Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 29-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimaFan View Post
I don't know much detail about Tamiya cars, so I wasn't expecting these cars to have stayed about the same over such a long period of time. I mean, the Top Force is 1991, that's over 20 years between it and the Blazing Star.

Don't get me wrong, it's an interesting project to see a modern car to be fitted with a vintage shell, and some other vintage bits, but somehow it doesn't feel fully vintage to me. But that's just my initial thought, and I know I myself have also considered making a modern car look vintage, like fitting an old shell, or use a signature boxart paintjob on a new shell, so I'm not judging. Having fun with the hobby is what matters most.

Looking forward to more updates.
It's vintage. Could have been a manta ray with blazing upgrades. Would consider it more of a re-release. So a boomerang will still qualify for vintage even tho it was re-released recently.

Last edited by fakiee; 29-07-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-08-2015
Mad Member

Righty ho. I'm not entirely sure how some of you are viewing this build. It's half Manta Ray, half Top Force, which incidentally, only came with a rear ball diff too didn't it? Please confirm.

Also contains a few parts I've made myself.

Anyway, with no testing, and straight off the bench, tomorrow will be the day of truth as to whether it's works OK and provides me with a bit of relaxed fun. OR, is just hassle as the anoraks give me daggers for using yellow shocks and a top force shell on the same car or because I have the wrong wing or something.
SWorkz S12-2

Instagram: crazylthirteen
Blogger: http://the-croucher.blogspot.co.uk/
Old 31-08-2015
Mad Member

OK, See how my Iconic Revival went in my other thread.

Meanwhile, After such a good day, I've spent some money on it. Many thanks to Stephen at Fibre-Lyte, for has provided me with a rear shock tower and I managed to get another ball diff for the meager sum of £20.

I also have plans for the odd part to make....

......which brings me to mention I still have two CNC'd Centre braces up for sale at £26.80 inc' postage. I made a batch of 5 and 3 have been sold already.

Once they're gone....they're gone (unless I get asked for a few more)
SWorkz S12-2

Instagram: crazylthirteen
Blogger: http://the-croucher.blogspot.co.uk/
Old 31-08-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Well this thread prompted me to get a Manta Ray as my vintage car to replace my now common as much RC10.
So far mines a standard Manta with a GPM driveshaft, motor mount and front tower.

Reading this I need your rear brace and some standoffs in order to fit my existing gearbox to a Top Force chassis?

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 31-08-2015

Awesome build. I was considering doing the same but picked up a top force from ebay listed as a manta ray hopped up. It wasn't, it was a full top force with hi cap dampers and one way shaft. Only £60 too!!! It was missing the battery holders so, like yourself, I made my own at work (on a lathe). I really like your holders. Being busy, I had to make some very simple ones. I too hope to run it at an iconic rc meet when finished. Ive fitted a 17.5t brushless motor combo with 2s lipos.

Neil