Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 17-04-2009

Default Interested in starting RC

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the best place to post but here goes anyhow.

I live in fareham and am interested in starting RC. I have a bit of of an electronics background but do not relaly where to start. I am currently reading this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Radio-Contro...0615758&sr=1-1

Can anyone point me in the direction of some good resources, local model shops etc.

Thanks in advance
Old 17-04-2009

Hi jk,

I would suggest by far the best 'resource' is the local club! Why not come down to TORCH (Sundays 9am-1pm) to have a look and a chat, you can see what's involved and also the sort of racing you could be doing locally.
I've just started again after a 20+year break, and have found it a good track with friendly people.
Cheers,
Richard.
Old 17-04-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Indeed helpful bunch. I was going to come down this weekend, but I'm playing paint ball with work..

So next weekend fingers crossed my B4 will hit the track
Old 18-04-2009

Thanks I will try and make it down this Sunday.

John
Old 18-04-2009

I may pop down early as I think the paint ball is just up the road. Bit gutted as I thought it was today and then my boss said no - Sunday
Old 18-04-2009

I recently started racing (again) here, and just wanted to say that they are a very helpful, friendly bunch . There's also no other clubs in the area, as far as I am aware.

It's true, though, that you have to be rather dedicated to find them. It took a substantial amount of trawling the internet before I located the web site.
Old 18-04-2009

I did find one other on the internet near Waterlooville (http://www.bolwextric.co.uk/rem/index.html) but titchfield is closer to me.
Old 18-04-2009
Mad Member

The Clanfield track is 1/8th Nitro only. Whereas TORCH is 1/10th off road.

P.S, sorry could help with the astro moving today guys, only just finished working on the car and I've had enough today.

Hope to be down somewhen soon
SWorkz S12-2

Instagram: crazylthirteen
Blogger: http://the-croucher.blogspot.co.uk/
Old 18-04-2009

Clanfield I think are due to have a 1/10 track, but Titchfield location wise is perfect and with a rise in numbers fingers crossed

I'd like to see a lap counting system there and I'd happily pay for my own PT
Old 18-04-2009
Mad Member

Titchfields a little bit of a drive for me but the idea of only racing in the morning is the main thing that puts me off going.
if i go out for a days racing thats exactly what i want
Old 18-04-2009

It's quite good, but if the numbers rise maybe it'll run for longer

I'll prob get down their at 08:15 tomorrow before heading off to paint ball as it's only down the road

May pay Iain for using the track later in the day for a practice
Old 18-04-2009
SHRCCC Legend

Default Old Newbee.....

Hi All,

I used to race between 1988 and 1994 around the South East, mainly at Ash, Aldershot linked to Surrey and Hants model in Frimley.

I am thinking off getting back into it but I need a heads up on the type of machinery now involved?.

Cells?
Motors?
Cars 2wd/4wd?
ESC?
Controller?.

Have things moved on since Kyosho ZX-R stage?. Used the use 2200 cells with carbon stuff and temp charger.....

Regards

Neil
Old 18-04-2009
Mad Member

Yes things have moved on, brushless motors and lipo cells are the order of the day. car wise, anything goes down there, infact, there's a guy down there called Dave, he has more than one ZX-R, which he happily races.

Showtime, you'll be lucky with the whole day racing thing, they all want to go home and watch F1. I'm willing to bet at least 80% of them have never done a "whole days racing", ever, hell, none of them had ever heard of spectrum till about 18 months ago.

No chance either of a transponder based timing system, not unless someone is willing to donate.

Not being derogotory, just hard facts.
SWorkz S12-2

Old 18-04-2009
SHRCCC Legend

Crazy L,

So what is the most popular 4wd or 2wd?, my choice was always 4wd. What is the best car to have at present in the world 1/10th off road world?.

I think I'll need to get searching for brushless cells and Lipo cells!
Old 18-04-2009
Mad Member

Most popular 4wd, is probably the RC10 B44, takes saddle packs if thats your thing. others to consider are of course the Schumacher Cat sx, available in lipo cell chassis or sub C version, the Losi XX4, which is a bit long in the tooth now, and the Tamiya Durga DB01, belt drive, takes stick packs, if you feel minted, there's always the Predator X11. Not forgetting also the Yokomo Bmax and the X Factory bastard car.

As for 2wd, well, RC10 B4 is the worlds favourite, and has been for a while now, other cars include the X Factory X(5 or 6, I can never remember) and Losi's ark relic, the XXX BK2.
SWorkz S12-2

Old 19-04-2009

How did it go today?

I was there early 08:00-08:45, but had to leave to head off to paint ball. Looking forward to running next week. Just hope my toe in and camber tools arrive.
Old 20-04-2009

I could only make it for a couple of races, but it looked like there were enough people for two full heats (11+). The numbers seem to have been rising ever since I first went there - I wonder if I can take credit .

Neildudman - Quite a few people at the track still run NiMH/brushed setups and do well - there's not too many long straights, so it doesn't seem like you *need* the fastest motors to compete. You can pick up brushed kit for a song, as well. I was doing alright-ish yesterday with a brushed/NiMH setup, and my driving is pretty awful
Old 20-04-2009
Banned

hi do you know how to change your name?
Old 20-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisdairO View Post
I could only make it for a couple of races, but it looked like there were enough people for two full heats (11+). The numbers seem to have been rising ever since I first went there - I wonder if I can take credit .

Neildudman - Quite a few people at the track still run NiMH/brushed setups and do well - there's not too many long straights, so it doesn't seem like you *need* the fastest motors to compete. You can pick up brushed kit for a song, as well. I was doing alright-ish yesterday with a brushed/NiMH setup, and my driving is pretty awful
Fantastic and I'll be there next week along with a friend who has purchased a B4 RTR. Was Ed there and how did he get one Just got to work on the set-up this week as I'm experiencing grip roll at the mo, so gone for micros on the rear and minis on the front minus the outer spikes. Fitted an anti roll bar last night, so will see how it goes.

Paint Ball was wicked (and only up the road), but I wouldn't be in pain today if I'd gone racing....
Old 20-04-2009
Mad Member

Yep Ed was there, had a drive of his B4 which seemed to go quite well. Don't quote me on this because i know little about 2wd, but i think the standard tyre setup for b4's at this track is Yellow Mini pins or spikes on the back and staggered ribs on the front (not sure what colour, think yellow).

Edd had changed his car to this and it was loads better that last time i saw him drivinig it.