Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Hot Bodies / HPI

Old 20-04-2007
Administrator

Default D4 Setup Discussion

Sticky thread for discussing setups - try to keep the other thread just for posting setups if you can
Old 07-05-2007

Default Tiverton

Hi Griff55

well done on TQ and win.
Glad you like the car. Nise car to build one of the best I have built.
What set up did you use

Phill T
Old 07-06-2007

is there a spring set out out for the d4 yet?

if not what suspention setup from the box is best for uk outdoor tracks?

ta
dan
Old 07-06-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

hotbodies do some (part numbers in the manual) but no stock at mirage yet
Old 07-06-2007

I have been using the kit springs, they seem ok on most types of track, but could do with some stiffer ones in some conditions
Old 07-06-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
hotbodies do some (part numbers in the manual) but no stock at mirage yet
Mark, I had two sets of optional springs arrive last week, pink & white (actually they are still black but with a dob of paint on one end) and I shall be trying the pink ones this weekend.
At our last meeting, my first with the D4, I found the kit springs were fine on our track which is outdoors. I'm going to try the pink springs first as this is what was suggested by Mr Trueman Snr. I believe? in another thread.
I also got the optional rear uprights and toe in blocks so I'll have a fiddle with those as well. I've fitted the 0.5 uprights to start with and the 2.5 mm toe block to keep an overall 3 deg. rear toe.
Old 08-06-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramey View Post
Mark, I had two sets of optional springs arrive with my rear uprights and toe blocks last week, white & pink (actually they're still black but with a dob of paint on one end).
I found the kit springs worked pretty well on our track, which is outdoors, using 30 wt oil all round. I started with fairly light oil as I didn't want to over damp the springs.
You may be able to get more out of the car with different springs, I'm going to try the pink ones this Sunday weather permitting, and oil etc. but as a starting point I found this set up worked well outdoors.
yup out of stock for hubs and springs
Old 06-07-2007

Default Blank Setup sheets - English only

Hi

Where can you download the new Blank setup sheet?
There are several setups on the new sheet - but I cannot find a Blank.
These new sheets look "cleaner" being in English only.

Thanks Jeff
Old 23-07-2007

Anyone got a good base setup for grass tracks yet??
Old 03-08-2007

I need to calm down the rear end a bit, its kicking out a bit too much. Too much steering making it twitchy. From a out the box setting (apart from removing roll bar) , which should i adjust first, front or rear? Dont have much time for messing with it to much so thought id try and get some advice beforehand. Im guessing lenghing the rear camber links as a start, or should i be messing with suspention links on the tower/wishbone?

this is for outdoor grass tracks

any advice appreciated
ta
Old 03-08-2007

I run mine with 0 camber/ 1 deg. toe out at the front, 2.5 deg. toe in and -2 deg. camber at the back, HB Pink springs and 40 (F) / 35 (R) oil. Rear shocks 2nd hole in (working form the outside of the car) top & bottom, 2nd hole in top and outer hole on wishbone at the front.
To a good driver this probably sounds complete pants but it works o.k. for me running on an outdoor grass track. Ballistic Buggy green mini spikes or yellows if completely dry.
Old 03-08-2007

ok ta, some things to try there, although i aint got my option springs yet

cheers
Old 14-09-2007

hi, so any addvice for a starting point for the coventry f3's this weekend?
havnt a clue what the track is like.
any advice appreciated

ta
Old 10-02-2008

I built mine this week and raced last night... I had nothing but problems with mine... This kit overall to build was somewhat of a pain... I've been racing over eight years and im a sponssored driver (not by hot bodies)....
What is everyone doing about the constant drive shaft pins backing out and falling off?

and

I don't know where to go as far as setup, it needs alot more steering in general, and feels nowhere as good as a B44... I'm running on a high traction tight indoor 40wt in front and 30wt in rear...
Old 10-02-2008
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryantothec View Post
I built mine this week and raced last night... I had nothing but problems with mine... This kit overall to build was somewhat of a pain... I've been racing over eight years and im a sponssored driver (not by hot bodies)....
What is everyone doing about the constant drive shaft pins backing out and falling off?

and

I don't know where to go as far as setup, it needs alot more steering in general, and feels nowhere as good as a B44... I'm running on a high traction tight indoor 40wt in front and 30wt in rear...
My opinion is the toatl opposite

The kit was a joy to build, no problems at all.

I did grind flats onto the driveshaft pins for the grub scews to tighten onto, but I do that on any car. I also put heat shrink round the joint once done.

Set-up wise, IMHO the car has heaps of steering.

What surface are you running on, and what is your full set-up? Maybe we can help.

G
Old 10-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

All I can do is echo northy's points on this one.

ok I'm sponsored by mirage BUT...I built the car last year before my sponsorship. It was easy to build, no problems at all.
I didn't file a flat onto the pins but I've threadlocked the grubs and not covered the driveshafts, and have had no problems at all with the pins falling out? and since they've not come out I've not touched them since so as not to alter anything and risk them coming out due to changing something.

Hanlding wise, Mines allways seemed to have plenty of steering on grp's and schumi yellows, 30wt rear and 35wt front. and that was with the kit springs.
Could try a one-way?
Old 10-02-2008

Quote:

and

never!!

mine was spot on try silver losi front and red rear springs

i did not grind flats in pins but did heat shrink the CVD, built spot on!
where did u struggle?
Old 10-02-2008

Alot of the holes did not line upon a few of the main chassis parts...
i think i'll try 35 in the front... I'm considering going over to B44 shocks and axles all around......

Tight indoor, high traction, moist is what im running on... with losi pink tapers all round... with kit springs...
The time that it was running it struggled steering comparing it to a basic setup B44... and the rear seemed to want to come out when on power steering ... either no steering or too much it seemed... however i had the rear sway off. how much is the front one-way doing for everyone?
Old 10-02-2008

Send a message via AIM to Adam Skelding Send a message via MSN to Adam Skelding Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Skelding Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Skelding

Quote:
Alot of the holes did not line upon a few of the main chassis parts...
i think i'll try 35 in the front... I'm considering going over to B44 shocks and axles all around......

Tight indoor, high traction, moist is what im running on... with losi pink tapers all round... with kit springs...
The time that it was running it struggled steering comparing it to a basic setup B44... and the rear seemed to want to come out when on power steering ... either no steering or too much it seemed... however i had the rear sway off. how much is the front one-way doing for everyone?
If you could send pics of these holes that don't line up that would be good. We've had zero complaints about the kit build up in the area you are suggesting.

As for drive pins, I've never had a problem with them and I don't file a slot.. Good threadlock is the key here. Loctite 242 is my favorite flavour... It holds, but you can still get them out if need be.

If your on Taper Pins, try my set up from Hot Rod Hobbies. It's on the HB website under D4 > setups.