Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > REAL 1:1 Cars

Old 17-03-2011
#1 ZX5 fan

Default Mk4 golfs

I’ve been offered a mates year 2000 mk4 golf, 2.0L non GTI, 95k miles, 6 month MOT, no tax, serviced well, generally good condition on the cheap (very cheap). The water pump has gone and he suspects the head gasket might need doing too. Obviously this is quite possibly worth taking on but what are peoples experiences like with them?

I was looking round for a cheap diesel but this is so cheap (it’s almost free) that the loss in economy is worth taking on. I’d appreciate anyone’s experiences with what MPG they get/got, it’s the 8V 115bhp engine (I assume).

Dan

Nortech is ACE!
Old 17-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

In my honest opinion...

The 2.0 8v is a very poor engine for the mk4. it's practically the same engine carried over from the mk3 GTI (but obviously the mk4 gained a few kilo's over the mk3). I think VAG badged the 2.0 as a GTI... If it's a free car that just needs a small bit of work then great.

I can't remember if the water pump on that engine is driven off the cambelt or the aux belt though. If it's off the cambelt that should be done at the same time. if it's off the aux belt it'll be a doddle to do.

Head gasket is simple enough to do on that engine too.

TDI golfs seem to hold their money really well. I drive a '98 mk4 TDI (110bhp) which I've owned for just over 3 years and I love it to bits. The engine has never let me down and it's now clocked up 260k. Doesn't smoke at all even when you hammer it. I get 550-600 miles off a tank of fuel.

If the car is near free and can be make useable for £200 then use it and keep looking for a TDI. You can always move it on later then
Old 17-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

As G said it's a little under powered for the Mk4 as she is a heavy old beast! The motor itself is very strong and reliable and also easy and cheap to work on.

The GTi badge was added by VAG UK so those who's insurance companies laugh at them when the mention the dirty "turbo" word could still drive a "GTi" ... or at least look like they do in the car park.

The combination in the Mk4 is only really good for cruising about at a gentle pace but it make a decent job of doing that, in fact many would say it's better than the 1.8 20v NA lump it was replaced with.
Old 17-03-2011
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Regardless of the VW badge, it's an 11 year old car that doesn't run. Send it to the scrap yard!
Old 17-03-2011
#1 ZX5 fan

That's interesting Col, I don't consider 11 years that old for a modern ish car. Certainly without issue it's worth the best part of £1800 I reckon and so I'd hope to come out £1k better off equity wise.

ANyone any idea on MPG, I have a nice low mileage 2003 1.6 16V Pug 307 which I assumed would be good on fuel but it's not particularly. Graham (Hunter) suggested the engine was too small for the weight and hence revving it harder, thus was thinking a torquey 2.0L wouldn't be any worse on gas perhaps.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 17-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Look in www.autotrader.co.uk for the same model that will give you perforance, mpg and owners reviews
Old 17-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Dan, i've owned one for 7 years and JUST sold it with 96k miles on (it had 11k when we got it)!

Averages 30mpg all day long, slightly more if you're careful.

Slow indeed maybe sluggish is a fairer word though, but comfortable, good on a motorway at cruising (34-35mpg) and will sit at 80mph very nicely.

Water pump should be replaced as the original had a plastic impella (sp?) but was replaced with an upgraded Metal one - This was a known problem and mine was done under Warranty when the car was just 2 years old but it shouldn't be a massive job.

Cambelt change is pretty simple, £150 at my local garage (not VW dealer).

Look out for the Engine Management light being on, it's a VERY common issue as the Cat is part of the flexi pipe at the front so when that starts to go you have to replace the whole thing including the Cat which is about £450 all in for a genuine VW part. I had 2 non-vw ones and after 2 weeks each time the engine management light would come on again which drove me mad so i ended up getting them to give me my money back and fit a genuine VW part which sorted the issues.

Rear bushes wear around 80k miles, best replaced with the Skoda Fabia ones - far better design and should last forever then (just about).

Brakes i replaced twice, bang on 40k and bang on 80k, around £120 all in for all new Discs and Pads from Eurocarparts or GS+F.

The 2.0l 8V is known to drink around 1L of oil between 10k services but mine was well looked after, always run on decent fully synth oil and never had an issue - maybe 500ml top up after 8k miles just to get it through to the next service.

Over all it's a good car, never going to set the world on fire but even after 96k miles it still drove and felt as good as it did at 30k.

Obviously i spent money on it to keep it in good condition but i really can't fault it for the time we owned it, and people LOVE VW Golf's so will always be someone out there willing to pay for it!

