Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Mardave

Old 13-09-2013

Default Mardave newbie help

I fancy racing GT12 at my local club, they run to BRCA rules. I have absolutely no experience in this class and I'm not finding the mardave site particularly clear on the differences between the models, what's the difference between oval and circuit cars etc?

Most GT12 racers are running 1s 13.5 supastox. I'd rather have the original.

I want to keep costs at an absolute minimum but want to be competitive (i.e. not come last in every race). If I enjoy it, I'll spend the big bucks. I've got loads of gp3300 cells, and plenty of redundant brushed escs I can use. So I'll be running 4 cell G2 for the time being.

Which V12 kit is best for someone on a very tight budget?

something like this
http://www.mardave.co.uk/rc-car-kits...controler.html
or this
http://www.mardave.co.uk/rc-car-kits...ition-kit.html ?
Old 13-09-2013

I've recently bought the V13 GT12 it is a GRP chassis but it comes with diff, Ginetta shell, G2 motor, mine came with a 48dp spur so I already have pinions. All in excellent value £90 . i can't see a carbon chassis making a massive difference with my driving. After speaking to a GT12 regular who had had both the SS and V12 he thought the V12 was easier to drive so that sold it for me
Old 13-09-2013

Thanks for your reply beale.

This one?

http://www.mardave.co.uk/rc-car-kits...-kit-1714.html

It does seem good value with the diff included but is the car BRCA legal? And is a diff necessary?

Also, are the chassis' countersunk?
Old 14-09-2013

Hi,

The V13 will be a good bet, for sure. Especially so if you are just beginning.

The vast majority of racers go for a diff with 13.5t power. The diff makes the car smoother, easier to drive and able to carry more speed through the corners. So long as other members of the club are also running the diffs then it will be "legal", yes.

My worry for you is your choice of power though. There is now a BIG difference in the speed and power of brushless 13.5t and LiPo over 4-cell and brushed, especially if club rules (assuming BRCA rules) limit you to the silver can motors. I fully understand how you are using gear you already have to keep costs down while you try a new class so, assuming you like the class, I would look to upgrading your power pretty quickly! There is no need to speed mega bucks on new power, there are plenty of options out there.

Good luck with the class and happy racing,

James
Old 15-09-2013

Thanks for your advice James.

Having never seen a running brushed 4.8v mardave, I have no idea how slow they are. What I have noticed though is the difference in speed between the core starter pack electrics and racers' custom combos.

Final questions, does the V13 come with a G2 motor? edit, oops... answered in post #2

What tyres do they come with as standard? I heard pinks front and rear, should I buy some harder compound for the front?

Is the v13 chassis countersunk?
Old 17-09-2013

Hi,

Yes, as far as I know the V13 chassis plate is fully countersunk, as are all the GRP and carbon chassis.

Tires - UFRA Pink Medium are good on the rear if you are using the Mardave flavours, these seem to be prety much universally used. Having a variety of front compounds is useful as a handling tuning aid - JAP 46 are a good starting point in the Mardave flavours; if you need more front end grip then go forJAP Mediums and for less grip go for JAP50. Alternatively, you can vary the amount of additive you use - always full width on the rear and vary how much you apply to the front for handling. If you favour the Core flavours then their 35 shores are ok for the rear and 45 shore on the front. Again, vary the amount of front additive or go to 47 or 50 shore fronts if you need less front end grip.

Hope this helps,

James
Old 18-09-2013

Thanks for the advice. The v13 arrived. Mostly pleased with it. I can't use the supplied wheels and tyres, I don't own a truer. So the contact 35 and 45 are ordered.

It came with a 65t 48dp spur. The smallest pinion that'll reach is a 28, that seems large for the supplied g2 motor does it not?
Old 22-09-2013

Hi,

Assuming your rear tires are close to full size that 65/28 spur and pinion ratio will give you a final roll out of around 67mm/rev. That sort of roll out is what I use on big tracks (30m or longer straights) with my brushless setup.

Unfortunately, I can't say how this ratio will work on your track. The silver can motors rev lower than a 13.5t but they also have less torque than the latest motors.

As a first guess I would suggest you need a smaller pinion or bigger spur to get a lower gear ratio. Have you checked your motor is moved as far as it will go - some of the alloy pods need a bit of filing to get the motor to move the last few mm. This way you can get a smaller pinion in. Alternatively, Mardave's 70t or 73t spurs are quite a simple swap to install.

James