Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Faversham Off Road Car Club

Old 03-04-2011

Default useless full spikes and a new surface to race on..

I no its not just me that gets annoyed with haven to spend loads of time getting my full spikes to wear down and then when they are ready only lasting a few weeks before i need to start a new set again when after visiting outher in door tracks it seems obvious to have carpet we can lay down the lenth of the hull and leave the shiny floor for an added challange rather than trying to get the cars to work the other way round with shiny floor and then some carpet on the jumps we would all so save money on tyers as they last so much longer on carpet and can be run till there bold i no the carpet would cost money to start with but id rather donate money for some carpet then have to spend more money on tyers each time just thought id put this up to see if people agree or are happy the way it is thanks.........
Old 03-04-2011
Mad Member

Many years ago the club invested in enough Primafelt to carpet the whole hall each week. There's still odd pieces of it laying about under the stage I think......

Back then we used to run 13 week leagues, and there was call for the club to try something different to the regular slippery floor.

After 2 leagues the unanimous verdict was that racing on carpet was boring and could we go back to the slippery stuff.......it seemed too much like touring car racing. Having said that - that was back then - if the club wanted to try something different "again" I'm sure it would be given consideration.

How about another idea - how about a harder control tyre? Would save on wear, would slow everyone down as the grip available would be reduced, and would probably also do away with the current trend of super boosted ESC's.

Just a thought.......
Old 03-04-2011

Why not just say all esc's to be run stock, no boosting
Old 03-04-2011

something else to consider. The choice of tyre for most racers on carpet would probably move to minipins?? we know from maritime that they will last 2 practice runs, 3 qualifiers and 1 final before they are ready for replacement. so that amount of runs equates to just 2 weeks of racing at faversham.......so new tyres every 2 weeks??? that makes it a tad expensive for some of the drivers.
Old 03-04-2011

The thing is maritime's hall is 2-3 times the size of ours so we cant put the power down as much, also at maritime we use modified motors where as at faversham we stay with 13.5t motors so less power.

I also agree with Jamie for carpet.
Old 03-04-2011

with a 13.5 and carpet tyers will last a lot longer im still useing mine from maritime and silverstone with tread on them still.....
Old 03-04-2011

The quality of the full spikes atm seems to be shocking, quite a few of you will say that its because of the amount of timing we now run and just the speeds are far greater than what they used to be so the tyres wear is greater, which is right but we used to get 5 odd months out of a set whilst they were worn in, now we can only get 2 to 3 weeks after 3 weeks of running em in?

I ran one set which i had from when i first started at the club from the 1st round of the winter series, they lasted through to the fourth round inc all the week nights in-between before they were worn out, i ran dads set at the 5th, then i ran a new set in for the last round, they were completely slick the Wednesday after. (And i ran the same, speedo/motor combo on the same advance settings throughout the series)

I've even had a set were the they wore were one side of the tire would be slick and the other would have a good 3/4mm of spike, it was like half the tire was a different compound.

Carpet would be nice, as the tire choice would be much much larger, but obviously this means an extra ten mins laying the carpet down when the track iis built and the original cost of the carpet.
But i agree with Jamie, im a bit fed up of full spikes...