Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 08-12-2008
Mad Member

Default One way Diff

Does it make any difference if you run the one way diff with the roller locked or unlocked?
Somebody has spoke to me about this before but i cant remember.
Old 08-12-2008
Super Moderator

In theory no, but some people think with both you get even more turn in as more free-wheel effect......

So.....

Maybe

G
Old 08-12-2008
Mad Member

running a centre one way as well as front will give the car more mid corner steering as there is less inertia from the drive train to push the car into understeer.
Old 09-12-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I don't understand it, there is no difference in the amount of drive achieved whether the one way layshaft is locked or unlocked whilst the one way diff is in. Hence id say it doesn't matter.

I run mine with a one way layshaft unpinned, and the one way diff. Love it. Will be running it everywhere like this.

Surely the inertia effect is minimal and impossible to feel any difference. Would be interesting to do some back to back runs myself and see - would have to be on my own somewhere though, as at a race meeting the track can change a lot from 1 round to the next due to heat and clearing of dust from the racing line.

Chris
Old 09-12-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I've tried it with the oneway layshaft pinned and unpinned with the oneway diff and didn't notice any difference. IMO
Old 09-12-2008
Mad Member

ok i think a lot of it depends on where the center one way is situated and how heavy the parts that are in front of it are on the car for example if the centre one way is on the spur gear lay shaft you WILL get more inertia from the pully belt front one way unit if the centre one way is at the front of the front prop shaft you will only get inertia from the centre one way input shaft and the front one way as for handiling it WILL only affect the non powerd input though the mid part of a corner ie when you are using no throttle or brakes (free rolling) does this make the effect of centre one way any clearer.

Stu rand

3x Carpet wars Champion
2x Corally STCC Champion 2007/2008
Old 09-12-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
I don't understand it, there is no difference in the amount of drive achieved whether the one way layshaft is locked or unlocked whilst the one way diff is in. Hence id say it doesn't matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post

Chris
that is correct there is no diffrence in the amount of drive only mid corner steering when NO drive is being applied.
Old 10-12-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
[B]

that is correct there is no diffrence in the amount of drive only mid corner steering when NO drive is being applied.
Thanks, now I understand why I won't feel any difference - as for me when no throttle is applied its usually because I am braking hard to pivot before I get on the gas again.