Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Ribble Valley R/C Car Club

Old 26-06-2013

Default Does Ribble need more jumps?

Is it possible for us to get any bigger jumps and a proper table top (rather than a table cloth in the words of Lee)?

With Blackpool opening up for buggies just down the road I think Ribble needs to up the game to keep drivers attending.

What is holding us back from having bigger jumps/table top? Is it money, storage or just that the majority of drivers dont want bigger?

Please discuss
Old 26-06-2013

As much as I'd love to I can't take credit for the table cloth analogy as it was quoted to me by another racer. Agree with you Jonny needs more jumps
Old 26-06-2013

the track is to small to start going daft with bigger jumps and also it is very user friendly for beginners the way it is and ribble gets a lot of young drivers
Old 26-06-2013

Interesting question. I think Tisher's comment is very valid. I remember when mark set up his club with jumps et al for "more serious racers", whilst this and big jumps appeals to me, I was concerned about my little boy destroying his car and getting frustrated. Whether this was a factor for other racers too I can't say.

I came back to indoor racing as a hobby that I can share with my son, so this is my number 1 priority.

Having said all that, the table top could be a smidge bigger
Old 26-06-2013

Martin,
The track at Blackpool isn't much smaller if at all than that at Ribble and they incorporate jumps and a tabletop no problem. Appreciate what you're saying about young racers but I think it will make it more fun for them having a variety of obstacles than just trying to go flat out.
Lee
Old 26-06-2013

Hi guys.....the track at Blackpool is way smaller and it really makes the track more fun. There is a simple solution to make removable jumps that could be taken off for the lesser ability drivers- could be easily made and easily removed if done properly
Old 26-06-2013

Ribble cant compete with other clubs around our area, Southport is one of the best in the country, Bury has a very good astro track with great if not a bit mad members Blackpool has a permanent track with no storage problems so can have bigger jumps.

Ribble is what it is, its run by a committee who has no chance of ever getting into any A final, so we don't have the drive to make the club into anything else than a friendly club that welcomes all abilities.

Storage is a problem for us but thats not the main reason we have small jumps, its because of the younger drivers who come every week and go home with a bit grin on there face's.

Peter
Old 26-06-2013

I must take credit for "table cloth" comment but it is really well made and I have respect for the guy that has built it as it takes time and effort, even if I would like to see it bigger. The track really works for the young guys and that is really good, never know we may have a future regional/national/world champion.
Instead of bigger jumps we could have smaller cars (thinking 1/18th or 1/16th scale) this would make the jumps proportionally massive, just a thought.
Other question I have when we join the club do we get given a club number? as I personally like to run my club number on my car and am thinking ahead as will need a new wing soon and want to run my number on it.

2nd is 1st placed loser!!

Old 26-06-2013

to be honest i dont think adding jumps would challenge the little ones to much and wouldnt cause too many breakages, as they would have too slow down for the jumps. i do agree from trying other clubs that ribble has to do something to try and get back on the same level as blackpool and southport. also with the new addition of the touring cars in the winter when we have often breached the limit of 80, the addition of touring car drivers who are looking for places to go to, i think that we will easily get over 80 and you have expressed before (pete) that you dont like turning people away. another complaint (sorry) is that since the agm only one thing has been changed and has received more complaints than positive comments.

callum
Old 26-06-2013

just wondering if any touring car driver are going on friday also how many tourers are needed for it to be profitable
Old 26-06-2013

Which thing is that Callum?

Like you say I dont like to turn lads away from racing but thats not to say I wont.

Not sure we need to get to the same level as other clubs

Peter
Old 26-06-2013

Ribble doesn't have to try and be something its not....it does seem to be a club that listens to its members...hence the AGM. Hhaving jumps on the track is.not just for the A final drivers everyone enjoys a big jump after all that's what buggy are made.for!!! How about the movable jumps???? Not.much room taken by a plank.and a few 3by2lol
Old 27-06-2013

I know what your saying about the younger drivers etc but I dont think a few bigger jumps for example would hinder their driving skills one little bit, if anything it would teach them that its not all about power and speed. Like the idea that gaz has come up with about moveable jumps, just need an Adam, (plank) and abit of 3x2. John D and Wez Diddler could soon knock us something up. Id have asked Ste Fanny-Gan to make us something but he'd probably struggle doing it whilst sat in his van fixing his cars and claiming to be run off his feet!
Old 27-06-2013

Hi Guys, thinking outside the box for a minute and came up with an idea :- if someone could make a removable jump and bring it with them each week that would help on the storage front ! Any volunteers ??? Then we only need to get someone to put it on and off the track, any volunteers ???

Eric
Old 27-06-2013

Like your thinking Eric
Old 27-06-2013

Why don't we make two lots, I'd gladly take a set of jumps and if Matt didn't mind we could share bringing them if one of us can't make it and if someone else shares a set at least that way we should be guaranteed to have jumps.
Old 27-06-2013

Smile

Haha team mad rat love the banter!!! That's a great idea to make a couple of jumps that way we would always have t least one jump and possibly two if both are racing. John dewhurst has said he would also bring them in his van. I would personally volunteer to remove the jumps as needed and I think once the lads have used them would be happy to help I know all of our crazy crew would do it
Old 27-06-2013

I'd love to c more jumps at ribble after all we do drive off road buggies n it's wot they are built for after all I'd b happy to fetch a jump every week vans big enuff so shouldn't b a problem jus don't expect me t b there lifting it on and off the trak as Mite b havin a smoke and jonny Allen that post cracked me up haha
Old 27-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team mad rat! View Post
I know what your saying about the younger drivers etc but I dont think a few bigger jumps for example would hinder their driving skills one little bit, if anything it would teach them that its not all about power and speed. Like the idea that gaz has come up with about moveable jumps, just need an Adam, (plank) and abit of 3x2. John D and Wez Diddler could soon knock us something up. Id have asked Ste Fanny-Gan to make us something but he'd probably struggle doing it whilst sat in his van fixing his cars and claiming to be run off his feet!
Oh pipe down Jonny boy had a busy day didn't get home till 3pm

Defo up for more jumps even a couple like Blackpool there not to bulky and are a good ramp
Old 27-06-2013

Even ste (the man that has never touched a track set up) is up for bringing the jumps.and moving.them when needed!!!! Now that is.progress!!! So it appears jumps are the way forward!!! Prob be the only jump I will get weekly :-)