Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 02-06-2018

Default Lipo batteries, how many races do you get?

I'm looking to buy a fairly inexpensive battery, maybe 3000 mAh, and I can't decide if it'll be enough to last a race? (I've not been doing this long). My current batteries are 4500 mAh, I always charge one while I'm using the other and alternative between the two batteries for each race. One of the batteries is slightly swollen, and has been for a while, so I think it's time I replaced it.

Currently I do club racing, 2wd indoor, 1/10 off-road. I'm using a SkyRC Torro ESC and an Orion 6.5t brushless motor.

I think, that during a 5 minute race I'm using between 800-1000 mAh per race. I'm just wondering what others use per race? Do you use one battery per race, or do you use a single battery for multiple race? or do you charge up between races?

Keen to hear what others do.
Old 02-06-2018

3000mAh should be enough to do a race for most, I expect some of the top top guys (especially 4WD) could get close.

I used to quite easily do 2 races with a 6,000mAh pack and also with a 5,000 too, but I used to cut the practise laps a little and turn the end points down just to be sure.

If you're able to charge between races then just charge it, it'll only take twice as long to charge after 2 runs. I only used to run 2 races as I wasnt able to charge onsite so 3x batteries = 1x practise, 4x heats and a final.
Old 02-06-2018

I usually charge packs between rounds but leave one round rest to avoid recharging while the pack is still warm. Having minimum three packs allows you to race one, charge another and rest the one you've just used.
With a 3000 mah pack you might lack some punch, depending on the C rating.
Cheers!
Old 02-06-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste_lazzaro View Post
I usually charge packs between rounds but leave one round rest to avoid recharging while the pack is still warm. Having minimum three packs allows you to race one, charge another and rest the one you've just used.
With a 3000 mah pack you might lack some punch, depending on the C rating.
Cheers!
I had forgot about the C rating, thanks for bringing that up.
Old 02-06-2018

Me and my lad both have 2 sets each. We do practice and one race on the first set, next two races on the next set and so on. They're 5000mAh and I generally only put back in around 2600-2900mAh.

Mine are 100C and his are 30C - never noticed a difference when using his in mine (7.5T in a 4WD) as basic maths states that 30C x 5A = 150A (constant - 60C burst) = 300A) which is what my ESC is rated to anyway.
Old 02-06-2018
Mad Member

TBH, unless you are really really on a budget, or up against a weight/size limit, i'd get something bigger, 5000+
A 3000 will start to tail off much sooner, probably be a bit less "sharp" in the first place, and really won't save you much.
The gens ace 5300 and turnigy nanotechs 5.3 and 5.8s can be had for not very much and will do 2x5 or 6 minute runs before a significant drop off.

When "just driving" i set the timer on my Tx to 12 minutes and haven't had any issues in the last 5 years.
Old 04-06-2018
Mad Member

As has been mentioned the C rating and capacity are linked so it's worth always trying to buy batteries with comparable capacity and rating, or better stil buy two or three packs that are identical as that will keep performance consistent from one race to the next.

I know my Corally 120c have far greater punch compared to my 80c Vampires, but also know that a fellow racer thought my Vampire 4600mah 80c shorty had more punch than his 5000mah 100c Orion, so I don't believe all batteries are made equally. Additionally how you charge and store them may have an effect on life span and performance.

I run four packs of Corally Voltax in my 2wd and normally put in around 1000 to 1500 after a five minute race.

Personally I'd buy the highest capacity, highest C rating batteries you can afford as they will give you greater performance over a longer period of time and will save you wanting to upgrade should you find you want some more power as your ability improves. Check out the Corally batteries here

Also consider whether they are BRCA legal, some clubs won't mind, others will and if you want to take part in regionals or nationals in a year or two they'll have to be on the BRCA electric board list.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!
Old 22-06-2018
Flora

I just want to know what the rc car you have, and if you want to the have a great performance, gens ace is a good brand for you to pick the battery.

Last edited by Flora; 22-06-2018 at 07:20 AM.