Nope
"Our most popular plan".

(cough)bullshit(cough)
Old 16-07-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panch View Post
There is a 10th off road track !!
Thats where we are all going for "The Weekender" in August isnt it ?? well its in silverstone anyway...
www.silverstonemcc.co.uk
Is this not part of the same thing then...??
if not then this would probably be the reason to steer away from a 10th track so as not to affect there neighbours
all good though and positive for both the region and the sport
The Silverstone Weekender is in the village of Silverstone just down the road (could walk there) at the back of the village sport & leisure club, beyond the cricket & football areas, a new astro track laid this summer on the site of the existing astro track, (you can find it on google maps - 'clicky' & zoom out -or in to view track ) there was a TC club in the sport & leisure building for years. Do not confuse these two venues.
Old 16-07-2010
Mad Member

Is it designed for racers, or more like kids parties and members of the public to visit as a day out. I don't think a corporate will be the same as you local club. It'll be all about the ££'s rather than the actual racing.
Old 16-07-2010
Mad Member

The BRCA are involved somehow as there linked at the bottom of the website

so i imagine that both public and racers will be well catered for
Old 16-07-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

I suspect, that the reason they have catered more for on road here is due mainly to the fact that it's easier to make the link from full size circuit to RC on road. i.e from a publicity point of view - you can have Touring cars being raced full size and scale on the same day etc. Can't really make that link at Silverstone for off rd.
Old 16-07-2010

Send a message via MSN to rich_cree

I'm all for it, bit pricey to be honest, a good venue is a good venue.

It desperately needs a 1/8 off road clay track indoors though, has anyone told these people about the Neobuggy race? Look at the interest that race attracts, in terms of entries requested it blows any British national series in any class out of the water I dare say.

Additionally a huge chunk of club racers don't even try and get an entry to that race as they assume they won't be chosen and feel a touch intimidated by it all, so in theory there are even more entries out there.
Old 16-07-2010
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

True, but thats a once a year international event so entry is bound to be higher.
Worksop is the most popular series with 200 entries per round consistently for the last 3 years; thats of course indoors on a slightly slippy offroad setup so yeah indoor dirt = great success, but what would outdoor dirt = in the UK do you think.... (Im talking 10th, I understand there are already 1/8th outdoor dirt tracks..)

PS im all for developing a well known captive market of motorsport enthusiast at any of the full size circuits like silverstone
Old 16-07-2010

Send a message via MSN to rich_cree

For sure buddy, I'm very excited about the idea of 1/10 or 1/8 indoor clay tracks! I'll happily take either!

I suggested 1/8 because if a venue is big enough for that, then a 1/10 layout can be created too easily enough.

Fingers crossed one or other is in the plans anyway..

edit - 200 entries per round, awesome!!!
Old 16-07-2010
Mad Member

Yeah i was at Gp at week end and you never guess who also knew about the new silverstone track?? Hamilton knew all about it ...........

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
http://www.fairfueluk.com/
Old 16-07-2010

http://www.moto-arena.co.uk/experiences.html

Judging by the diagram at the top of the page this place will be amazing
Old 16-07-2010

I'm going to watch this with interest.... on one hand I'm excited about such a place that raises the game in terms of what is expected facilities-wise from the venues at which we race, and anything that provides this country with a permanent indoor tarmac track can only be a good thing

Unfortunately i'm also rather sceptical about its success. Tracks normally get built when a group of like-minded individuals decide to build somewhere for themselves to race - never is it considered that money could be made from such a venture. This track at Silverstone appears to be set up almost with this sole intention. I think they are going to have to really draw in alot of people to make it worthwhile, with racing happening every night of the week as well as corporate activities during the day. It could really work but i'm not sure if there is the demand?

However, such a venue could seem like a more structured entry for a new-comer, I always think that clubs miss a trick - with very little in the way of introduction & instruction for new guys who turn up on a club night/meeting. With a well laid out reception area where drivers could book in & be instructed on what to do - posters & signs could further guide the new racer.... it certainly beats that intimidating process of hunting out the race director hiding in the corner of a caravan somewhere!
Old 16-07-2010

WOW!! this looks amazing and only 20 mins away!!!!
Summer looks booked
Old 16-07-2010

i went there on thursday. There will not be any 8th scale off road and the outdoor offroad track will not be big enough for large scale offroad.. they will be doing a dirt / grass offroad track for 1 10th.. The indoor track is tarmac and is HUGE.. oversized in my opinion as you can only run electic cars on it as they will only be racing electic inside and on the outdoor tarmac track will be nitro.
Old 16-07-2010

i found out alot of info from the guys setting up so if you want to ask some questions fire away.
Old 16-07-2010

Will they be doing regular "club" racing or is it just going to be one off races?

thanks,

Andrew,
Old 16-07-2010
Mad Member

Tony.
What exactly will we get for 75 notes?
Will you be on the Mic ?
Old 16-07-2010

yes they are planning club events during the week.. but they are looking at having a big event different classes every week. Not sure if the other tracks will be open on site when they have a big event on as not sure on how many staff they will have. As it take a team to run 1 event. As for the £75.. from what i can gather. I think you have use of the tracks, not events e.g testing or just to go round and round not sure if this gets you access to all the other facilitys like the virtual simulaters etc.
Old 16-07-2010

Knowing Silverstone like I do they are only in it for one thing WONGA ........Are Schumacher involved? or any big RRC concern .Yes it seems a great concept but not sure if it will make money and its on Silverstone buggy club's doorstep bit of a bummer for them after doing all the new work on their venue .

I know someone stated that their is not enough good venues but are there enough peeps nowdays?............ask Mr Springer he remembers meetings where you had to turn people awayand as for 600 quid...........I suppose Damon Hill has to eat
Old 16-07-2010
Mad Member

On the facebook page they are saying the off road track will be located near the force India building and will cater for rally x and large scale.

Tony if you think the indoor track is big (40mtrs) wait until to you see the outdoor (70mtrs) that's the straights
Old 16-07-2010
Mad Member

Just to let you guys know.
The BRCA and all the manufactures have been involved with this since the beginning.
A lot of advice has been taken and the originla plans have changed quite a bit after all of our input.
There is a lot of classes catered for all except 1/8th rally cross, but hey there are plenty of clubs for that class.
It really is an amazing project lot of dreams and big ideas we hope it will succeeed. It is a money making venture but at the very least we hope it will get some new blood into the sport.
This has been years in the planning and it seems unreal it is almost finished.
Not sure the membership thing will work at those costs they are aiming at Petrol heads rather than rc guys who dont budget for that.
Its exciting times to say the least.

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com