I sold mine for £2850 which i think was fair.

Let me know if you have any more questions on it but hopefully that gives you a good starting point.

Some pics of mine here:

http://www.detailmycar.co.uk/Lightbo...W+Golf+Mk4+GTI
Old 17-03-2011
#1 ZX5 fan

So turned out to be a GTI and was in generally very good condition, almost unmarked exterior and better than I would expect for a 95k interior bar a clean. Bad new is that from the oil filler cap the head has defo gone as it was FULL of mayonaise.

Went for a very brief drive round the block and it drove absolutley fine so need to decide it it worth the time/hassle and expense of the head.

Jim...................?

Nortech is ACE!
Old 17-03-2011
#1 ZX5 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgit View Post
Look in www.autotrader.co.uk for the same model that will give you perforance, mpg and owners reviews
Trader gives manufacturer claimed performance and mpg which I now know from my pug is bollox.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 17-03-2011
BANNED

Dan,

Carrie's Polo's oil filler is always covered in brown-mayo, but when you dip the oil it's clean.

It's been that way since brand new.

It's just because it bods round town all the time and I dont think the VAG engines breate very well. My MK2 GTI does the same, the rocker breather clogs with the stuff. The MK4 has essentially the same engine.

Stu
SP12/RC10/XLS/JRX-2/XX/XXCR/XXCR-KE/XXX/XXXBK2/CR2/Xpro/B4/XX4/XXX4/X5/X11/DEX410/DEX210/DNX408/8ight/VW Golf GTI MK2/VW Golf TDI Wagon/Ovlov V70 D5/VW Beetle II (registered to Carrie)/Bailey Ranger/(does anyone read this bullshit?)/Creda Tumble2/HotPoint FE800/BOSCH SGS45C02GB/Dyson DC04/new patio doors & windows/freshly painted bannister rail & skirting boards, baby.
Old 17-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Good point .... Sarah's Polo was bought cheap with a blown head gasket ... did a few checks and it's all good just never been hot in it's life. A good flush and service and now it's a loverly runner ... only part I vought was a rocker box gasket and I didn't really need that!
Old 17-03-2011
#1 ZX5 fan

Like this bad?

I did start it and run it and it sounded and drove fine

Nortech is ACE!
Old 17-03-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via Yahoo to matdodd

If its running fine Dan give it a flush through & change the oil & filter.
Then just keep an eye on it, theres a good chance it will be fine
Old 17-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Not going to offer any engine advice but sounds a little pricey.

I gave £1700 for my Mk5 TDi, though it's far from prestine.

I'd want to be paying less that £1500 for a car with known issues.

Mate of mine used to have a 2.0 8v Mk4 Cabby and could never quite make 40mpg on a run. I seem to remember it normally in the low 30s average.
Old 18-03-2011
#1 ZX5 fan

Sorry, to confirm it's £200 but I thought with a good clean and engine issues solved it would be worth £1800, possibly that's a shade optimistic. I may very well not bother with the hassle but it seems a shame a car in otherwise excellent consition might end up being cubed, it's this kind of car I got really annoyed with the scrapage scheme for.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 18-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Was my post invisible??

Thought that would all be useful info on MPG etc but doesn't seem it.

The Mayo on the cap is standard on that car, if left for a week or two condensation gathers which is what causes the white stuff, nothing to worry about
Old 18-03-2011
#1 ZX5 fan

Nick,

I should have thanked you for your thorough post, I read it on my phone but hate replying on it and forgot.

However I've taken your MPG advice as red, not sure why you'd think otherwise other than pointing out you can only take the trader values as manufacturers values which can be very different from reality.

If I had a garage I'd have it like a shot.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 18-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by super__dan View Post
Nick,

I should have thanked you for your thorough post, I read it on my phone but hate replying on it and forgot.

However I've taken your MPG advice as red, not sure why you'd think otherwise other than pointing out you can only take the trader values as manufacturers values which can be very different from reality.

If I had a garage I'd have it like a shot.
No worries Dan, just didn't know if you'd seen the post

For £200 you HAVE to buy it lol. Even if you just get the water pump done and sell it for £1k, i can't see you having a problem really??? It should be an easy sell - I had shed loads of interest in mine and could have sold it 5 times over easily!!
Old 18-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

a mk4 for £1000 will sell before the end of the day!
Old 18-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Beeping hell, at that money if you don't have it let me know where it is and I'll come and get ASAP!