Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 06-11-2010
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram
Default How to prevent cogging

Never experienced this problem before. Im running micros for the winter and currently have an EZrun 18amp esc fitted, and have a 6800 motor ive imported which ran fine last week.
Unfortuantly i blew my esc last week by connecting it up wrong (less than a second of contact) ive now replaced it with like for like as it worked great.

Now im experiencing a slight cogging issue with the motor, it ran run fine for a moment, then the next when I try to put the power down, moving or when at half speed itl cog, then shoot off.

I have an EZrun 18t motor which ive fitted to see if it helps, and that motor works fine, very smooth, just not as much speed due to the wind difference.

Now is there anything I can do to get rid of the cogging with the other motor? i've inspected it and it is clean ( its only a meeting old ) free and nothing visually wrong.
Old 06-11-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Don't know the esc, but is there different firmwares or profiles?
Old 06-11-2010

sounds to me like you have blown the sensor plate in the motor my son did the same thing motor cogged like buggery after .the sensor plate is made up of very small transitors caps n other electroinc wizardery all very small even in a 1/10th motor id hate to see how small they are in a micro . id sugest borrowing a motor from some one and trying it to see if it goes away
trakpower
Old 06-11-2010

ezrun is sensorless. the higher kv of motor and the harder the gearing the more likely you are to get cogging. i would expect gearing to be very low for something like a 6800 so is it overgeared?? i run ezrun 35a with 13 turn motor (3000kv) at club and it cogs mildly on low throttle now i am on 27T pinion in my fk05 on a 25 tooth pinion there is no cogging at all.
Old 06-11-2010
Supah doOpah

You dont get software updates for the ezruns I think?
Not sure on the gearing side, I have an 11 tooth pinion on a 45 spur, not overly sure what the gear ratio is on a shark, however the gearing didn't seem to hamper the heat too much.

Would you say try a lower pinion and go from there?
Old 07-11-2010

Send a message via MSN to metalmickey0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRotheram View Post
You dont get software updates for the ezruns I think?
Not sure on the gearing side, I have an 11 tooth pinion on a 45 spur, not overly sure what the gear ratio is on a shark, however the gearing didn't seem to hamper the heat too much.

Would you say try a lower pinion and go from there?
Yes you do as i`ve got one on my ezrun and 5200kv motor. I dont get much cogging with my setup. As i got the Pro Box to connect it together with my pc, i`ve downloaded the recent update. Had to setup my esc again but all works perfectly now.
Old 07-11-2010

Send a message via Skype™ to Timee80

Try dropping a tooth on the pinion and also try a more powerful battery.
Old 07-11-2010

Default lipo

On nimh batteries, 1/18 brushless systems cog like holey moley, as suggested try good lipo, or your gearing.
Are there programming options on the esc, like timing and starting power mentioned in the manual? these may be worth a try also.
Old 07-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi Paul, have you defintely got it setup as forward only? They can cog when setup as forward/reverse but mines been perfect in fwd only mode
Old 07-11-2010
Supah doOpah

To answer a few responses, I'm running vampire 1800 hardcase lipo, think I'll struggle for anything more powerful than that in a micro, so I'll rule the battery out.
The esc is set up on punch setting 3, and timing setting 2. I ran my ezrun motor ( 18t ) today and no coggig occured at all, so I'm going to assume it's to do with the motor?