anyone who does though

regards dave
Old 31-12-2017

for sale should have photo's, even better with name and date on the photo. photo's need to be hosted on site for short term though as me and several others i know have problems getting them to show, even when resized to be far less than the 400kb limit. make the ads expire and ad plus photo vanish after something like 4 or 6 weeks to reduce the webspace taken up by doing this. i would donate but wouldnt pay a forced subscription, i would just go elsewhere as site interest and content has dropped away a lot in the last year and would be reduced even more by doing this as there are too many other sources available for free online