Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > oOple Talk

Old 03-03-2015

Default Buyer Scam?

Looking through the classified section with me,my son spotted a car for sale.
I was asked to buy it with a combination of his birthday and Christmas monies.
I duly replied and asked the seller politely to sell me the car.
Payment was specified via Paypal.
I received a reply back stating that he would not be selling the car to a new member with 1 post,and that I was more than likely a scammer.
I have purchased before on here and gave the username of that member,I also gave
My eBay username.
I explained my son had his heart set on the car and asked that we could perhaps use an intermediate.and suggested a well known eBay seller that is my lms.
I received a reply agreeing this,yet today the car is sold?
So what scam can a new member pull off if I sell via Paypal,I have the money and the goods, I send via insured and signed for delivery,I am covered for damage and proof of delivery.
Paypal gives a delivery address,
I am really a bit baffled by it all,my son is very disappointed,, I feel tarred by a brush that is not me.I have bought and sold dozens of things online,including cars and a yacht,met some lovely people,had a few problems,quickly sorted..
Perhaps somebody can enlighten me.
Old 03-03-2015
Mad Member

Its unfortunate, but several members have had their fingers burned through scammers, so if in doubt its always easier to sell to someone with history.

I have once sold a car to a new member (on another forum), then received an email telling me it had some marks on the underside of the chassis, even though it was described as having run two seasons outdoors with usual wear and tear! The guy was new to RC and didn't quite understand what normal use can do to a chassis and so I wished I had sold to someone more experienced!

Guess what I am saying is, that due to a few bas experiences, honest buyers are sometimes penalised, so don't take it personally and I am sure you will find something!
Old 04-03-2015

I still don't get how you,got your fingers burnt,yours and his conditioning differed,obviously he expected to get a better model for his money,if he was to post next,he would tell me I had a lucky escape,as the car was possibly scratched.
Most sites now allow the seller to display plenty of pictures,to show the condition..
The real flaw here is that by using Paypal the buyer has redress on the sale,and the seller has to address what ever issues arise from that sale.
Without the buoyant second hand market,the costs of racing and having the latest car,would be much higher.
As a hobby you actually need new comers and there buying power!
Old 04-03-2015
Awesome Admin

The seller can get burned by the buyer if he opens a case with paypal and they always side with the buyer.
I sold a pair of BMW indicators last year on eBay, they sold for about £4 they were sold as used and had very clear pictures. But I didn't notice they were missing one of the metal locator clips to hold them in which was my fault I will hold my hands up to that but can be clearly seen in the pictures. As soon as they arrived he contacted and said it was missing (so he obviously new and had fully intended to do this all along) and wanted a refund.
I did state in the listing sold as seen and no returns but I offered him a full refund for the item as soon as I recived it back. I had no more contact from him for 4 days and then he opens an "not as described" case with ebay.
So again I offerd a full refund minus the postage as soon as I recived them back. He then contacted me saying he wanted the postage refunding too and I told him that was a cost and I made no money from it and that he wasn't going to get it.
Then again no contact again for days until eBay sided with the buyer and gave him a full refund including postage. But the best part was he kept the indicators and got his money back.

So this is how a buyer can get burned very easily through paypal and the buyer can end up with the goods and the money.
I gave up in the end as it was only a few quid but had it of been more I would of been kicking down his door to recover my stuff.

So this is why some people would rather deal with people with a "track record" than someone without. But in the end really it all comes down to trust. Last year I bought my 92 Dogfighter from a guy on here with only 1 post and had a nice smooth transaction you can usually tell a scammer if you talk to them enough about the sale I think anyway.
Old 04-03-2015
Mad Member

Because I had to refund the guy, even though I had loads of pictures showing the underside, so it cost me two lots of postage! (Nearly £40!)

All to avoid a PayPal dispute that I knew I would loose...