Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bury Metro

Old 04-12-2015

Default Optima mid restoration

Hi everyone I used to race optima mids nearly 30 year ago , I loved them in the day so I have just purchased one to do a total restoration on it,can anyone help me in telling me best places to find and buy parts
I then got to decide whether I going to run it
Already wondering whether to go brushed or brushless and whether to do old fashioned paint job as they were or whether to do nice design on it,but that a long way off yet
Anyone who gets in touch is greatly appreciated thanks in advance
Alan

Last edited by rylance1878; 04-12-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-12-2015

Hi Alan.
I still race my lazer zxr , this is my 3rd year racing it and apart from the odd little niggle nothing has broken, the main problem I had was my plastic steering knuckles stripping the thread on the king pins but I'm guessing yours will be cast alloy so should be ok. also the front plastic hinge pin braces breaking, I now have alloy versions.
Is yours a short wheel base mid chain driven? I know of someone who races his as I do with the modern cars (he has posted a video in the vintage section) and as far as I'm aware he uses a 10t brushless system with the original drive system.
As for parts I use eBay or post in the vintage and non vintage wanted section. if you fancy a bit of bling fibre-lyte make carbon fibre parts like shock towers, chassis etc.

Last edited by rob m; 05-12-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 27-12-2015

Hi rob
Mine belt driven it's optima mid lwb and has alloy knuckles as you said ,after speaking to you at Oldham today if you have any spare zxr cars ,I would be interested in buying one from you as I enjoying working on the older cars
Thanks al