Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 09-06-2018

Smile Beginning for the second time, and need general help in everything

Hello everyone, 20 years ago I used to race a rc10 worlds and as I got older I fell out of love a bit. but having a nephew that asked me to take him to a meet, has reignited an old flame. I took him to a meet at Caldicot racers, and must say some of the nicest people I’ve ever met, welcoming and helpful, generally couldn’t do enough for myself or nephew. So seeing how it’s changed in different receivers, batteries, motors etc. It was a Lot to take in and was wondering if any1 had general help on cars and configuration etc? And other must no info?

I still have my rc10 worlds and was gonna kit that out with the newer tech just to help him on his way.

Thanks
Scott
Old 09-06-2018
Mad Member

If I'm honest keep rc10 worlds for vintage racing
Look for a second hand set up to get your nephew up and running
Lots of bargains to be had around

Regards Dave
Old 09-06-2018

Hi Scott, welcome back

What do you need help with?
Motors batteries and tyres for your rc10 are a lot better today, no more skimming motors and matching batteries

Compositekit.co.uk
Trishbits
Old 09-06-2018
Spends too long on oOple ...

Hi Scott,

If your going to make Caldicot your local track and was mine from 1990-2000 you have some of the most knowledgeable racers in the country who are all apprachable about it and can advise correctly to your needs. I miss racing there a lot. Your old rc10 can be modded with a better slipper to handle brushless and on that track wont be out of place at all.

Cheers

James Instone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott83 View Post
Hello everyone, 20 years ago I used to race a rc10 worlds and as I got older I fell out of love a bit. but having a nephew that asked me to take him to a meet, has reignited an old flame. I took him to a meet at Caldicot racers, and must say some of the nicest people I’ve ever met, welcoming and helpful, generally couldn’t do enough for myself or nephew. So seeing how it’s changed in different receivers, batteries, motors etc. It was a Lot to take in and was wondering if any1 had general help on cars and configuration etc? And other must no info?

I still have my rc10 worlds and was gonna kit that out with the newer tech just to help him on his way.

Thanks
Scott
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 09-06-2018

Thumbs up

Thanks for replies

I need help with a nice set up, to get us going.

I can remember going to meets up oak dale with 7-8 6 cell demon batteries, to find out it’s nothing like that anymore. But where do I start with the kind of battery to buy, probably so many different types of battery to buy would just like some recommendations for them, and best place to buy?

Also we would like to know a decent handset, I’ve always used a toggle but he fancies a trigger handset.

Also the motors I used to run were 15 trebles and 12s, but to find out it’s now 17.5 or 10.5, what’s the difference and also where’s a nice reasonable shop for gear like this

I was thinking of fixing the car I have now up just to see how he gets on for the first couple of weeks,

Is there anywhere that sells 2nd hand set ups just to get us going or, is it better to make it from scratch

Thanks again
Old 09-06-2018

Quote:
Thanks for replies

I need help with a nice set up, to get us going.

I can remember going to meets up oak dale with 7-8 6 cell demon batteries, to find out it’s nothing like that anymore. But where do I start with the kind of battery to buy, probably so many different types of battery to buy would just like some recommendations for them, and best place to buy?

Also we would like to know a decent handset, I’ve always used a toggle but he fancies a trigger handset.

Also the motors I used to run were 15 trebles and 12s, but to find out it’s now 17.5 or 10.5, what’s the difference and also where’s a nice reasonable shop for gear like this

I was thinking of fixing the car I have now up just to see how he gets on for the first couple of weeks,

Is there anywhere that sells 2nd hand set ups just to get us going or, is it better to make it from scratch

Thanks again
Ok its dependant on what your after but you could aim for a 8.5t motor and just turn don the speed so when he gets betterc ou wont need to buy another motor. Orion do a good one, but prcey so always a cheaper variety around like hobbywing, but you need one capable of 5.5 as yes youll never use that wind in a 2wd but the esc will be capable and means more reliable. Lipos most use a shorty pack but are all around the same price range, but you will need a charger for that as well that can balance charge. Oakdale, well you must have seen me there as i was there every week as well.
Answer UK team driver
Old 09-06-2018

Thumbs up

I’m not very good with names but, I’m alright with faces, I used to do oakdale on a Wednesday, cobra st melons on a Friday, and cobra the heath on a Sunday, I bought my rc10 worlds off jody, can’t remember his second name, but he won a few comps with it.

What’s a decent receiver and servo to put in the car, I seriously got my mind blown yesterday at Caldicot of how much has changed.

Caldicot got an outdoor meet tomorrow I’m going down there to see what I can learn.
Thanks
Old 09-06-2018

Jody Denner, yup he turned out to be quite a tidy driver, me I was club champ at Oakdale, Caldicot, Abergavenny, Cobra, Western Super Mare and a few more in 4wd but did sometimes race an RC10 B2 as well.

Ive an LRP Flow works esc and an LRP SXXTC esc if of interest to you. Ive no spare motors or servos either,.

Receiver really needs to be the same as the transmitter so for me i have a sanwa gemini x and the receiver that came with it as you tend to find a 2.4 transmitter will only bind with its own receiver.

Servos, Xpert are great and use in my Sworkz cars futaba are great and reliable

Cheers

James

Quote:
I’m not very good with names but, I’m alright with faces, I used to do oakdale on a Wednesday, cobra st melons on a Friday, and cobra the heath on a Sunday, I bought my rc10 worlds off jody, can’t remember his second name, but he won a few comps with it.

What’s a decent receiver and servo to put in the car, I seriously got my mind blown yesterday at Caldicot of how much has changed.

Caldicot got an outdoor meet tomorrow I’m going down there to see what I can learn.
Thanks
Answer UK team driver

Last edited by Welshy40; 09-06-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-06-2018

Thumbs up

Cheers James, I’ll have a research and do some homework on it, if u don’t mind can I pm u, if I got any questions, I used to go up with tom and Nigel Reardon, another name that rings a bell up there was John tucker.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2018

Jon was the best Welsh driver, only one to win a national, saw my potential and helped me. Really nice bloke. Pm me whenever you want.

Quote:
Cheers James, I’ll have a research and do some homework on it, if u don’t mind can I pm u, if I got any questions, I used to go up with tom and Nigel Reardon, another name that rings a bell up there was John tucker.

Thanks
Answer UK team driver
Old 09-06-2018

Quote:

Thanks
HI Scott, was going to mention this to you. It's a Welsh league meeting so there should be 50 odd entrants atleast. Plenty enough to offer help and advice. Not sure if any will be running their RC10's tomorrow, but there's plenty that do run them regularly and can point you in the right direction.
Old 09-06-2018

That RC10 will still be handy outside on grass. No doubt about it.