Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 29-04-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Should be no problems at all to get the parts you need. I have a couple of sets spare (I don't like not being prepared) but have yet to break them even in some moster impacts in testing.

Parts came via DC Racing.
Old 10-05-2008

Default Broken Hub and carrier again! Twice!!

Well took the SP out to it's second meeting tonight. Broke The hub and carrier once again. This time I had a spare with me. However the following race, I was in a collision at the end of the straight and had it break again, along with a lower wishbone.
I genuinely think this might be a weak point on the car, although anything would have broken with the last collision.
I hope there will be alloy hop-up parts available sometime soon.
Old 12-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Can you please post a pic of the broken part..... I am struggling to work out where you are breaking this.

I proved at the weekend that the car is near bullet proof, I'm sure we can cure your problem with a little more info!!
Old 12-05-2008

Send a message via ICQ to Scouser

I am quite interested to see what it is myself. I haven't done the SP conversion yet but I would have thought the new hub arrangement is much stronger than the old knuckle and c-hub set up. If you are breaking the new hubs aswell then maybe the strength isn't as improved as i thought!
On a little side note, I am currently running the 10 degree c-hubs on my Lazer but does anyone know the equivalent angle on the SP? I am just trying to work out what the characteristic changes will be before I do the switch.
Old 12-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The options with the SP for castor are 10 and 7 deg.

Anybody who saw the way I was attacking the tripple at Oswestry will tell you I wasn't feeling the need to nurse the car at all ..... the SP is near built proof.

In the whole time I have been running the ZX5-SP I have only broken 2 front tower mounts (one of which was the earlier weaker type), a front tower and a shock top!!! The original SP tower mount, the tower and the shock top were due to a full speed head to head crash which would have (and did for the other car inquestion) destroy the whole front end ...... the front hub assemblies have not suffered at all even in that crash.
Old 13-05-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM View Post
Can you please post a pic of the broken part..... I am struggling to work out where you are breaking this.

I proved at the weekend that the car is near bullet proof, I'm sure we can cure your problem with a little more info!!
Here's a pic of the damage.

Although it sickens me to consider AE parts on my Kyosho, apparently B44 arms, hubs and carriers will fit onto the ZX-5 SP without much modification, while retaining the geometry. I am trying to find out if this requires a change to AE CVD's and wheels though. If anyone has further details please post!
Since Everyone is sold out of these parts (LA254), I suspect that I'm not the only one breaking them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zx5sphubcarrierbreakage.jpg (33.5 KB, 60 views)
Old 13-05-2008
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultima View Post
Since Everyone is sold out of these parts (LA254), I suspect that I'm not the only one breaking them.
Or no-one else is breaking them...
Other than a chassis (!!) my zx5 has been superbly unbreakable
Old 13-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

At the risk of sounding rude how the hell are you breaking them like that? Surely the knuckle would break first. Looking at the damage the only thing I can think of is the car landing heavily on the face of the wheel ..... not sure how that would come about though.
It looks like the whole load has gone into forcing the lower part of the hub inboard towards the centre line of the car. That's just a plain odd landing.

Can you please describe how it actually happens, the accidents that is?

I have a few sets of those parts spare as I stocked up on all suspension parts with my first ZX5-SP and have used nothing much to date as I've said, if you get really stuck then I'd post a set out to you.

As for the AE stuff I believe that you do have to use the AE bearings and axles ... might be able to modify the drive hexs so you don't have to use AE wheels too though.
Old 13-05-2008
Mad Member

Although I managed to break a 7° caster hub carrier and a hub, I am pretty sure that it is NOT the fault of the part. The car had a very tough impact and the steering was under tension - something had to give way - definately not my super rugged Futaba BLS 451 Servo. I wonder if I will ever break these parts again. If so, I hope it will be the LEFT side next time...

To confirm another thing I once asked in the forum: The Cyclone D4 wheels are a perfect fit. With the yellow wheels mounted, the car looks at least 20 kph faster ;-)
One definite advantage seems to be the absence of the groove on the rear wheel, no place left to catch dirt...
Old 13-05-2008

After re reading my posts I realise that it might sound like I am being a little negative about the car. I am VERY happy with the car! It handles superbly and takes the jumps better I think than any of the other cars at my track.
The track is indoor, carpet and quite bumpy, while the parts in question are 1st gen SP parts, and I've seen how Kyosho had been very active in strengthening any flaws with the ZX-5.
Anyhow, the 1st one (Right) I broke was from taking off one of the jumps fast, but crooked, resulting in the car landing on top of the PVC track edge - so no sideways force.
The second one (Left), after obtaining spares during the week (cheap spares BTW)was from glancing off the wall at the end of the straight - significant shearing forces going on with that one I think, but still was a bit surprised to see it break (rather than an arm).
The third (in the photo) was from traction rolling at the end of the straight, and then being hit full-on by a B44. Both cars broke the front and I think any car would not have survived that one.
Unfortunately it's about a month delay now for the part (perhaps they are already in process of re-moulding or something), so I am looking for a temporary fix so I don't miss the next meeting. I posted a fairly quick lap time despite having not raced for 20 odd years, so I am very happy performance-wise.
Old 23-05-2008

Quote:
... as I've said, if you get really stuck then I'd post a set out to you.

Thanks for the offer, Roger - I appreciate it mate. However I am going to soldier on racing tomorrow with a superglued set.
I have confidence that Kyosho will be looking at this and making it stronger than ever!

Cheers.
Old 09-06-2008

Send a message via ICQ to ThePromise

Quote:
In the whole time I have been running the ZX5-SP I have only broken 2 front tower mounts (one of which was the earlier weaker type)
Hello,

which parts are the former "weaker" ones and which are the newer and stronger ones? Any part numbers? And another question: What ist the inner gear ratio of the ZX-5 SP?

Thanky and best regards from Germany,
Chris