Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 22-04-2019

Default Budget (cheap) stick transmitter

I know the whole buy cheap buy twice blah blah blah, but I'd just like people experiences with the likes of the Absima SR2S, Core Code sport, Etronix pulse etc, my boys 6 and it's a see if he gets into it handset, no bells and whistles I don't want a second hand £500 KO or Sanwa, just some thing that if he drops it or walks away I won't be to upset.

Cheers.
----AE B4 ft----Xfactory X6^----DEX210 V1----
----TLR22 3.0----TLR22 4.0----TLR22t 4.0----TLR22 5.0AC----
----AE B6.4----
Old 23-04-2019

I bought an Absima SR2S a few weeks back, not had any issues so far.
Transmitter and receiver were already binded out the box, think it costs me between £30 - £40 from Modelsport.

Been using the transmitter to race, has a 3rd channel on the receiver which is powering my transponder. You can tell it's not in the same league as KoPropo but for the money I really can't complain.
Old 23-04-2019
Mad Member

My lads use the core (not sport) and etronix ones. Both are basically the same transmitter and haven't missed a beat.
Old 24-04-2019
Mad Member

Have you considered the budget Futaba 2HR? £50 new for a reliable FHSS system.
Old 24-04-2019

I hadn't seen one so no, as long as it has trim and epa I'm sure it's a contender.
----AE B4 ft----Xfactory X6^----DEX210 V1----
----TLR22 3.0----TLR22 4.0----TLR22t 4.0----TLR22 5.0AC----
----AE B6.4----
Old 24-04-2019
Mad Member

Does the core sport only have 2 channels meaning you couldn't plug a transponder in?
Old 25-04-2019
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilRalph77 View Post
I hadn't seen one so no, as long as it has trim and epa I'm sure it's a contender.

Yup - got those - defintely preferable to the Core radios as it's far more reliable.
Old 25-04-2019
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilRalph77 View Post
I know the whole buy cheap buy twice blah blah blah, but I'd just like people experiences with the likes of the Absima SR2S, Core Code sport, Etronix pulse etc, my boys 6 and it's a see if he gets into it handset, no bells and whistles I don't want a second hand £500 KO or Sanwa, just some thing that if he drops it or walks away I won't be to upset.

Cheers.

Hi
I completely understand your thoughts on budget and not worrying if he drops it etc, however My kids started aged 6 & 8 with a cheap spektrum wheel, the day they were given a sanwa, their laptimes improved immediately. I strongly feel that the radio gear is one of the most important bits of your kit. Poor transmitters can also completely spoil your experience of racing. Personnaly I would spend once and buy something good, then buy a simple neck strap so it can't drop.

My 2p worth
Old 27-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz75 View Post
Does the core sport only have 2 channels meaning you couldn't plug a transponder in?
The receiver has enough ports to take a transponder as well as the servo and speed controller.
Old 27-04-2019

I understand the thought... but..

My opinion would be to give them something half decent

Firstly more reliable and will give them better control

Also with neckstrap fitted its unlikely to get dropped and they more likely to take greater care if its bit posher

A 3vc or 3vcs can be had for 65 to 90 odd quid with either frsky or orange receivers to keep costs down.

And if you decide to upgrade later. You wont lose money on it.

My 3vcs has just been replaced by a 7xc
After 17 years of loyal service.

Dont get that kind of value for money on any other rc item
RC10B74 Maclan powered

#rcoctane
#teamrcoctane
Old 03-05-2019
Mad Member

I've tried a few of the cheap radios, including code, and though you may not realise it, it makes driving the car very difficult and as a previous poster had touched on, ruins the whole experience of the sport. The main problem is the delay in the response of the car. Inputs take a lot longer to be received, I'm not sure if this is evident on the pit table, but it is on the track. It became frustrating ad you would have to correct for the delay, often resulting in a car weaving, or accelerating or braking at the wrong places within the corner. I really believe these cheap radios are a reason many newcomers become frustrated and bail out on the hobby. I do believe it's the one piece of equipment that needs proper investment, and coming from a club and region that is seeing huge increases in numbers, this is one piece of advice we give to new comers.

