Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
FERRETTI's Avatar
FERRETTI FERRETTI is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North East England
Posts: 265
Default Older Brushless ESC With New Motors

Hello all,

Bit of a born again question as itís been a while since I spent any money on new electronics so my question is this:-

Will my LRP Sphere TC spec run new brushless sensored motors and will the sensor connection be the same?

Thank you.
__________________
If you're living within your means you don't have enough imagination.

Here's my TC showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Whiskers's Avatar
Whiskers Whiskers is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Radcliffe
Posts: 801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRETTI View Post
Hello all,

Bit of a born again question as itís been a while since I spent any money on new electronics so my question is this:-

Will my LRP Sphere TC spec run new brushless sensored motors and will the sensor connection be the same?

Thank you.
It will be fine, as long as the motor is within the turn limit of the speed controller. I just started racing again this year actually and I'm still running my Sphere TC Spec too
__________________
Team Associated B44FT ~ LRP SXX TC Spec ~ LRP Vector X12 6.5t ~ Savox SC-1251MG ~ Spektrum DX3S
Schumacher Cougar SV Pro ~ LRP Sphere TC Spec ~ Losi Xcelorin 6.5t ~ Savox SC-1257 ~ Spektrum SR3100 ~ Spektrum DX3S

In progress: Team Durango DEX410 V1-V4 hybrid ~ DESC410V2 ~ DEX210
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
FERRETTI's Avatar
FERRETTI FERRETTI is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North East England
Posts: 265
Default

Thatís great, I think they have a motor limit of around 3-4, I have a brain to finger limit of 21.5

Apparently all sensor leads are industry standard due to ROAR regulations, well done governing body
__________________
If you're living within your means you don't have enough imagination.

Here's my TC showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028

Last edited by FERRETTI; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
terry.sc's Avatar
terry.sc terry.sc is online now
Mad Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stockport
Posts: 1,412
Default

Also be aware that modern brushless motors are considerably more powerful than the motors from the time of this ESC. I have new 17.5T motors that are faster and draw more power than my old 10.5T motors.
__________________
Visit my showroom
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
FERRETTI's Avatar
FERRETTI FERRETTI is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North East England
Posts: 265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
Also be aware that modern brushless motors are considerably more powerful than the motors from the time of this ESC. I have new 17.5T motors that are faster and draw more power than my old 10.5T motors.
Thatís good information Terry, thank you.

I was considering a new 10.5 for a couple of vintage YZ10s in which I was previously running 7.5, whatís your thoughts?

So whatís the big step change? Iím a bit ignorant on electricary I thought the big step was brushless, Iím surprised to hear there has been such a technological advance.
__________________
If you're living within your means you don't have enough imagination.

Here's my TC showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
NeilRalph77's Avatar
NeilRalph77 NeilRalph77 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: LV-426
Posts: 753
Default

I'm running a nosram matrix evolution with a modern 10.5 with the timing cranked up and it loves it, doesn't get hot or anything I'd actually argue that it's less restrictive because there's no bells and whistles, though boost would be a advantage all that can timing can make it a bit lively.
__________________
Cougar 2 team----X6^----DEX210 V1
TLR22 3.4----TLR22 4.0----TLR22t 4.0
TLR22 5.0AC----TLR22 5.0DC
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
terry.sc's Avatar
terry.sc terry.sc is online now
Mad Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stockport
Posts: 1,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRETTI View Post
I was considering a new 10.5 for a couple of vintage YZ10s in which I was previously running 7.5, whatís your thoughts?
A modern 10.5 would probably match and old 8.5T, and you will find most vintage racers will use a 10.5 as adding more power than that to vintage chassis harms performance.

Motor technology has evolved just like brushed motors evolved over time, just that motors are now made by large companies with large development budgets. Magnets are better, the manufacturers have developed the materials and production techniques for the stators.
When Hobbywing states that their latest motor has 6.5% higher kv and 13.3% higher torque by reducing the internal resistance of the windings compared to their previous motor which came out just a year before, imagine how much of an improvement has happened since the early days of brushless.
__________________
Visit my showroom
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
FERRETTI's Avatar
FERRETTI FERRETTI is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North East England
Posts: 265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
A modern 10.5 would probably match and old 8.5T, and you will find most vintage racers will use a 10.5 as adding more power than that to vintage chassis harms performance.

Motor technology has evolved just like brushed motors evolved over time, just that motors are now made by large companies with large development budgets. Magnets are better, the manufacturers have developed the materials and production techniques for the stators.
When Hobbywing states that their latest motor has 6.5% higher kv and 13.3% higher torque by reducing the internal resistance of the windings compared to their previous motor which came out just a year before, imagine how much of an improvement has happened since the early days of brushless.
Thank you Terry, again great information
__________________
If you're living within your means you don't have enough imagination.

Here's my TC showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
oOple.com