What would people suggest ia a good starting place regarding diff oils
Front
Centre
Rear

Brushless powered 2100kv motor..

also what Shock oil ?????

Xray Xb4-14 - Orion R10.1- Speed Passion 8.5 - Savox - Exotech - Schumacher

TLR 22 - Reventon Pro - Speed Passion 10.5 -Savox - Avid

Xray T4-14 - Orion R10 pro - Trinity D4 4.5 Big Blue - Savox.

ARC R11- Orion R10prp - Trinity D4 13.5 Certified - Savox.
Old 29-06-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianski68 View Post
What would people suggest ia a good starting place regarding diff oils
Front
Centre
Rear

Brushless powered 2100kv motor..

also what Shock oil ?????

What car and track.

Schumacher F1..The original KF.
TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 30-06-2015

JQ did a whole set up on neobuggy

A good starting point that will work for all cars is, front-centre-rear, 5000-7000-3000. This is a popular basic set up and if your car is terrible, and you have this diff set up, you can be sure that it’s not the diffs. It will be decent everywhere. However, on THE Car, I tend to like to run a thicker diff in the front, to smooth out the aggressive steering, and a thinner in the middle, to smooth out the acceleration and punch, so 7000-5000-3000.
Diffs can make you fast or slow. Everyone has their own driving style, and it is good to try different diff combinations for oneself, to see what feels best, and what is the fastest combination. Normally thinner oils will make the car easier to drive. On slippery, bumpy tracks thinner oils are better. On smooth high traction tracks thicker diffs will be better. Thicker diffs give more acceleration, more cornerspeed, and help to make the car more stable on a high traction surface. On special tracks, that are really smooth and high traction, asphalt like, the car will be a lot more stable and fast in the corners if all diff oils are made thicker. Front and centre by about 10000 compared to the normal set up, and rear maybe 5000. Because the track is so smooth you can get away with it.
The front diff mainly affects steering on and off power, and acceleration, the centre diff affects the way the car handles bumps, and acceleration, and the rear diff affects rear traction and steering. Next I will try to explain what each diff does when tuned separately.

4.3 Front Differential
Using thicker oil will make the car turn more on power, out of the corner, and accelerate faster. The car will turn less into the corner, as off power steering is reduced. It will feel more stable, and can be easier to drive in bumps. If the car is twitchy and feels inconsistent on a rough track, a good idea is to try a thicker front diff. A thinner front oil will have the opposite effect, less on power steering, more off power steering, less stability. Usually the oils used in the front diff range from 3000-15000. 5000-7000 is a safe bet on all tracks, and that’s what I use most of the time when I’m using a standard front diff. With THE Car it is also possible to use thicker oils as it has so much offpower steering, so 10-15k will work on most tracks.

4.4 Centre Differential
Using thicker oil in the centre diff makes the car accelerate a lot faster, but it can be harder to drive in bumps and on slippery tracks. It gets a bit confusing though, because if the track is soft, and it gets really bumpy, a thicker centre diff can actually make the car skip over the tops of the bumps, and thus it will actually be better and faster. But most of the time, thinner centre diffs are used for blown out tracks. A thick centre diff oil will also make it easier to get on power steering, as the rear of the car can be made to slide out when on power. The centre diff usually has the thickest oil of the three diffs, or the same as the front. The oils used normally range from 3000-20000. A safe bet is 5000-7000. I normally never go below this, because I feel that I loose too much acceleration, specially the first ”snap” when I get on the gas. And I don’t either use thicker oils than 10000 because I’m so aggressive on the throttle, I would fly off the track. Normally, if a thicker centre diff oil is used, the front diff also needs to have thicker oil, so the car still remains stable under acceleration.

4.5 Rear Differential
The rear diff set up is the one that varies the most between different drivers. This is because the rear diff has a big effect on rear traction, and each driver’s driving style determines what oil should be used. It is vital to get the right rear diff oil that suits your driving style, otherwise you will only be fighting your car. Some years ago it seemed like everyone always used the thinnest possible rear diff oils. I think it was because people were used to electric offroad. A thin rear diff oil will make the car have a lot of steering into corners, the car is easy to control when accelerating, even if it’s bumpy. So it seems like the way to go right? Yes and no. One drawback is that the rear can lose its traction suddenly. It will have traction, and then lose it all at once when entering a corner. A thin rear diff suits drivers that brake before a corner, keep a tight line around it, then accelerate hard after the corner, towards the next obstacle. This is not how I drive. I like to control the car a lot with the throttle. A thicker rear diff oil will make this possible, it will be possible to steer the car with the throttle. You can enter the corner aggressively because the rear is very stable, and won’t suddenly lose its traction, it will start sliding in a controllable way. After braking, it is possible to drift on throttle, like a rally car through the corner and onto the next straight. I’m on the gas before the corner, and halfway in the corner, or sometimes even before halfway I’m already on the gas hard.
The thick oil makes the rear tires pull more evenly. On a slippery or bumpy track the car can be too hard to drive. The rear diff oil is normally the thinnest of the three diffs, or the same as the others. The oils used range from 1000-7000. 3000 is a safe bet, no matter what your driving style, or what the track conditions. I nearly always use 4000-5000.

4.6 Last Words
Diffs are a major tuning aid. Anyone that wants to become a better driver or just wants to understand their car better should start trying different set ups and writing down each change and its effect in a notebook. As for the special diffs, they are expensive, and good, but definitely not something you HAVE to have to do well. You can become a World Champion by running normal diffs, 5000-7000-3000 or something similar, there’s no doubt about that!
Old 30-06-2015

Many thanks for the advice.

Xray Xb4-14 - Orion R10.1- Speed Passion 8.5 - Savox - Exotech - Schumacher

TLR 22 - Reventon Pro - Speed Passion 10.5 -Savox - Avid

Xray T4-14 - Orion R10 pro - Trinity D4 4.5 Big Blue - Savox.

ARC R11- Orion R10prp - Trinity D4 13.5 Certified - Savox.