Last edited by chrispattinson; 03-05-2019 at 04:32 AM.
Old 03-05-2019
Mad Member

Default Cost V Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispattinson View Post
I've tried a few of the cheap radios, including code, and though you may not realise it, it makes driving the car very difficult and as a previous poster had touched on, ruins the whole experience of the sport. The main problem is the delay in the response of the car. Inputs take a lot longer to be received, I'm not sure if this is evident on the pit table, but it is on the track. It became frustrating ad you would have to correct for the delay, often resulting in a car weaving, or accelerating or braking at the wrong places within the corner. I really believe these cheap radios are a reason many newcomers become frustrated and bail out on the hobby. I do believe it's the one piece of equipment that needs proper investment, and coming from a club and region that is seeing huge increases in numbers, this is one piece of advice we give to new comers.
Well said Chris, I've always explained it to newcomers as with:
Cheap kit
'You think, you move, transmitter thinks(delay) then moves, receiver thinks(delay) then moves, finally the car moves (delay)

Decent Kit
'you think, you move, transmitter moves, receiver moves, car moves'.
No delay hence the car is doing what you want when you want and no delay as Chris mentioned which may only be a tiny delay but enough to effect your driving.

I've proved this trackside with a young lad pitting next to me explaining this delay issue to his dad who couldn't figure it out, I lent him my spare Sanwa MT4 radio gear, his laptimes instantly improved on the next qualifier, by the end of the 2 day meeting the father refused to give my radio back and just bought it off me instead, the lad is still using it 3 years later and is getting pretty quick nowadays and doing nationals.
Old 03-05-2019
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy G View Post
Well said Chris, I've always explained it to newcomers as with:
Cheap kit
'You think, you move, transmitter thinks(delay) then moves, receiver thinks(delay) then moves, finally the car moves (delay)

Decent Kit
'you think, you move, transmitter moves, receiver moves, car moves'.
No delay hence the car is doing what you want when you want and no delay as Chris mentioned which may only be a tiny delay but enough to effect your driving.

I've proved this trackside with a young lad pitting next to me explaining this delay issue to his dad who couldn't figure it out, I lent him my spare Sanwa MT4 radio gear, his laptimes instantly improved on the next qualifier, by the end of the 2 day meeting the father refused to give my radio back and just bought it off me instead, the lad is still using it 3 years later and is getting pretty quick nowadays and doing nationals.
I have twins what would you suggest that would be better than want they use now but doesn't cost me £1000 to buy 2 of
Old 03-05-2019
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz75 View Post
I have twins what would you suggest that would be better than want they use now but doesn't cost me £1000 to buy 2 of
LOL, funny you should say that, when my 2 lads used the sanwa for the 1st time it improved their laptimes so much I did go home and buy 2 sanwa m12's with 2 extra recievers each, so yes that was £1100 at the time

But I would still say that it was money well spent

Look for a used sanwa mt4 or mt4s, both excellent transmitters, the last mt4s with receiver I sold was for £110 excellent value for money.

The MT44 is also really good value for money, I think £240 ish brand new so not as eyewatering as you may think.

Last edited by Zippy G; 03-05-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy G View Post
LOL, funny you should say that, when my 2 lads used the sanwa for the 1st time it improved their laptimes so much I did go home and buy 2 sanwa m12's with 2 extra recievers each, so yes that was £1100 at the time

But I would still say that it was money well spent

Look for a used sanwa mt4 or mt4s, both excellent transmitters, the last mt4s with receiver I sold was for £110 excellent value for money.

The MT44 is also really good value for money, I think £240 ish brand new so not as eyewatering as you may think.
But they are both wheel transmitters and he is looking a stick set. The Futaba T4GRS would be the best bet for a mid range stick set at £240.
Old 03-05-2019

T4GRS is what I will be replacing my Absima SR2S with somewhere down the line, but my Absima has been fine so far, for the money really can't complain
Schumacher Cat 2000EC
Losi XX
Tamiya TT-02 (Rally)
Traxxas Rustler

Instagram: Lofty1984
Old 03-05-2019

Avoid the Core and Absima stuff at all costs. The delay is horrible.

Get a Futaba 2HR, great for little hands, it has steering EPA via a dial and the signal is just as fast as the £250 transmitters.

The slower equipment makes the cars unpleasant (and harder) to drive.

If you want all the extra bells and whistles look for a Sanwa Gemini X second hand for around £80. I have both a Gemini and an Exzes X (close to £400 new) and the performance is identical.

Last edited by matthew413; 03-05-2019 at 10:50 AM.