Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 07-11-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Think about the long game....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockerill View Post
And yes, the list does ensure you have to buy from a UK source. Whilst some think this is the worlds worst thing, without UK shops/distributors/manufacturers, there would be no RC Hobby industry, no racing, and no thread to argue on! I don't think it's massively unreasonable to for the UK sanctioning body to support UK business so there's some UK racing.
Technically you don't have to buy from a UK source, just that the UK provider has to put the items forward for homologation in the hope that people buy them from a UK source aka the shops they sell to.

I'm in 100% agreement with the sentiment of your post though, why I get so cross with all those people who refer to getting charged duty on foreign purchases as being "stung".

I always say the say thing "ok it's cheaper but many clubs start because a local shop is pushing RC products to people who walk in ... if you don't buy from the local shops they will fail and close then where will the next generation of racers be introduced to the sport?".

And "It's all well and good saving a few pounds buying kit from abroad but think how much it will cost you when you have to go abroad to race it!"

Now that is a little melodramatic I admit but it is the ultimate end if we go too far down the route of not supporting local or at least UK based shops.

I've been racing for nearly 30 years (I should be good at it by now ... if only) and have seen many many many changes; the two most positive ones are control tires and the EB lists; the two most negative are shops closing due to lack of sales and clubs folding due to lack of members as less and less people stumble across the sport whilst walking down the high street.

I've been involved with several local shops over the years as a driver (Puma Racing, DC Racing, Microtech) all great shops run by great people who put massive amounts back in to the sport and all GONE!

Please guys, a set of tires is £15 if you're reusing your wheels and inserts and show a smile to the retailer you get them from ..... use 1 set less every year and spend the extra on a lipo or motor from the list compared to one not on it.

Roger Mills - non-profit making RC racer

Last edited by RogerM; 07-11-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-11-2014
Mad Member

+1 , well put Roger.
Old 08-11-2014
Mad Member

Well said Roger. I would like to add "and stop bashing the people who put their time into organising the sport and running the meetings."