Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 01-08-2007

Default Looking for a camera, but not bank breaking ones

Wanting to take decent photos at race events, aswell the usual family stuff.

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_GB

What's your opinion on this one ?

Advice appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 02-08-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to mole2k

For taking photos at the racing you will want quite a large zoom, the 10x zoom in this will be quite good for that although you wont be able to use a continuous autofocus on the cars as the focusing system wouldnt be quick enough (even on expensive dSLR's you would need to look at top spec equipment to be able to fully track a car).

Looking at the specs of that camera it looks fairly good as a consumer level camera and should do an ok job at what you want it too.

I've always quite liked the canon ixus series of cameras they have always seemed pretty good, and there is always glowing reviews on the canon G7 although they are a bit higher up on the price scale.

www.rcbearings.co.uk
Old 02-08-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to josh_smaxx

Fuji Finepix S6500FD all the way.

I can cont. auto focus on moving cars and track them, 10x optical zoom, 6.3m pixels, has msnusl focus function with lens ring, f2.8 - f11, 30s to 1/4000s.

Best camera i have ever used
Old 02-08-2007

I had a Kodak Z740 (basically the 5mp previous version of this) up until November last year, it did a decent enough job for the price in good light. You'll have to prefocus on a spot and be aware of shutter lag.

Here's a sample, cropped and resized to 800px but not adjusted in any other way... (click to view, as JIMMY does some horrible resizing on remote links)

As for 'normal' pics, it generally gave very pleasing, print-ready results.

Any of the superzoom/bridge cameras should be passable given enough light but you'll struggle otherwise - and how often do we get good light? However, you'll also be able to record videos that the DSLR boys can't! Keep your eye on the Canon S3, it's just been replaced by the S5 so there may be some bargains to be had.

Last edited by P_B; 02-08-2007 at 03:40 PM. Reason: letting photobucket off the hook
Old 02-08-2007
Administrator

The 'horrible resizing' is actually my fault. When an image is too big for the forum it will stretch it out and basically break the look of the forum - unless you have a 'hack' installed to auto resize images to fit. That's all it is, doesn't look pretty but I think it can be configured to say "click on image to see original" or something, I will look into it.
Old 02-08-2007

No worries Jimmy, I've changed the post to corectly promote our 'blame and shame' culture.
Old 03-08-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_smaxx View Post
Fuji Finepix S6500FD all the way.

I can cont. auto focus on moving cars and track them, 10x optical zoom, 6.3m pixels, has msnusl focus function with lens ring, f2.8 - f11, 30s to 1/4000s.

Best camera i have ever used
Cheapest I've found so far on this one is £155.28 inc delivery, anywhere cheaper ?
Old 03-08-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to josh_smaxx

Thats how much i got mine for, im surprised you found it that cheap, a week after i got mine the price went up £20 But ya its a great camera, im taking it to Harewood at the week end for the hillclimb there so i might stick some pics up if anyone wants to see some 1/1 racing pics