Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/18th & Micro stuff

Old 23-12-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001
Default Looking to race: FTX Fury at Hereford

After my first visit to Hereford on this Friday gone, I was keen to find out a bit more about running a Micro.. mainly to save wear and tear on my buggy, especially since if I break the buggy before a weekend meeting, it could be hard to get spares.

From what I have read the FTX and AE cars seem to be quite popular.

Anyway... It is mainly going to be for racing at club level only, but not for bashing, and I was hoping for something that was going to pretty low maintenance and cost/hassle.

This is where the the FTX Fury came in, since it has brushless motor, and Li-po battery & charger included in the price. However, has anyone experience of this car and package, and would it take the punishement from the jumps or are there some recommended upgrades?

I know that the normal FTX Blaze requires some upgrades for reliability and strength. Are the RC18 series cars better?

Thanks
Mark
Old 23-12-2007

well this debate has been done time and time again against the Blaze and the RC18 series, some will say one, others will say the other. The fury imo is a bashing car and although it is made from the bendiest plastic known to man the setup and ease to work on would not be the best for racing.

if you want low maintainance and easy to drive out the box then go for the Blaze ST. stick the tyres of choice on and get a ball dif for the rear and you'll be good to go. obviously there are more hopups you can get but that is all you really need to race. They are really strong, i very rarely break mine, the best car all round imo
Old 23-12-2007
Mad Member

I agree with Bill and will add that you want something that you can get loads of spares for cheaply as it will break regardless.

The RC18 is a great little car but there are some issues that needs to be sorted to make it anything but useful. Steering being th emost important.

I have a Blaze ST on order so have not yet owned one myself but I have had a couple of Inferno's and own 2 x Exotek converted RC18's. I love my RC18's but there is no getting away from the fact that they are quite light and so sometimes you can struggle to find grip.

The Blaze seems LOADS better out of the box and is far better supported.
Old 24-12-2007

The Blaze seems LOADS better out of the box and is far better supported.[/quote]

I don't fully agree with that statement, The Blaze is much easier to drive hence the choice of more normal people as they are quicker with it.

But the RC18 out of the box has been proved to be very good.

Chris Doughty took 3rd in Stock at UKMC3 after missing half the meeting with an out of the box car.
Keith Robertson took 2nd at the Hereford National with an almost bog standard car.
This was the first time these guys had used the cars
Stu Harlow won UKMC3 modified class with a RC18.
considering how few RC18's are raced at the Nationals they have achieved some pretty good results with the right drivers.
The RC18 is better supported in most model shops I would have said being an Associated.

By the way have had a look at the Exotek RC18's on the net and they look real nice.
Old 24-12-2007
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrg500 View Post
I don't fully agree with that statement, The Blaze is much easier to drive hence the choice of more normal people as they are quicker with it.

But the RC18 out of the box has been proved to be very good.

Chris Doughty took 3rd in Stock at UKMC3 after missing half the meeting with an out of the box car.
Keith Robertson took 2nd at the Hereford National with an almost bog standard car.
This was the first time these guys had used the cars
Stu Harlow won UKMC3 modified class with a RC18.
considering how few RC18's are raced at the Nationals they have achieved some pretty good results with the right drivers.
The RC18 is better supported in most model shops I would have said being an Associated.

By the way have had a look at the Exotek RC18's on the net and they look real nice.
Good point well made I need no convincing the RC18 is an awesome car, I have 2 of them but it seems from racing the nationals perspective that spares, setup advice and such like are easier to come by for the Blaze.

I think at the end of the day there is no substitute for good thumbs
Old 24-12-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

My Exotek has been a great car ... it's just the electronics that keep letting me down!
Old 29-12-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

What electical problems are you having now then Roger?

Ive never known a man have a micro so long and not actually use it in anger lol

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups